Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

Aleta - The Silly Bear The Silly Bear
Portland, Oregon
Website

Brenda said, "it doesn't matter how old you are, we are all Peter Pan inside."  EXACTLY!!  I love it!! 

Look at all of that mohair of JoAnne's.....Fabulous!!  I've been whittling my stock away so it looks rather pathetic in comparison.  You go girl!!

Warmest bear hugs,  :hug:
Aleta

edie Bears by Edie
Southern Alberta

Wow! I think I'm normal after all! I thought I was the only one going shopping with alligator clips or needles with thread hanging from shirt or pants and seeing bear faces in every shading and texture of objects, and having bear supplies stashed all over the place!

You know there's a bear artist ......when:

- there's never any chopsticks to eat Chinese food - they're all being used as stuffing sticks!

Jellybelly Bears Jellybelly Bears
Australia
OzMatilda wrote:

no worries to answer Judi..i just seen his books and his not the same motivational bloke on TV with Leeza Gibbons...I purchased 3 of the books just then on Ebay...thanks for letting me know about him.... bear_thumb

lisa

Oh good, you'll love him!!!!  I with the other girls, he's a life changer bear_thumb

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

:crackup:  :crackup: :crackup:

TURNING 40? 44?

:crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:

Dear young things . . . how about turning 64?

You know you're living with a bearmaker when she's 64 (plus) but has enough mohair and other stash etc. to last another 20 years.

Talk about the triumph of optimism over numbers!  It really is just a number.

I have a theory . . . procrastinators live longer. They have to.

Honestly, friends of approximately my age are busy clearing out their houses and simplifying their lives . . . I'm just getting started!

tuppies teddies Tuppies Teddies
Lindenow, Central Gippsland

Being 50 something I agree with the healing powers of meditation...Stephanie Dorwick has written some excellant books too.

One is called "Choosing Happiness"...helped me thru a crisis and altered my outlook on life and how my mind interprets things.,

Yoga and meditation go well together...

As does cupboards full of bear stuff...and blanket boxes, and wardrobes, and picnic baskets.....and cedar chests...the list goes on...

Tine Tines Teddys
Regensburg
Website

You know there is a bear artist living in the house when

you need your dictionary to find words like
cotter pin
disc joint
wobble joint
bear_original  bear_rolleyes

EvaJ EJ's Crafts
Fort Mohave, Arizona

Being in the over 65 group, I too have more supplies than I will ever use.   I have more time to shop so I buy because I see something I just know that will make a great new bear or a new outfit that I know I will get around to making.  I would be afraid to take a picture of my sewing room because all the walls are filled from floor to ceiling with supplies....finished work is in the spare bedroom bear_grin

You know you are a bear artist when your dreams all have bears in them.

Eva
www.ejcrafts.com

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

YOU KNOW THERE IS A BEAR ARTIST LIVING IN YOUR HOUSE WHEN....... every birthday card has bears on it... every gift is mohair or something to do with bears...and when your birthday cake is shaped like a bear's head... and that was just this week.  bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin  and I loved it.  bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub

Hugs, Jane.  bear_flower  bear_flower  bear_flower

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin
Eileen wrote:

I have a theory . . . procrastinators live longer. They have to.

...yay!  then I will live to be 100!!!

Eileen....you're so young looking it must be true. :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

:hug: Thanks, Judi--I'll definitely choose to believe you over my mirror!

Since I became a Grandmother :dance: I've been letting my grey hair grow out. I'll need another picture when I look less stripey.

Carolynn Teenytinyteddybears

Eileen you are so right, I am one of the youngsters (only 42) and certainly dont see it as old. (forget the mirror). have so many plans of what I want to do when I grow up. I have raised 2 great children who are off doing their own thing. And so what if gravity is winning and I am getting a bit saggy, I am more confident than ever before. Besides with great people like all of you to chat to everyday I get to laugh and learn something.

Jane, do you pajamas also have teddies on them???? mine do.

danceswithteddybears Dances With Teddy Bears
Pacific Northwest

I've enjoyed (am enjoying) my 50's so much more than my 40's, which I enjoyed so much more than my 30's, etc etc etc.  Not to say they were bad, they weren't.  But for me every decade does get better.
In 2010 I'll turn 60 and I plan on having ..more fun than ever!!!   
I agree, mind over matter!  We are as young as we feel, and aside from some aches and pains, I feel very young.
Teddy bears keep us young at heart.  No wonder they are so cherished.   
  Laura  bear_flower

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_original The one thing I don't have is pajamas with teddy bears on them. I'm going to need some of those . . .

These are actually great times to be growing older.

For one thing, nobody expects us to wear polyester pantsuits or frumpy dresses with big flowers on them over ugly shoes and rolled-down stockings. We old dears live in jeans and T-shirts and running shoes if we want to.

Technology is a major plus. I can keep in touch with my grownup kids by email, reunite with long lost friends and keep up with new ones all over the world, play DVDs or music on my computer while I sew.

Last fall an old friend found me via the internet, and I got to go to my 45th High School Reunion! It was amazing--nobody had really changed that much, except the tough kids, who were all sweet and mellow.

When I spilled beer all over my laptop, which was actually the dog's fault, I can go to my desktop and google "what to do when you fry your computer with liquid." I not only rescued my laptop, I learned how many people spill beer/wine/orange juice on their keyboards.

OzMatilda Posts: 209

bear_thumb Thanks Brenda, Joanne, Sarah, Elieen, Denise, Laura and Eva..it's so wonderful to hear that you ladies are enjoying your ages and life in general.... my Nan always say's to enjoy every decade as the best one is yet to come..she just turned 80 in August..all the family took her out to the Club that she likes and she was still 'grooving' at 3am! She was the only one left that wasn't tired and DID NOT want to go home...she loves life which is great..Pops 84...so i suppose i can deal with me turning 40...NOT. (lol)  :o

Oh..revised to say P.S. Eileen, had a huge giggle at 'beer' spilling over your keyboard blamed on the doggie... :crackup:  I once wiped over my laptop on (the LCD) screen bit..with a very wet cloth..uuumm, no more laptop - lesson learnt..no liquid whatsoever!... bear_whistle

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_original Lisa!! You're back :hug:

Actually, I think turning 40 is hard. When I turned 40, I felt 40. I had 3 young children, back problems, a semi-renovated house, a husband in full career-making mode, and a pile of  responsibilities that I would never be so daft as to undertake now.

It gets easier. When you turn 50, you don't believe it (50? ME?), and 60 is just too surreal to take seriously.

Besides a bit of healthy denial, there comes a level of acceptance based on experience, which is probably why older people seem so dim-witted to the excitable young. They haven't been there/done that so many times over.

But you do get stubborn and feisty on issues that seem to them minor--which is why sensible youth concludes you've finally lost it. For example, I'm sure there are many good reasons why dogs should not be allowed on the sofa, all of which my offspring are happy to recite, but I like them there.

The only reason they didn't think of was that dog tails can spill your beer into your laptop!

KiddoBears KiddoBears
California

Hi! I have found my self doing this when walking outside my home and looking down the street and suddenly see something silver" :dance: I pass it if its old and pick up if its new and think for my bears,but who ever is with me.... my daughter or friend ask me when I do this.... did you find money. I respond "No I found a watcher, bolt,or screw for my bears" then they tell me "Oh Mom! Oh Mary!"  you only have bears in your mind and  :crackup: Hugs

bearbottombears Bear Bottom Heirloom Bears
Nova Scotia Canada

Oh my I haven't laughed this hard in weeks :crackup:  I'd like to add ....I know I've neglected my housework for bear making when my cat's cough up MOhair balls.

They love my mohair scraps, I always know where to look when I "misplace" a bear part. Two guilty kitties  bear_tongue
Gail G

danceswithteddybears Dances With Teddy Bears
Pacific Northwest

"60 is just too surreal to take seriously"
Eileen, that deserves to be put on a plaque or something.   
Love it, love it!!! :crackup:

MKinsey/TBF Teddy Bear and Friends
Lancaster PA

MKinsey/TBF Editor of Teddy Bear and Friends

Love this thread -- thanks to Judi for pointing it out to me. But I do wonder ... not being a bear maker, what's my excuse for the clips on my clothes and disheveled house? Does being a bear magazine maker count?

Mindy

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin
MKinsey/TBF wrote:

Does being a bear magazine maker count?

It counts! bear_thumb  bear_thumb  bear_thumb  bear_laugh  bear_laugh  bear_laugh  bear_laugh  bear_laugh

Mindy it takes a creative person also to do what you do....so yes...it counts. bear_grin   At least it's a good excuse bear_whistle  bear_whistle  bear_whistle  bear_whistle  bear_whistle

bearbottombears Bear Bottom Heirloom Bears
Nova Scotia Canada
MKinsey/TBF wrote:

Love this thread -- thanks to Judi for pointing it out to me. But I do wonder ... not being a bear maker, what's my excuse for the clips on my clothes and disheveled house? Does being a bear magazine maker count?

Mindy

Mindy, I think it must be rubbing off.  Who needs housework when there are bears to make and to write about.
Gail G

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

It's all teddy's fault, Mindy!!! And I can't think of a better cause for the madness we live in! bear_grin

shuzlebears England

xmas07polarpongo---Copy.jpgOh! my, this thread just had me falling off my chair laughing so hard that I nearly emptied my mouth of coffee all over the screen!

I have to relate to everything that has been said plus:

When it is time to decorate the house and garden for Christmas and find that all your baubles for the tree have teddies on them and that you have an 8 foot light-up airblown inflatable white polar bear holding a baby polar bear in your garden!!

And when your poor hubby keeps his eyes open for stuff that YOU may find useful when visiting auctions etc.

Shirley x

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin
Daphne wrote:

It's all teddy's fault, Mindy!!! And I can't think of a better cause for the madness we live in! bear_grin

YES!  That's it Daphne!!!!  It's teddy's fault!! bear_laugh  bear_laugh  bear_laugh  bear_laugh  bear_laugh   bear_grin  bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub ...just think how boring life would be without the madness. bear_grin  And we wouldn't ant it ant othery way, would we. bear_wub

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Shirley that's a great polar bear you have!

I have another one to add too:
When your child's first drawing is a bear, and is proudly handed over to you. bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub

Board footer