Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

tarnuf Hamilton New Zealand

:hug: Hi everyone. I have a small problem. I have seen sum fur fabric on overseas shops. My problem is I dont have a credit card and am woundering how I can pay for the fabric.:love:

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

What about money orders?

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

How about Paypal...if they take it..some do...you can debit straight from your bank account.

Jenny

melissa Honeythorpe Bears
Wellington, New Zealand
Website

What kind of fabric do you like??  There are a couple of suppliers here in NZ if you know where to look and so you could pay by cheque.  and you can also sometimes pick up fabric on trademe.  I will put in a disclaimer that I sell occassionally on trademe and so I do have a vested interest  but there are several people that sell fabric there as well.  You can get a good buy if you are careful what you bid on.

You need to have a credit card to use Paypal from New Zealand so that isn't an option (unless the rules have changed, they won't accept NZ debit (eft-pos) cards).

Feel freee to email me if you have any questions...I know how daunting it is to order from overseas when you live here - it took me ages to pluck up the courage.

Marie_ Kiprie Bears
Yokohama, Japan

I think most of store do accept money orders
but only thing that I don't like money orders because in Japan, I have to pay 1000JPY(about $10.00) as money order charge ...  :doh: isn't that expensive ??
still money order should be available in you area too !
Good Luck and welcome to TT !
If you order your mohair and after you created one
please please post your bear photo in here !
We love to see our friend's creation at here!  :hug:

Hugs/Marie

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

Marie is absolutely right. I just bought something from Germany and got charged £10 extra for the money order. My advice is set up a small bank account just for buying for your bear making habit. Then set up a Paypal account and you can then buy online from many places without the high charges of a money order.

Jane  bear_original

Amanda Pandy Potter Bears
Staffordshire, UK

I had a lovely lady that did not take notice of my paypal only for a bear she bid on. She sent me a money order in Sterling (she was from Belgium) it cost me nothing to cash it at it was in my currency, but I am sure it cost her more. It was so easy for me but I suppose for you that could be the only way to do it. Ask the post office what it charges to convert your money into the foreign money on a money order. The supplier will not usually mind if its their currency, as like me it cost them nothing.
I like paypal (inspite of the costs when accepting) as you deal in any currency. I paid for some fabric off Sassy's in Canada. I used my paypal (I already had money in the account from a bear sale) it just converts my pounds to dollars at the currnt exchange rate, dead easy, fabric was with me just over a week later, and you pay no exchange fees.

Irene Irenours-bears
France

Oh Marie, it's more expensive here, but what to do else when you are an bear aholic???? bear_laugh

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

money orders in the us at post office (domestic) are $.90 and international are like $3 I think... wow you girls are getting ripped off!

Helena Bears-a-Bruin!
Macclesfield, UK

Any kind of exchange seems to be expensive here Kim! I had a buyer who insisted on paying with a dollar money order (despite my auction saying 'sterling only') and it cost me £10 to pay it into my account....  bear_angry Because of the hassle I'd had just getting the money at all, I took the loss, but such high charges do annoy me.

I'm looking forward to the day when we in the UK can handle international bank transfers more easily (at least within Europe). Does anyone here use them?

Densteds Densteds
Website

Hi,
Paypal is the best way to go, and being so close to Australia, Bearycheap & Gerry's have mail order, and often have specials..being in NZ you might even be able to buy money orders in AU dollars, that way the bearsuppliers don't have to pay the exchange rate..

Kim..
the money orders aren't expensive to buy, it's the exchange rate & bank fees when the receiver tries to deposit it into her account..I think the bank charges about $10 in Australia, might even be more now..

Denise

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_ermm It might be worth trying BidPay:

www.bidpay.com

BidPay allows the buyer to pay for a money order by credit card or bank transfer, but then the buyer pays the fees, not the seller. There's a waiting period for 'approval', but it's brief. The money order is then sent to the seller by 1st class mail.

Some sellers I've bought from specify only BidPay. I can see why!

Eileen

Dilu Posts: 8,574

I'm with Jane-I have a business account (she types laughingly) and it is tied to a paypal account.  Almost everyone takes paypal- I haven't run across anyone who doesn't. 

I don't think I would be comfortable having our reg. account tied to paypal though-a little paranoid.

OH, why was i laughing at the business account-well I keep it healthy by having weekly infusions from the reg. account.  :D

When you have paypal there can be a small charge for currency conversions. But the 2% service charge is paid by the seller who tacks the charge into the products sold and sees it as a part of doing global business.

Hugs

bear_tongue

Board footer