Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

danceswithteddybears Dances With Teddy Bears
Pacific Northwest

Hi all!
A virus just ate my computer!!!  (I'm using an old laptop right now.)
What's weird is it ate my hubby's computer, as well, and it's at another location!
Destroyed everything I'd saved.  Gone gone gone!  Pictures, files, emails...everything.
I hadn't backed stuff up in a bit.  Should have should have should have.
We haven't a clue when or how this happened.  But both our computers went down yesterday.  And we have fire walls and virus protection!
So, please beware.  There are some nasty people out there with too much time on their hands.  I simply don't understand why they must do this.  It is so destructive. 
        Laura   bear_noexpression

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

bear_sad  bear_sad  bear_sad  bear_sad  So sorry, Laura . . . what a hideous thing to happen.  Boy, I would be sooooooo sick if that ever happened to my computer.  Knock on wood, knock on wood.   :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

Carolyn Green Draffin Bears
Auckland New Zealand
Website

Oh how terrible Laura  bear_noexpression that is so awful.

Hugs to you
Carolyn
:hug:

valewoodbears Valewood Bears
Yorkshire
Website

Oh no!!! What a nightmare for you! It makes you think about backing but there isn't enough hours in the day for everything is there and you can't do everything.  Hope you get sorted out soon.

Pauline

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

Laura there may be some way of getting all your files back as this happened to me. I don't know if you or your husband are any good with opening and jigging about inside a computer but if not then get onto your computer store and they should be able to retrieve all your files for you. What I did was to get another hard drive (which has windows installed on it) and fit it in place of the hard drive which is already in your computer. Then make the original hard drive a slave drive. This is easy as all you need to do is plug it in as there should be cables already in the computer and space for a slave drive. Start up the computer and it should find both hard drives. All you need to do is then copy the files from the slave drive to disk. You could then format the original drive and then re-install windows and all your programs again and start again. The second drive can now either be left in place or removed, remembering to put the original hard drive back as the master drive. I hope this helps.  bear_flower

Hugs, Jane.  bear_flower  bear_flower  bear_flower

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

I am so sorry Laura!  How aggrevating  bear_angry    Someone earlier this year had their hard drive crash - I think it was Daphne.  A suggestion was posted for future reference of using www.Mozy.com as a back up service. 

I started using them that day.  The first back up took a couple of weeks as I had my settings set so my computer would still run fairly quickly.  Now it backs up once an evening and it hardly takes any time at all.... and it backs up every day without me needing to do anything.

I'm sorry I can't help with suggestions on getting back what you've lost bear_sad  But maybe this could help if it happens again.

danceswithteddybears Dances With Teddy Bears
Pacific Northwest

Good news, no...make that great news!!!!  bear_original
We took my computer, and my hubby's computer, to the local computer guru.  He, too, thought all was lost.  I fretted over this for 2 days, then accepted my fate.
But, after many  hours of doing whatever they do...our computers are not only clean but all our files were saved.  I can't believe it.  Mr. Computer Wizard made my day!!!
We somehow had gotten the same virus, maybe it attached itself to one of our emails, we'll never really know.  But guru guy said he thought it was hellzlittlespy.  It's a new virus, and a nasty one.  Being so new our AntiVirus protection had no way of identifying it.
Anyway, we learned a lot from this little adventure.  We'll both back our important files up regularly.
Laura Lynn, thanks for the info on that back up service.  I'll check it out. 
I'm so relieved I'm ecstatic and doing my happy dance!!!  :dance:
Thanks all, for your commiserations and suggestions!
          Laura  bear_flower

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

:clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  bear_thumb  bear_thumb  bear_thumb  bear_thumb  bear_thumb

Board footer