Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

Pipa UK

Hello everyone sorry if this has already been covered i wanted opinions on this topic !   :P

i read it's a good idea to trim away the fur (especially in dense thick fur) trim around where the joint  are, so that you can get your limbs closer to the body therefor it helps prevent the joints going loose when the fur flattens

I do this with my bears does anyone find it makes any difference or is it a waste of time  ???

bear_smile

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Interesting question, Pipa.  I've never done this before, but today am working on a very thick (wonderful, luxurious) alpaca fur in a long pile length and it occurred to me to do this very thing.

Hope somebody who's done this will reply soon! I'm almost ready to joint!

Pipa UK

i have a teddy bear book on tips etc and they say it's great to help keep the joints tight, because once the fur flattens it makes them looser apparently  bear_laugh so when i read it i started doing it on my bears with thick cloth, and it shows you  a pic of them snipping down the fur around where the joints will be
gotta be careful not to trim too much off tho dont want it showing once it's jointed  or cut the backing,  bear_original

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

I do this on all my bears..otherwise the joints may slacken over time as the pile flattens.  Just trim back to the exact size of the disc. I stuff the limbs before I assemble the bear...this way it's easy to see where to trim.

Deb Upstate New York

I trim pretty close to the fabric in the joint area.  Helps prevent exactly what Pipa described (loosening once fur is matted down).

Helena Bears-a-Bruin!
Macclesfield, UK

I imagine the density of the fur is important when it comes to trimming joints - the more dense the fur, the more necessary it is. When I've used sparse mohair I haven't bothered to trim. And no matter what fur I used I always turn that cotter key until I'm blue in the face!  bear_laugh

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

WOW Pipa I posed this very question yesterday to myself. I had been told when I first started making bears that it was a Good idea to trim when necessary. I trimmed the pile of the synthetic I have been working on, but only around the hole. I didnt want to get too carried away. I play too cautiously these days.
Let us know what you did and if you think it made any difference.

I went to a work shop at one time where the artist placed that clear plastic stuff between the fabrics at each limb. It gives a smooth glide to the limb. Has anyone else come across this.?

Acipenser Bine-Teddies
Stockholm

Do you trim only on the legs or also on the body?

Sabine

Pipa UK

i trim the arms,  the legs and on the body where the limbs will be attatched!

i dont bother doing it on short mohair, but any thick dense fur i trim it down short, just be careful not to get too carried away and dont trim more than the size of your disc!  :)

Helena - those cotter keys sure do caue stress on my wrist joint, stuffing & cotter turning is the worst part of bear making lol

warwickshire uk
Website

I wouldn't bother too much on sparse mohair.. but on the medium and  denser piles I always do. As far as 'glide' goes on the joints I do the opposite of making a smoother surface..I put the rough surface of the disc next to the fur. That way it holds the joint firmer...I can't remember who told me to do that but it works for me.

Jenny

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

I trim around the joints on all of my bears. I've done this since my very first bear and have never had a loose joint.

Jane  bear_original  bear_original  bear_original

Pipa UK

Jenny i put the rough side of the disc to the fur aswell

warwickshire uk
Website

I'm glad I'm not the only one...I was told a while ago, (ah  I remembered who told me ...it was Bill from BearBits...)that it stops the joint going loose and it made perfect sense!

All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website

I'm a joint trimmer too!  bear_grin

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

All Bear wrote:

Hey, that sounds kinda funny, in an illegal-substances kind of way...  bear_rolleyes bear_tongue bear_grin bear_laugh bear_whistle bear_smile

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Only you Shelli, only you.................. :lol:

Heather

All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website
Shelli wrote:
All Bear wrote:

Hey, that sounds kinda funny, in an illegal-substances kind of way...  bear_rolleyes bear_tongue bear_grin bear_laugh bear_whistle :teddybear:

bear_wacko bear_wacko  bear_grin bear_grin bear_innocent bear_innocent bear_wub bear_cry bear_wacko bear_whistle bear_whistle What can I say????  bear_innocent

Marie_ Kiprie Bears
Yokohama, Japan

I'm joint trimmer too !  bear_whistle
I trim exact size on hard board for arms,legs,body and
even under the heard , I love doing it be cause
joints fit better. ( for mine  bear_thumb )

Good luck Shelli !   :rose:
Marie

WA

What happens if the disks you are using dont have a rough side?   Matilda

warwickshire uk
Website

Er...I don't know about those Matilda..I always seem to end up with ones with a rough side...are they hard-board?

Jenny

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Probably fiberboard.  I've ordered both.  I think the hardboard ones look like particleboard and have one rough side.  They're brown, where I buy them (Intercal.)  And the fiberboard ones look more like smooth, thick cardboard or paper; they're gray.

Am I right????

The gray ones have two smooth sides.

warwickshire uk
Website

Shelli...I have no idea...the only ones I've ever seen here are the brown hardboard ones which have a rough side and a smooth side...I 've seen card-board looking pinkish ones for miniature bears...but I've never used them..

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Marilada said:

I went to a work shop at one time where the artist placed that clear plastic stuff between the fabrics at each limb. It gives a smooth glide to the limb. Has anyone else come across this.?

What clear plastic stuff?

I have never heard of it.  Is this something special you guys have in Australia?

I am intrigued- need more info Miss Matilda

bear_tongue

WA

disksforpost.jpgThese are some disks that I have. The dark brown ones I've never used. I only have a few, not enough to joint a bear. I was given them years ago. I think these ones are what you all are talking about. The blonde ones are craft wood. These are the ones that are available in Australia. They're the ones that I use. The little red ones are for the minis. Large hole for bolts and lillte hole for cotter pin. They are wood I think. They are'nt cardboard. The clear plastic is what I was meaning .Persplex.I went to a workshop by 'Mark Rodrigues.He uses these disks between the fur pile at the joints.On the outside that is.
I guess that just about explains it.

Matilda bear_wacko

Board footer