Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

Jane D. Teddies to Treasure
Midland, Ontario

hello all- I would love to try making and aging a bear. What type of mohair would you suggest?I love 5/8 length usually but the curly matted does not give the look that I want.I want to make it center seam and about 15" tall.Any suggestions as to what any of you have tried? I love all the creations that you talented girls make.Thank you in advance.Sincerely Jane D.

sockerplinga Sundsvall
Website

I havent done an old bear like the one you want to make, but I think you can use whatever mohair you like, and then make sand paper to make it look aged.
In Nancy's book "101 bears to make" she has written about making a bear look aged, and then suggested sand paper as one thing.
(Not sure this really answered your question, but thats one suggestion you can use)

kathytaylor Ruby Mountain Bears
Northern Nevada, USA

I think that the straight mohair gives that antique look after the distressing i.e. sand paper and staining. It helps too if you use wool for the foot pads to give that authentic aged look.
Wee scones are a great example, Her work , Boot button bears really have captured that vintage, antique bear look really well. They are some great resources you could ask.

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

I think the sparse mohairs look "older", too.

mingrul Our Blue Iguana

kathy, what is wee scones?sorry, i have never heared of this before.

Board footer