Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

Annnik JustMerde
Bells & Sherman, Texas
Website

I recieve an email every morning regarding my bank account.  This morning, it showed 2 transactions that didn't belong to me.  Now the bank can't do much until tomorrow, but they have been very helpful so far.  I do, however, have to close the account and open a new one.  Here's what happened:

Apparently PayPal or eBay has given Skype my BANKING information.  It's one of eBay's companies.  Either someone HACKED Skype or Skype just trolls around and CHARGES PEOPLE hoping they don't notice $18 or $20 charges.  I searched the internet regarding Skype and this is a problem that has been ON-GOING FOR OVER 4 YEARS.  People with eBay or PayPal account with a credit/debit card attached are at risk.  eBay's response to all that I have read has been "Skype is a third-party" and eBay has no control over them... EBAY BOUGHT SKYPE 3 YEARS AGO.

bear_angry  bear_angry  bear_angry  bear_angry  bear_angry  bear_angry

Anyhoo... watch yer accounts closely people!!  And you need to TURN OFF notification of, and TO, third-parties in you profiles.  I didn't even know I had that turned on!! 

Hopefully the lovely bank people will take care of everything tomorrow, but it's a pain to have to change everything.

bear_sad

Marlys Waggle Bears
So Cal Desert

Thank you, Anne, for letting us know. I recently opened my own bank account for bears and I do have a Paypal and was considering attaching it to my credit card. I don't use ebay to sell, though, so maybe it doesn't effect me. I'm not attaching my bank account to it, though.

Kristina Kristina Bears
Edmonton
Website

Thanks for the info!  :hug:

I've recently had a charge on my visa which I never okay'd by google...now I have to go through the dispute thing and I got myself a new credit card....pain in the butt!

How do I go about turning the Off button?? Did you do that for paypal or ebay?? I don't want to take any more chances!

Kristina

Annnik JustMerde
Bells & Sherman, Texas
Website

Kristina, I did that for PayPal... under "My Account" -> "Profile" -> "Account Information" -> "Notifications", down at the bottom of that is a section titled "Information Sharing"  UNCHECK THAT BOX!!

Like I said, I have NO IDEA exactly what went on, wether they were hacked or just shady and illegal pratices... can't say until it goes all the way through and/or we get in contact with Skype.  BUT... Skype's "phone number" is consistantly giving a busy signal and their contact form won't transmit, conviently for them! 

My bank is issue-ing me a new card, at my expense.  But they said they will refund any fees and return the transaction amount once it clears the bank.  (still hasn't yet, just "pending")... 

yep.  just a pain in the butt!!

Board footer