Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

Lhearn Critters Creations
Alberta
Website

What kind of bears or critters do you like to collect?......cute.....fluffy.....realistic......crazy...only real fur bears?????

Also do you collect bears, critters or only creat them?

I started out creating and selling bears and now have a small collection of bears and critters as well.  I have a couple of bears I made and decided to keep.

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

bear_laugh   My itty bitty collection consists of whatever makes me smile and laugh each time I look at it.   bear_wub   So I have a very eclectic collection indeed.  The styles really do vary from each and every bear.... I have 1 antique bear, one intended to look that way by Nancy Tillberg, one very beary blue bear created just for me by our own Daphne, and another that is not only created just especially for me, but is my only swap bear created by our own Tammy.  Each one positively treasured and loved  bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

I am an artist and a collector!  I only have 2 of my own bears - the very first one I did and one I did last year.  Well, technically she's a bunny :)

I collect all different styles of artist bears - contemporary and antique looking.  The ones with the "Awww" factor and ones that make me laugh (The Bear Guys and Art Rogers!)  I also have a couple of recycled fur bears.   I'd say I have a small-medium sized collection of about 60 artist bears - give or take...

At first my hubby thought I was nuts to keep buying other artist's bears when I started making them myself.  Now he finally understands that each person has their own look... and heck, I started out as a COLLECTOR!  And that wasn't going to stop  :crackup:

desertmountainbear desertmountainbear
Bloomsburg, PA

I have a  small collection of antique and vintage bears.  I just love the well loved look. I just today purchased my very first artist bear from Christine the Lonely Artist.  I can't wait to see her in person, it may be the beginning of a whole new collection.
Joanne

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

I started out collecting Bialosky bears and Gunds about 20 years ago and moved on to Boyds, and before I discovered miniature artist bears and that was it.  I created my first minis and had no trouble parting with them - I don't have a need to keep my own bears. 

I thought I had about a dozen artist bears - I just counted them and I have over 30, including three my son sent me by artists in South Korea.
I have kept two miniature ones that I made for my two kids, as I knew I couldn't make tiny ones anymore.    I used to collect a lot more when I did shows - I tried to trade for one bear at each show and that was wonderful.  I treasure those bears, as I feel I've captured a wee bit of their maker's personality in each one.    I've always loved antique bears - just could never afford the real thing LOL, so I don't often buy anymore.   When I do, I gravitate towards antique style, tattered, old looking teds and I adore my bears by Forget-Me-Not and Gillian Mitchell.  I also have few of the R. John Wright Beatrix Potter series.  His work is amazing.

hugs,

Brenda

nimbleknot Cupcake Bears
Austin, Texas
Website

My few bears are old and used. I love looking at the new beautifully crafted bears but would probably never buy one. I drool over old bears in antique stores, maybe because they have a history and were the center of somebody's universe at one time.

I have a huge collection of Breyer horses. Something I have been collecting for over 35 years.

Little Bear Guy Little Bear Guy
Waterloo, Ontario

We create and collect bears or birds or whatever makes us smile.  I have a good collection of Art Rogers critters, Big Cat, bear, monkey, bird,  and have a couple from Barbara Burke and one of the nicest bears I have in my collection is a little black bear with an open mouth from Christine Pike.  It really does depend on the bear, when I saw the monkey Art made I feel in love with it instantly but then when he pointed out that he had air brushed nipples on it well I knew I had to have it  :crackup:  :crackup: that made the sale right there.  See it's stuff like that you remember about buying a bear or critter at a show, I can point to each bear and know when and what show I bought it at because you buy the experience as well as the bear or critter.

big hugs

Shane

melissa Honeythorpe Bears
Wellington, New Zealand
Website

I have a tiny collection of tiny bears.  If I go to a show in Aussie, I bring a bear home with me as a souvenir of my trip...not quite in the same price bracket as a fridge magnet but it's exactly as Shane says above - you look at the bear and remember the whole experience of the trip. 

My collection is quite ecclectic - a mix of traditional (Joan Easton, Starick Bears) sassy dressed girl bears (Karen Alderson) and almost as many critters as bears - bunnies by Laura Unrau and Alexis Young, a Rosey Day duck and one of Karen's bluebirds amongst others.  The critters are there because they make me smile each and every time I look at them

I do have a couple of bigger bears in my collection - and when I have a bigger house, I'll add some more.  There's just no room at the moment  bear_sad

Lhearn Critters Creations
Alberta
Website

I don't get to any shows because of where I live, so the only way I buy a bear is on line and I have swaped a couple of bears here on TT. I am some day to go to a bear show. I love all the pictures that are posted here from different ones here going to the shows. Makes me fell like I am there. Thank You!
If a bear tugs at my heart then I want it. I have a couple of real fur bears Tammy of Beckoning Bears, Krista of K Paws, Vicki of Baggaley Bears, Kelly of Canna a Bear Paint, Nina Potter, Laniebears, Melissa, Edie....about 15 in my collection plus christmas ornaments. They are all different sizes and types.

Bumpkin Bears Bumpkin Bears
Antwerp, Belgium

thanks for starting this thread Lynn, it's great to hear about all your collections - photos pretty please  bear_smile   I have always loved teddy bears and have quite a collection in my studio, all of which are either antique that had belonged to my granny and mum or have been given to me since I was a child.  I just love bears to be able to hug, they bring so much comfort and happiness to my life as I'm sure you all understand.  I have a few bears made by myself including the first one I ever made, fun to look back on where I started.  I get attached to each bear I make but I let them go to their new homes and it is such a wonderful feeling when I hear how much they are loved  bear_smile

Can't wait to hear more from others,
HUGS,
Catherine x

Gemma82 Wakefield
Website

Yep, we need pics!! bear_flower

EvaJ EJ's Crafts
Fort Mohave, Arizona

I have bears in every room in my house in one form or another.  I usually don't keep the ones I have created except one real fur bear that I make years ago, I kept.  Too cute to sell.  Sometimes my husband will say that the bears have taken over the house. bear_grin

Eva bear_smile

Board footer