Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

danceswithteddybears Dances With Teddy Bears
Pacific Northwest

Hi and Help-Help!
I want to try needle felting a nose.  I (think) I understand the process.  But I have a few questions maybe some of you can help me with. 

Do you dye the wool, or buy dyed wool?  I want a black or brown-black nose. 
I'm also thinking of embroidering over a needle felted nose.  Does the wool need to be dyed for that as well?  I would assume so.

Can I needle felt a nose onto synthetic fur?
I mainly use funky old faux fur coats.  They often have a knit backing and I line all my bears.  But will it hold, or take, needle felting?  Is there an alternate way of attaching a needle felted nose?

I looked through the library but couldn't find anything pertaining.  (May have missed it.)  So, help-help.
Thanks so much!
  Laura   bear_flower

AussieFelts AussieFelts
South Australia

I can't help you with all of your questions but i'll give a couple a go. bear_original

You can dye the wool yourself if you want to but it's so easy to buy the already dyed stuff that I would just suggest going with that first.  Blacks and browns are a fairly common colour so you shouldn't have any trouble finding what you are looking for.

Embroidering over needle felting is fine too.  You wouldn't want to have undyed wool under it unless that is the look you are going for.  I would needle felt the area in the colour you want and then just embroider the nose directly over it.  If you use undyed wool under the embroidery, you might see slithers of the wool peeking though.  I hope that makes sense.

I'm not a bear maker but i'm pretty sure you can needle felt over synthetics...particularly if it has a knit or fabric backing.  Someone will correct me if i'm wrong on that.

bear_original

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Hi Laura,
A couple of years ago I thought I had the marvelously brilliant idea of needlefelting on a nose then embroidering over it...... a much better base to embroider over!!! I later discovered my idea not original but I was glad to hear I was "doing it right". So, here are answers to your questions based on my experience.

You want to use a wool color that will match as closely as possible the color of the embroidery yarn. I recommend just buying the right color... not dyeing it yourself. You can buy colored wool from such places as:
TEDS FROM THREADS:  http://www.tedsfromthreads.com/newcorriedale.htm
EDINBRUGH:  http://www.edinburghimports.com/shoppin … p?cat=Wool
EBAY:  http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dl … 26fsoo%3D2
Just to name a few... or even your local yarn shop. I'm starting to see needlefelting supplies at Michael's too!

First be sure the muzzle is stuffed very firmly. Prefelt the nose shape in wool loosely on your foam block, then felt onto the muzzle of your bear. I usually use a 36 needle for this as it's bigger, less apt to break. Poke and poke and poke until the nose is very firm. You won't be happy if the wool has too much give to it.... your embroidery yarn will sink too far into it and you'll have a hard time keeping the shape.

You should be able to needlefelt into any fur with a knit or woven backing. Real fur I personally stay away from... the pelt (skin or back of fur) will get so many perforations that I envision the whole nose area falling right off! Synthetics/faux fur should be no problem. The fibers of the wool are actually fusing with the stuffing inside the nose... not the backing of the fur.

We've had discussions on this... I'll see if I can find you some links so you can get other's advice on this too! bear_original

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA
Pacific Northwest

Thanks Daphne and Narelle!
Narelle, I now see why I really need to use wool dyed to match embroidery thread.  Yup, buy it pre-dyed, I so agree!
Big Oh, "The fibers of the wool are actually fusing with the stuffing inside the nose... not the backing of the fur."  Thanks for explaining it, Daphne.  That really helped me understand the process more.
I've checked out Edinburgh, even see their needles are on sale. I'll look at the other links you suggested as well.  Gosh, never thought of Michael's.  There's one not too far away from me. 
I'm heading to the library now, via link you gave...
Thanks again!  This looks like fun!!!
  Laura   bear_flower

puca bears puca bears

Hiya
just a thought.........I have needle-felted paw pads onto fabric with a knit backing, but i actually lined the fabric with felt (glued on - shock, horror!).........my worry was that the needle just might break one or more threads of the knit backing - which could have disastrous results...............
huggies
Maria
p.s. the paw pads worked!

Pacific Northwest

Hey Maria
Lining the fabric with felt is a great idea!
Thanks!!!
   Laura   bear_flower

Donna Donna's Duin Bruins
Burbank, CA

You could also cut a felt piece the shape and size of nose you want.  Felt the nose on your foam and when you have it the way you like just stitch it onto the muzzle of the bear.  Then if you need to cover where you stitched it to the face you do just a tiny bit of felting over the stitches.
Have fun!
Donna

Pacific Northwest

Thanks, Donna!!!
My hubby said "Well, just sew it on."  NOBODY tell him he had a good idea!!!!!!!   :doh:
  Laura   bear_flower

Donna Donna's Duin Bruins
Burbank, CA

Listen to your hubby, sometimes they have much better ways and ideas than what we have.   
I was working on a display a couple of weeks ago and ask my hubby to help me think it through.  He is a mathematician so I do go to him with lots of non bear related things.  I had my display all laid out and ask if I was thinking it through correctly to make it stand.  And he said why don't you just do this and this instead.  It was so simple and so good, but I would have never thought of it.
Another thing about needle felting on the felt and then attaching it to the bear.  If you don't like it you haven't ruined the whole muzzle.

Pacific Northwest
Donna wrote:

Listen to your hubby, sometimes they have much better ways and ideas than what we have.

Aw, I was just kidding.  My one & only has great ideas and is much appreciated.  Been together now for 28 wonderful years.  He's my best friend. bear_original
      Laura bear_flower

Board footer