Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

Jane Perala Jane Perala Designs Ltd.
Vancouver Island, B.C., Canada

Well, I guess it is no surprise to a lot of you, cconsidering my absence from TT of late.  I have decided to take a sabbatical until the end of the year.  I want to pursue my lampworking (making glass beads).  Both bearmaking and lampworking are very demanding passtimes, and I have tried to fit them both in, but it is not working.  I figure I will give myself to the end of the year, and then will have to make a decision as to which direction I am going to go.  I have signed up for 4 Christmas Craft fairs with my beads, so that will give me an indication as to whether it will work or not.
I am selling my stash of mohair and supplies to help pay for the glass and supplies needed to make beads.  If I decide to go back to bears, I can always buy some more.  Maybe not some of the collectible pieces I had, but that is OK.
Keep an eye on my ebay auctions for great deals on supplies over the next couple of weeks - my studio is a MESS!!
Thanks to you all  :hug:

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

:hug:   Best of luck in your new artistic pursuits Jane!!!  Here's hoping you can come back to your bears later though  bear_wub

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

That lampworking is such a tempting diversion, isn't it, Jane???  lol...  My passion for it burned out after a while but I can see how it would stay lit for some, in spades.  It's incredibly addictive.  Show us your beads,please; you must have them online somewhere (website, eBay, WetCanvas, etc.)???

I'm PMing you.

GOOD LUCK to you!!  And put on your thick skin.  I've seen those flameworkers work flaming like no one else.

Aleta - The Silly Bear The Silly Bear
Portland, Oregon
Website

I do understand taking a sabbatical.  I should probably do that at some point myself.  I just can't seem to put away the mohair though!! 

I'll definitely be peeking in to see what you're selling!!  I'll miss seeing your beautiful bears though.  I hope you can find a way to do both beads and bears....even if it means just one bear every so often.

Thinking of you with warm bear hugs and with best wishes on your new adventure!!  :hug:
Aleta

chrissibrinkley Posts: 1,836

Jane,
I'm honored to have one of your bears, he's right here with me all the time.  If you do go FT with beads I hope maybe you'll be able to create a bear now and again, your attention to detail & designs are truly wonderful.  But that's carried over to lampworking and I'm sure you'll be super successful with it too (I've seen a few of your auctions....your beads are gorgeous!)   bear_flower

I'll keep an eye out for your stash auctions!

:hug:
~Chrissi

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Aw, Jane, we will miss you and your terrific bears, but guess the many of us that dabble in other arty pursuits sometimes have to see if a different direction is what our lives need.  Hope you have a wonderful time deciding which way to go and much good luck with the lampwork adventure.

Marlys Waggle Bears
So Cal Desert

Ah, darn, Jane,  bear_sad  I love your bears and will miss seeing them here. But I do understand the need to focus on your lampwork to give yourself a fair chance at it. I will you well with this new direction, but I hope to see bears on occasion after your sabbatical.

I didn't know you were auctioning your beads, I'm guessing on ebay...I check on it as I'd love to see your work. I'd love to take a look at your stash auctions, too.

Gail Bear With Me Enterprises
Website

Hi Jane
Best of luck with your new found addiction. I for one will miss your beautiful bears but am fortunate that I also own one of them
Hugs
Gail

Jane Perala Jane Perala Designs Ltd.
Vancouver Island, B.C., Canada

Beads---sassy.jpgBeads---hearts.jpgBeads---chantilly.jpgOK - Shelli asked me to post a couple of pictures of my beads.  I have a really hard time photographing my beads.  I need to get a camera with a macro lens, not just a macro setting, but that is very expensive.  So please excuse the bad pics.
Chantilly
The pic came out in the wrong place - the bead is a 1" focal and is called Chantilly.
The hearts are a couple I did recently, and they now "reside" in England.
The black with pink flowers are a set that unfortunately didn't sell on Ebay.

That's it for now!

Marlys Waggle Bears
So Cal Desert

Jane, these are gorgeous! You are very, very talented.

I'm sending you a PM.

Cheshire Cat Wilmslow Cheshire

Wow Jane these are lovely ,really nice.I have always admired these sorts of beads ,never quite understood why it is called lampwork ? Best of luck ,
hugs,
Louise x

Jack&Lilia Jack & Lilia
Gloucestershire
Website

Jane I can quite see why you're hooked on the lampwork...your beads are beautiful  bear_wub ....but I also adore your bears! bear_wub ....do pop into TT and keep us up to date with your ventures....lots of luck for your shows  bear_thumb
Lynne  :hug:

Barling Bears Barling Bears
Nr. Maidstone, Kent
Website

Hi Jane,

You are one very talented lady!  Your beads are beautiful, as are your bears.  Good luck with your new venture and would love to see more of your work.

Hugs

Marilyn bear_flower

Michelle Helen Chaska, Minnesota

Dear Jane: I wish you the best with your beads. You are a very talented bear artist. But people move on to new things and you can always come back to bear making.  Oh and by the way, your beads are beautiful!!

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Oh Jane,  you will be missed as will your kritters, but I love that you are doing lampwork!
How fun and what a great challenge!

Best wishes on your new endevour- I understand that glass beads can be quite the trick to learn, but oh so beautiful....I like collecting them....but will stick to porcelain....

I am not sure what it is you think you need to learn camera wise, those beads are simply gorgeous-and who wouldn't be thrilled to ownb one of those peices!  You certainly have a talent for this!

dili

dillu

Gijzette Elfin Bears
Mount Dora FL
Website

Jane,

I will miss seeing your bears and I hope you will still make one from time to time.

Your bead work is stunning I can see why you are so enamored with it. Best of luck with the lamp work.

Hugs,

Little Bear Guy Little Bear Guy
Waterloo, Ontario

Jane you will definitely be missed, but sometimes we all need a break and try something new and exciting.  You lampwork is just fantastic and best of luck with that new venture, but do hope you make a bear now and then as they are so adorable.

big hugs and good luck

Shane

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

Way to go Jane. Never be afraid to follow your heart. If you make buttons? I am in the market for some unique one of a kind type of glass buttons.  bear_thumb
Wendy

Jellybelly Bears Jellybelly Bears
Australia

Awww Jane, thats sad for us, but I do understand, you sort of put all other things aside, bears are very consuming in every way bear_tongue  Your beads are amazing, wow, you are gifted in that craft too.  Have fun!!   :hug:

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

Your beads are to die for Jane. No wonder you feel pulled in two directions.
Wendy bear_thumb

Amanda Pandy Potter Bears
Staffordshire, UK

Good luck. I had 2007 completely away from bearmaking. We were renovating the house we had purchased and it was hard work and very stressful, I just could not concentrate on bears. Even the forums I frequented in the evening were about plumbing or house selling as our old house was for sale. If I'd tried to do my bears they would have just been a chore to do, not like now when I enjoy doing them. All the best, with whatever works out. :hug:

Terrie Terries Bears
Sherwood Park, Alberta, Canada

Jane, I am going to miss seeing the pictures of your sweet little
girly bears and hopefully you will feel like creating  them again someday. Your beads are gorgeous!  and they are probaby just as addicting to make as bears bear_original  Best of luck in your new venture, it is always exciting to do something new!

valewoodbears Valewood Bears
Yorkshire
Website

Oh what gorgeous beads, you have fun doing what you love and I am sure a few bears will be born in between.  Good luck with your new venture, you are very talented.

Pauline

Mutz Mutz's Tootsz Bears & Buds
New Berlin, Wisconsin

Jane,
Will miss seeing your bears, but your beads are delightfull! Please keep in touch and show off what you are up to.
TTFN
Amy

edie Bears by Edie
Southern Alberta

Jane, your beads are absolutely fantastic - I can see why you want to follow this pursuit! Do keep in touch with us though and I hope we will see a few more bears from you sometime in the future. (Glad I already have one though just in case!) Good luck with your new venture!

Board footer