Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

heartsez Hearts Ease Bears
Fairfax,Vermont

i think i want to try selling a bear on ebay..but im nervous! whats the most practical simplest way to sell there? reserve or no? any featrures i need? international or no? i tried reading thru their stuff..ban somebody make it simpler for me?/

nervous in VT!!!  deb

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

:hug: Me too, Deb! I'm very nervous in Toronto!  :hug:

My eBay debut will begin on October 30th, when my avatar bears will be auctioned as part of the Teddies4Charity project. I'm glad to be starting as part of this wonderful group!

To help those of us who are new to the eBay auction process, Nancy Tillberg has posted several very good eBay tutorials on her NCTB website. Check out the first of these at
http://www.northcountryteddybears.com/T … /ebay1.htm

Eileen

Athina Posts: 17

Hi!
I just wanted you to know they have a Great book called the E-bay Bible. That so far has answered most of my question. I ordered both editions. I don't think I needed both, Edition 2 is good enough.
Hope I helped a little.

Also, you can buy it on Amazon.

Good Luck
Dawn

jazzyrags Jazzy Rags
nsw

I got a email from ebay ,so i thought and it said congratulation you are now a silver member so click the link and you will have all these extra benefits ,so silly me click and it was an unauthorized third party trying to accessed my acc. The real  ebay jump in with in minutes and cancelled my hole acc and sent me a email to tell me what was going on good on you ebay ,then i had to get a new password the bad guy was called Harley-Davidson just so you all know whats going on out there.Don't give any info through emails .I hope you can understand this note i am not a good wrighter .

Gail Bear With Me Enterprises
Website

Hi Fran
Beware of e-mails from Paypal as well asking you to update etc as these are also fraud. Neither e-bay or paypal ever send out e-mails asking for your personal information When you receive these requests forward them to spoof@e-bay .com and e-bay will get back to you
Hugs
Gail

jazzyrags Jazzy Rags
nsw

Thanks Gail i have a lot to learn .

lapousmor Sophie Z'Ours
Sarthe, France

You are right, Gail! I have received so many false e-mails from e-Bay and PayPal... The first I received lokked strange to me, so I asked google to help me check if this mail was a "good" one. Google found me a website that was explaining me that such a mail was dangerous and that all that kinds of e-mails were dangerous.
So from that time, I checked all that strange e-mails and dicarded them without answering.

To answer your question about selling on e-Bay, Fran, just avoid listing your bears on the French e-Bay... There is no special category for bear artists. I have been stupid enough to put my bear there and I still wonder if someone will finally bid on him (I will now soon today).
ebay.com or even your one should do it well I guess.

:)
Beary hugs,
Sophie.

Amanda Pandy Potter Bears
Staffordshire, UK

I would list in bears/artist/artist, one of a kind.
Start off at the lowest you are prepared to accept.
If you except international put at bottom bidders please email for postage costs before auction ends and paypal only please. Get a fees list from the post office and then you can work out the costs. Paypal is the easiest way to go in general, even if it costs you.
In your title make sure you have the word 'artist' 'mohair' (if it is) 'OOAK' and key search words like maybe 'mini' again if it is!
Try to get one of the free templates and then if like me you use a free photo holding site (can't think of the right name) you can put as many photos on as you want, for free. Please email me if you want some very easy examples. I will try to put them on later when I have more time.
Always have the gallery option, and a nice cropped photo will work wonders.
Sundays are the best to end at 7.00pm although mine are timed to work in for the USA and the UK so we are still both awake! I would put them on for at least the 7 day option.
A good description will help but people can always email you.
I am trying to think of other things, but ebay is so hit and miss, but once you have done it its so easy. Email me if you want to know anything else as it can be daunting for that first auction. I am still learning as I go along so don't worry and good luck.

heartsez Hearts Ease Bears
Fairfax,Vermont

thanks ladies! i read thru most of Nancy Tillbergs info last night,,then had to go..i too have had many fake emails,,i also ignore them...tho i have had trouble also with a domain name co asking me for payment or yearly fee,,when i pay thru earthlink..they got me the first time!  should  i START with the bid im willing to accept? as in starting bid is x $$?? or use the reserve bid method?  thanks deb

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_original Good question, Deb!  :hug:

I've never understood the relationship between the opening bid and the reserve. Waiting with bated breath to hear from all you veterans . . .  :whistle:

Eileen

jazzyrags Jazzy Rags
nsw

I am trying to work that out to Eileen

Tammy Beckoning Bears
Nova Scotia
Website

Here is my understanding:

1) A reserve price is the price you really want for the item.  This amount is hidden.  You can see if there is a reserve price when you click on an auction item.  Otherwise it only indicates the start price on the main list of auctions.

2) A start price/opeing bid  just gets the auction going, but if no one bids up to the reserve price then the item doesn't sell.

Why would you do this then ........... well,

EX:  If you want $200 for your bear you could put a reserve of $200 ( the lowest you would actually sell the bear for.)

BUT,  if you list the start price/opeing bid at $200 people may not even look at your auction.   It is kind of a mind game I guess.  Put a low start price to get people to check out your auction further, only then do they realize there is a reserve.   Maybe at that point they are so in love with your bear that they will still bid.

Also,  part of the ebay listing fee is based on your start price. A lower start price means lower listing fee.

This is just my experience so please correct me if I'm wrong.

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_flower Thanks, Tammy! I begin to understand!  :dance:

Eileen

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

jazzyrags wrote:

I got a email from ebay ,so i thought and it said congratulation you are now a silver member so click the link and you will have all these extra benefits ,so silly me click and it was an unauthorized third party trying to accessed my acc. The real  ebay jump in with in minutes and cancelled my hole acc and sent me a email to tell me what was going on good on you ebay ,then i had to get a new password the bad guy was called Harley-Davidson just so you all know whats going on out there.Don't give any info through emails .I hope you can understand this note i am not a good wrighter .

So sorry that happened to you  bear_sad  But yes, there's ARE people out there who will try to steal from you (or use your ID if they can get it to steal from others) 

These fake emails are very common.  They look like they come from eBay, Paypal, your credit card company, your bank,..... I get tons from assorted banks. 

Paypal has some good information for everyone about these fake emails:

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?c … of-outside

Board footer