Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

BearHugger Lichfield, Staffs, England

Well I'm getting braver, so I've decided to order some Earth Palette Dyes. But, as normal, I have questions (when don't I  :crackup: )

I was going to order from here http://emmarybears.com/id85.html  but they only have 50g bags, is that enough? or should I look for somewhere else that does bigger bags?

And my final question, does anyone have any tips for someone thats never used this kind of dye? (not that I've used any other kind  :crackup: )

thanks again  bear_flower

vikki bear_original

Gantaeno Je Suis Lugly!
Website

Hey Vikki :)

I have used their 50g bag with success- you don't need too much I think although it depends on the depth of colour you want- I was using black so I hardly diluted my concoction at all!

Use rubber gloves unless you are quick to wash the stuff off (a layer of vaseline also stops i sticking to anything you want to avoid), and I would recommend using an old washing up tub or a big thick plastic bag with no holes in it- you need to be able to ensure that the dye covers everything if you are not going to be 'painting' it on.  Also I'd say to hand wash the fabric afterwards in the same tub or bag, to save your sink!  make sure you have somewhere to dry the fabric without drips first too... Emmary Bears have a guide on their site for the basic info.  Good luck!

thank you both   bear_original  I've got a couple of pieces I want to dye, there both 1/4, and a dense pile to them, I might order two lots to be sure I've got enough, I'm sure I'll use it at some point if I don't need it all lol

wazzabears Wazza Bears Australia
Bulli

I use earth palette dyes and i get them direct from http://www.earthpalette.com/gallery.php . They are great dyes. But I use 220ml of dry dye powder and 400mls of hot water and 3 teaspoons of fixing liquid which you need to fix to the cotton backing. As the earth palette dyes are meant for wool. I mix this up and store it in a old soda bottle. They last for ages in this and you use only the amount you need. I also mix them with clear to make pastel colors. I have a heap of handdyed mohair on ebay at the moment if you want to see the results. They all have been mixed with clear so they aren't the full color.

thank you, your mohair is gorgeous I was really tempted to buy some but I've got to be good, I've bought a lot this month  :redface:

I think I'll get some to try from emmary bears, then if I find I need more I'll order it from that link  bear_original

Board footer