Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

Carolynn Teenytinyteddybears

Does this happen to anyone else. I have just finished a bear and althought I have loads  to do, feel "lost"

Never sold one, just given to friends as gifts. Now worrying about it finding a good home, not being eaten by someones dog etc.  Is it just becuase I am new??? I thought I was silly about some stuff until reading the "house with a bear artist" now thinking I am not so alone. So come on girls, how do you feel when you finish and ship a bear?

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

The only time I feel sorry to see one of my creations leave home is when it's one of my chimps or orangutans. Sending a bear or panda to their new home never bothers me. I always trust that if someone has chosen to pay money to adopt one of my bears then they will take care of it. Even if they don't I won't know about it. I know it sounds hard but that's how I feel, as long as I don't know then everythings just fine.

Hugs, Jane.  bear_flower  bear_flower  bear_flower

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

Actually..I never really get upset..I just get on with the next one.

The only time I did was when a lady sent me bear back who had been mauled by a three year old...she sent her back for me to fix. When I got her out of the box I cried..I saw her little face peeping out at me and it made me feel all motherly ...

But no..I just crack on with the next one...they all mean something to me...each one...but if they don't go to new homes I can't make any more!

Just call me 'heartless!!!'

All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website

Yep, ship 'em out and on to the next one!  I invest all my efforts into each bear and love making them, but once they are finished my priorities change to finding an owner and making sure the new owner receives them as soon as possible.  In fact I feel a great sense of satisfaction once I've walked away from the Post Office and handed the box over the counter!

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

I also need to get to the next one.... but I did have a hard time sending Travis off to his new home...

desertmountainbear desertmountainbear
Bloomsburg, PA

After the bears are finished and posted on ebay they sit with me for a week on my desk, there is one with me now.  When they are ready to go, right before they go into the box I feel a pang of sadness.  I give them a little kiss, close the box and the feeling is gone.
Joanne

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

I used to get all emotional over my bears..... then it was only a few that came out exceptionally well for which I'd be a bit sad or concerned. I think you get over it after a while. And it does in part depend on whether you are doing this as a business or as a hobby.... you can't afford to get so emotionally attached if you are doing this for a business.

Now if I have a bear I'm really attached to and don't want to part with I keep it sitting on my worktable for a week or two.... by the end of that time I've enjoyed the bear, made a few more and am ready to let that special one go to a new home.

I'm guessing that a lot of folks who make bears find some sort of emotional or sentimental aspect to it. So getting attached to them here or there is natural I should think.

eteddys eTeddys
Phoenix, AZ
Website

I'm with Paula and Jenny.  I just move on to the next project.  I started selling my bears so I could afford more supplies to make more bears.  It was hard to pack them up when I first started selling, but not any more.  For me, the joy is in creating bears.  It's a great honor that another person wants something I created.  I'm always excited to ship a teddy off to a collector.  And, I have some money for MORE MOHAIR! 

Hugs!
Alison

Woodbury Park Bears Woodbury Park Bears
Central Coast New South Wales

I let them stay with me until the next one is finished and then try and find a new home just to enjoy them for a little bit then I give all mine a kiss and a cuddle before they are off into the big bad world. I stress more waiting to hear from the collector that they have arrived safely and when they are so happy with them I am absolutely thrilled. bear_original

Raewyn

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

The only time I'm practically distraught is when the bear is in shipping  bear_ermm   Once the new owner's emailed me that my bear's arrived safe and sound, I'm more than happy to let them go  bear_wub

I've only had a very, very few bears that I hung onto for myself, and only one that I regretting selling.  However the owner says there's NO way she'll part with her, so that's heartwarming in its own way  bear_wub

Jellybelly Bears Jellybelly Bears
Australia

:hug:  :hug:  Its really hard at first, but it gets easier......and you begin realise the bears that must be keepers the more you make too..... and for me, I had to face the fact that I've kept so many and can't keep too many more lol, so thats another push to get them out the door without too many tears bear_whistle

danceswithteddybears Dances With Teddy Bears
Pacific Northwest

Carolynn
It happens to me all the time.  I'm a newbie, too, and I think that's part of the problem.  I get very attached to each and every bear I make.
I just finished another bear.  About 10 minutes ago I put on the final touches.  And then sadness struck.  But I'm already thinking about my next bear, which helps.  Found some fur I wanted to use, now to decide on a bear to fit the fur.
I'm just now starting to sell my bears, and I'm finding it very hard to part with them, I'm still not parting with all of them. 
When I take a bear down to my shop I'm still not exactly ready to say farewell, but I endeavor to persevere .  Hopefully it'll get easier.  I think holding onto a bear for a week or so before selling them would help, good advice.
So, yes-yes I understand!
  Laura  bear_flower

Laurie Laurie Lou Bears
Norfolk

I do get attached to certain bears and will hold onto them for a little longer but there are others that I don't mind letting go.I do have the odd problem when hubby gets attached to one which is usually one that I am not so keen on but I am just mean and tell him he can't have it bear_laugh  bear_whistle
Laurie :hug:

Barling Bears Barling Bears
Nr. Maidstone, Kent
Website

Well, I guess  I must be a big softy because ...  yes  ...  I do get attached to some bears!  In fact, I recently became so attached to a bear that I decided not to sell him even though a customer had said that she would like him.  Fortunately, the lady had become a nice friend even though I had never met her, but she said she was sure I would make another bear she would like.  I can also remember feeling physically sick as a favourite bear of mine was bought at a fair some time ago and it was horrible seeing him being carried away!!  That customer still teases me about it! 

Although I need the money, (who doesn't!!) I think there are times when you have to go by your heart!!  No wonder I'm broke!!!!!

Just enjoy your bears!!

Hugs

Marilyn bear_flower

Board footer