Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

momanimallover Taber, Alberta

Thank you for the information on this book Michelle bear_original Dakota had 16 pee accidents today instead of 20 something like yesterday bear_wacko  Is this really normal for some pups??????

Kilde Posts: 186
momanimallover wrote:

Thank you for the information on this book Michelle bear_original Dakota had 16 pee accidents today instead of 20 something like yesterday bear_wacko  Is this really normal for some pups??????

First of all, congrats on your beautiful little puppy - she is adorable  bear_wub  bear_wub

No, I don't think its normal for a puppy to have 16-20 accidents a day! I would take her to the vet if I were you - to me it sounds as if she is having an infection in her urinary system.

I have had dogs all my life (at present we have 4) and so I have potty trained a LOT!  :crackup: I have never used news papers or pee pads inside for my puppies - it takes them longer to learn that potty is outside if you allow them to do their "things" inside. Now that Dakota has the pee pad, you could move the pee pad closer to the door every day until the pee pad is outside.

Potty training usually takes a couple of weeks but some dogs learn faster than others - and some breeds are not so fast learners! My Bichon Frisé took several months (she is such a lazy little princess!  bear_grin)  but the others learned in just a few weeks...so have patience, Dakota will get it eventually.

I always go outside with my dogs and wait for them to finish - I always have a treat or 2 with me and praise them a lot and give them a treat as soon as they are done doing their "thing". Treats are essential whenever you want to teach a puppy (or a grown up dog for that matter) tricks. Most dogs can be bribed  bear_grin They love the treats and the praise; "if Mummy is happy, I'm happy...so I'll do the trick for her" - or something like that  bear_grin

A puppy needs to go outside when 1) she wakes up after a nap, 2) when she has eaten, 3) when she has been playing.

Good luck with Dakota - she is a beautiful dog  bear_thumb

momanimallover Taber, Alberta

What would i do without all of your ladies info!! I appreciate this sooo much. She gets a check up on Saturday so we'll see if she has any infection but I'm thinking it's just her because at night she sleeps in her crate for 4 hours at a time without any accidents and I figure maybe if it was an infection she wouldn't be able to do that?? She does drink alot and it's not very hot here right now so I'll take away the water at times. I was so proud of her last night, when I put her to bed she hardly whined at all bear_smile and it gives the cats a break bear_laugh

Board footer