Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

bearsbybeesley bears by beesley TM
Tofield Alberta Canada

bear_sad Gosh! I am in a slump. Every bear I make these days looks like something my cat left me on the back door step!!!! I dont even have a cat!!! Tell's you a little about what I have been going through? I am not a happy camper. You know when all is well and all bears look like you want them to? Not now!!!!! Need words and words and words of encouragement guys!!!!Love yah all!!

Need a joke!

Love Louise:o:(:o:rolleyes::(:/:P

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Oooooohhh . . . so sorry, Louise.  Those blue funks can really be bummers, I know!!  Maybe you need a dammit doll . . . one of those little goodies that you can slam around whenever you need to physically vent.  I have the web address of where to get them if you'd like to look into it!!  bear_grin  Hope things get back on an even keel for you soon.  Big hugs,  Sue Ann

Delartful Bears Delartful Bears
Australia

Hrmmm a darnit doll - sounds "interesting" bear_rolleyes  Of course I'm guessing it's an American thing LOL  Just teasing

Louise, sorry to hear you are in a slump - must be difficult.  If it makes you feel better, I've NEVER seen a yuck bear of yours, perhaps you need to walk away from them for a while, come back to them when you are fresh....  Perhaps they'll look better then?  It was nice seeing one of your bears in another supplier's newsletter - along with my ORANGE (Yes Daphne,  I can do orange, can I do purple though?) bear!

Danni

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

Louise, Louise, Louise

Are you daft, girl?! bear_tongue I would kill to make bears like yours!!

But I know slumps. Maybe you need to splurge on bit of inspiration, like a new chunk of mohair??? :D

Eileen

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

Awww Louise!  First, I bet you are being really hard on yourself... and 2nd... maybe Eileen's suggestion is right on the money... a new chunk of mohair! 

I got one at the April ABC Show in Schaumburg as a treat to myself.  Something I probably wouldn't have gotten normally.  (1" dense curly kid mohair purple batik!)  It's so pretty I just want to run my fingers thru it!!  It's given me an idea for a pretty bear (hope it turns out to be a GIRL!) but I haven't done her yet... but just thinking about her has given me so many other ideas that I HAVE started.

Tofield Alberta Canada

Thank you guys! You have all made me feel better. I do need a damit doll however or I am going to start slamming Garnet around Ha Ha!! Little do you guys know how tempting that is at times. I have been married to this man for 32 years and he deserves a smack now and again!:D:D Just kidding????? Anyway I feel so much better, thanks guys.

Hugs Louise

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Louise, you may get your dammit doll from  www.rags-n-tags.com/  Just click on "Prim Folk" in the left column and scroll down.  I LOVE what the tag says!!  Also, at this site, you can buy the walnut stain ink crystals that will dye just about anything!!  It's great for using on mohair to "grunge" it up a little.  Glad you're feeling better!  bear_original

Wisdom Bears Wisdom Bears
Ayrshire, Scotland.

Sorry Louise you feel a bit down ,but I think everyone goes through these phases. I have been married for 47 years and believe me I have not gone all that time without being down at times, in fact I could call it some other names ,but won't bore you with the details. Take a wee rest from bears and give yourself some time out and I bet you come back with lots of new ideas. I have the ideas ,but I don't think its a sellers market at the moment, so I cannot get myself motivated. Take Care .Hugs Rita.xxxx

PS. I have not seen one of your so called bad bears yet.

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

The things that re-motivate my bearmaking when I get slump-y tend to include: 

--  acquiring new mohair;
--  discovering a new craft skill I can use to accessorize and finish my bears, and then buying/reading a book on it (like beaded flowers, ribbonwork, hatmaking etc.);
--  a look back at all the bears I've completed (I keep a photo catalog for reference and viewing it reminds me of the creativity I'm capable of and how many happy collectors I've touched); and
--  a "for-no-good-reason" trip to a craft or fabric store, where I am instantly overwhelmed with ideas about color combinations, textures, detailing, and themes.

But when none of that will do, and I simply need some escape and some "me" time, I am also invigorated by:

--  a pedicure (with foot massage, of course);
--  chocolate;
--  coffee;
--  a great movie;
--  plopping on the sofa and watching five consecutive episodes of "Sex & the City" with my husband, until the wee hours;
--  coffee, again;
--  finding an excellent bargain on a really cute designer purse/pair of shoes/blouse at a discount store;
--  spicy Thai food;
--  nachos; or
--  a quick day trip to somewhere fantastic and visually stimulating, like San Francisco -- the best city in the world -- where I can get absolutely saturated with culture, faces, colors, and ideas just by breathing in the air.

Wheeeee!  I feel happy already, and I didn't DO any of those things; I just WROTE about them!

Yes, this board IS bear-apy.

Hope this helps! bear_happy

Winney Winneybears and Friends
White City, Oregon

Oh Louise...feeling bad ?  Take all your bears and line them up then hugs each one 2 times...now, that will help you to start feeling  better.
Oh, I have an idea for you...you have heard the old saying " If you can't beat them join them "? Hmmmm, maybe it would be fun to make a bear and grunge him up on purpose...kind of an antique style, or a hobo bum bear ? I just can't feature me making a darnit bear and drop kicking him across the room ..hmmmmm, maybe I could make a husband doll ! LOL...now, that's a thought. For those of you who don't have a husband ...make a boss darn it doll.

I get into those slumps too sometimes, I can't create when I am angry or feeling very  negative about a situation or about  someone.  I can't afford to "Shop til I drop" ....what works for me is to buy a new bear book and escape to dream...I can also escape for awhile to shop and dream on Ebay...dang it ! I'll find somnething to cheer me up ! LOL

Then sometimes it is just time to take a walk and reflect and try and turn that negative around into something positive...I talk to the Lord while I am walking and tell Him how and why I am hurt or angry... I ALWAYS feel better  later on...if I don't then I take another walk !

If my husband notices he will say " what's wrong " I just tell him the truth, " I need to get away from you for awhile .... and while I am at it, I talk it over with the LOrd because I can't get anywhere talking it over with you ".
Is that ever bold or what ?
Then sometimes I don't say anything but take a walk then I just wait...for the LOrd to do His work on the situation...I just wait and know it will get better, at least I no longer have my heart destroyed  in the process.
Life does get in the way to mess things up a bit when you want to be a happy  positive person. Hope this helps...and heres a big bear hug ((((( U ))))) ...Winney

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Ahhhh Louise,

I think you misplaced your perspective, honey.  :|

So I'll tell you a secret about slumps-this is from the psych nurse not the goof that posts on this site- ;)

Slumps really are important because BECAUSE (quiet all the rest of you, your slump will come)

Because your subconscious needs this time to rejuvenate. Rest.  ( Being creative is hard work, even if you love it.)  There isn't a true artist in the world-no matter the medium-that hasn't had slumps-many of them....really.....

Even though YOU don't perceive what is going on in that creative brain of yours, your brain does, it is taking in impressions, it is resting and it is preparing you for the next onslaught of artworkplay that is just around the corner.

All of Shelli's suggestions are wonderful.  I encourage you to take them  all of them=-hey why not!

Just look at how far you have come, look where you are, and you haven't peaked yet! 

(I always keep that part in mind-because if we aren't continuinally improving our art/craft we really will stagnate.  My dad, although not on purpose, taught me this, because he was never completely satisfied with his art and always felt that he could do better.  He felt that if God gave him this talent then who was he to do a halfassed job?  He had to do his very very very best, because, after all, it was for God!)

Look at this as a time of rest before you start again-and know that you will because you have so much left in you yet to give.!:D

Sending you the very best wishes and prayers

Wonky Dilu

Tofield Alberta Canada

Thanks All!!! I truely love you guys. I just had a glass of wine and put my feet up and stuffed my face with a chocolate bar. I feel Great!!!

Love and hugs Louise

huggleybear C.W. Huggley Bears
Statham, GA

Dilu,

Thank you so much for your wisdom and inspiration!! bear_original  There has been a lot going on in my life lately and I guess I have been a a kind of slump too.  Have not been too inspired or creative. I know some of it is because of my internal confusion of late but also I just cannot seem to get a creative idea going.  Very frustrating to say the least. But what you said makes a lot of sense.  Thank you!  I am leaving for vacation in a couple of days to go visit one of my sons and my grandkids and I think I will take this time to rejuvenate....and come back with lots of ideas.

While I am gone I am going to scour the local antiqe and "what not" shops and see if I can find some "good things" for my bear making.

Again, thank you for widsom and helping me with an attitude change.

HUGS to you! bear_laugh

Tofield Alberta Canada

Dilu , your words of encouragement are wonderful and so wise. I thank you for them. I will take your advice and just relax for a bit and I already feel better. Your inspiration is truely appreciated.

Hugs Louise

Well Ladies,
You're welcome; but

I suspect the chocolate has a lot to do with feeling better too!  :)

Dilu  bear_tongue

gotobedbears Posts: 3,177

Glad you're over the Dumps Louise - it's difficult to stay down when there are so many cheery beary girls here don't you think?

Penny bear_happy

clare14 Country Bears
England

Hi Louise!

Oooh chocolate and wine, mmmm, ANYWAY, hum, why don't you try something COMPLETELY DIFFERENT??   Different colours, sizes, TOTALLY DIFFERENT!!   It's good to get a break from the Old Routine as they say - go on be a devil!!!   

Clare x

Great idea Clare

Only maybe not to be cutting mohair right after the wine.....otherwise, yep let's do it!

Dillydilu bear_tongue

Marion Acid Attic Bears
Versailles

Dilu, you're right :D.
Louise, I hope you will think differently about your bears very soon : they are so sweet !
I have a suggestion : come to France next week, we will go to Paris, or wherever you want and I will take care of you in order to make this blue leave:).
(In fact, if any of you girl want to come some day, my house is open and I can make sweet chocolate cakes :). )
Chocolate hugs ;),
Marion

Delartful Bears Delartful Bears
Australia

Ooh Paris, I wanna go, I wanna go!!!!!!!!!!  bear_rolleyes

Marion Acid Attic Bears
Versailles

I'm waiting for you, Danni :).

Marie_ Kiprie Bears
Yokohama, Japan

Hello everyone!

Hi Louise, I'm sorry that you are in  slump ...
good to hear that you feel better now.

You are all so nice and funny !
Now I know what to do in slump season:P

Marion, I love your bear in avatar ! Is he
big bear? So cute !

Bear hugs/Marie

Marion Acid Attic Bears
Versailles

I love your bear too, Marie:). She is very very cute:). I wish you can show us some others soon:).
Nooj (my avatar bear) is near 32 cm (~10,5 inches) :). I'm very happy he pleases you:).
Hugs:),
Marion

Tofield Alberta Canada

Giggle Giggle Giggle. You ladies crack me up! Your all so sweet. The advice has cheered me up and I appreciate all the kind words ladies. Love yah all!! PARIS here I come!!!

Hugs Louise

Marion Acid Attic Bears
Versailles

Just tell me when you arrive:).

Board footer