Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Blog-Rach-joe-jumping.jpgBlog-Jolene-02.jpgBlog-Rach-Jolene-07.jpg---BB--B-B-Be-Be-Beautiful!!!!

Her name is Jolene and she is a cross-club breed lamb.  Since we are a dairy farm with Registered Holsteins we don't know much about sheep.  But we're learning.

Jolene is the only girl from a sheep who had triplets in Feb of this year.  Her two brothers will be show animals but Jolene is known as a "scrub" in the sheep show world.  She has the genetics and breeding but is not quite rigth for showing.
However, she has certainly won our hearts.

Jolene belongs to my daughter Rachel (whose name means 'lamb') and for the first time I totally understand the rhyme, Mary Had A Little Lamb ".....and everywhere that Mary went the lamb was sure to go."

Jolene follows Rachel everywhere...absolutely everywhere.  We just can't get over how cute it is to watch.
Blog-Rach-Jolene-08.jpg

Yesterday we had a picnic on our front lawn with Jolene.  She just sat close to us while we enjoyed our picnic and the shadows of the clouds rolling across our green fields.
Blog-Joey-Jolene-01.jpg

Blog-Rach-Jolene-01.jpg
This last photo was taken just before she had a bath.

Now I am wondering if I might be able to use her wool for needle felting.  I would need to card it and clean it but have never done this.  Any ideas?

rufnut Rufnut Teddy's
Victoria Australia

She is beautiful :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

Marlys Waggle Bears
So Cal Desert

Her two brothers will be show animals but Jolene is known as a "scrub" in the sheep show world.  She has the genetics and breeding but is not quite rigth for showing.
However, she has certainly won our hearts.

Judi, when I scrolled down to the second picture, my thought was that she looks just like a show lamb...not that I know anything about lambs, either, but she just seems to have the stance and her head held high.  The pictures are so cute. I imagine Rachel is in heaven.

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Yes, Marlys, I think Jolene thinks she is a show lamb when I saw her standing like that.  She comes from a long line of show sheep.  She has such a winning personality...and is just...well....gentle as a lamb. bear_wub

I don't know if all sheep follow people around...I suspect they probably do.  We're having fun learning.

Bumpkin Bears Bumpkin Bears
Antwerp, Belgium

awwwwwww she is just gorgeous, I used to help on the farm next to my Granny's growing up and hand reared many lambs, gosh how I would love to have my own lamb again  bear_wub

Lamby hugs,
Catherine xx

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

Oh my gosh she is simply adorable!!! My favorite photo is the one of Jolene following Rachel  bear_wub

desertmountainbear desertmountainbear
Bloomsburg, PA

Judi,  Both children and lamb are gorgeous,  I have just purchased raw wool for the first time,  I usually buy it washed.  I have been washing it for two days now, and it is not that hard.  Wash it first to get all the grease out and then card.  It is a real treat to see this smelly dirty wool come out so white and fluffy.  When it is time to shear her I'm sure you'll get lots of help on how to clean it
Joanne

Melbear Melbear's Quality Collectibles
Spruce Grove, Alberta
Website

omg .. sooooo cute!!!  bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub .. heehee. That is just way too funny how she follows your daughter around.. heehee.

You should be able to use her wool for needle felting, I don't think it's all that hard to get clean.. I'm sure if you do a search for it online someone will tell you how. I have bought raw mohair locks and washed them.. I just had to be careful not to matt them! lol.
Hugs!
Melanie

bearsofbath Bears Of Bath
Bath, UK
Website

'ADORABLE' Jodi  bear_thumb  Thank you for sharing your pictures of Jolene with us. They are lovely to see.

TamiL Dolls N Dreams
Aurora, Colorado

She is beautiful and I have heard they are very smart?
I don't know how some people could eat lamb  bear_sad  bear_sad  bear_sad

Michelle Helen Chaska, Minnesota

awww,  Jolene is beautiul!!! I want one!!! bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub

millie PottersHouse Bears
Ohio

Wow, I am jealous of you Judi.  You are in for a world of fun with this little one.  Yes, sheep are followers.  The catch is that they follow their leader.  When I had angora goats (they are goats with sheep temperment)  they knew my voice.  I could call them in at any time, but they did not answer to another voice.  The Bible does refer to the sheep shall know the voice of the shepherd.  You and your family are Jolene's shepherd.

chrissibrinkley Posts: 1,836

Oh she's Gorgeous!!!  My cousin had sheep on his farm, they were like puppies!  These were big sheep too but they came to him when he called and followed him around the pasture.  They each knew their own name.

She looks so cute with her little sheepy model pose there!   

:hug:
~Chrissi

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Thanks guys.  Gosh I am learning more about sheep already, just from reading your posts. bear_thumb  bear_wub

I never realized before what a good pet a sheep is.  When I was outside yesterday with my children and Jolene, I said her name and she ran straight to me with ears perked.  She is just like a puppy.  We just love her.

Joann, you can see in the last picture I posted how dirty she is.  The first picture was shortly after her bath...but even then, we did not wash her as thoroughly as we could have...we didn't want to stress her out as she is still very new to us.  But even so..her coat really brightened up.  I believe they are shorn (is that how you say it?) in the Spring.  She has aready been shorn and next Spring we'll have someone come and do it.  Then I'll see what her wool is like. bear_happy

Kilde Posts: 186

Congratulations on your new family member, Judi - Jolene is so beautiful (always loved sheep)  bear_wub  bear_wub

My sister-in-law and her husband breed sheep (not the same breed as yours but wool is wool I guess.... bear_grin ) I use the wool for stuffing my bears. I machine wash the wool - usually 2-3 times (it STINKS when it is being washed!!) - and in the last wash I use my own "recipe" for detergent that takes that last smell out of the wool. Its the lanoline in the wool that makes it smell but you can easily get rid of the smell if you wash it a couple of times and use 2/3 of perfume free fabric softener and 1/3 vinegar. I use a duvet cover to wash the wool in and let it dry outside laying flat on a table. I don't know if the wool on Jolene is any different from the wool I use but I don't card it - I just pull little pieces of the wool from each other and keep pulling little pieces until I get "fluffy" wool pieces .... hope I'm making sense!  bear_grin

Good luck with Jolene  bear_flower

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

Oh Judi, Jolene is adorable. I don't know much at all about sheep but Jolene looks a reall fine young lady to me.  bear_wub

Hugs, Jane.  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

New Avenue Crew New Avenue Crew by Debora Hoffmann
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Website

Jolene is so adorable! I love the pic of her running after your daughter. bear_smile You live in such a gorgeous place, too--I'm trying not to be jealous. bear_whistle  We have had VERY LITTLE rain here in Colorado Springs, so the hills are still brown and we had 5% humidity yesterday. bear_ermm

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Aaahhh - 5% humidity is wonderful compared to 95 degrees and 50% humidity here in the Dallas area.  We lived in Colo. Spgs. for 3 1/2 years. 

Judi, Jolene is adorable and so cute with your beautiful children.  So glad she brings your family such joy!  bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub

lapousmor Sophie Z'Ours
Sarthe, France

So cuuuuute!
I hope you all ahve lot of fun with Jolene...

Beary hugs,
Sophie.

New Avenue Crew New Avenue Crew by Debora Hoffmann
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Website
SueAnn wrote:

Aaahhh - 5% humidity is wonderful compared to 95 degrees and 50% humidity here in the Dallas area.  We lived in Colo. Spgs. for 3 1/2 years.

Whoa! I'll take the 5% over the hot and humid!  bear_cool Hope you enjoyed living in the Springs--we love it! We've been here a little more than three years.

patsylakebears Patsy Lake Bears
Sydney

She is beautiful Judi  bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub

fredbear Fred-i-Bear
Johannesburg
Website

Judi, how exciting. I am sure she will gladly give you some of her "wool" and look forward to seeing what you create with it, while at the same time she is sure to bring you and your daughter many happy hours.

God's creatures are just the best.

Lynette

Lisa q.D.paToOtieS
Near Fredericksburg, VA

Now that's just about the cutest thing I've ever seen!  So SWEET!!! bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Thanks for your comments.  Rachel has been reading them over my shoulder.

Tina, thank you very much for the tip on washing the wool.  I will definitely try that.  I had also heard of using Biolage shampoo.  If the wool does not work out for felting then I will try it for natural stuffing. bear_thumb

Wow Debra and Sue Ann...5% humidity.  Have you seen on your news the house that fell into a river in Wisconsin Dells?  My aunt in England said it made their news broadcast.  The Dells are about three hours from us and the entire lower half of our state is flooded.  We're fine up here. 
Yesterday it was only 60 degrees.  Wacky!!

Board footer