Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

danceswithteddybears Dances With Teddy Bears
Pacific Northwest

Hi everyone!
Thanks to TT's library, yesterday I bought an Ott Light!  Actually my hubby bought it for me, via a long and strange cell phone conversation.  He at Michael's, me home healing.  I'm recovering from some surgery.
I love it, love it, love it!!!  What a difference.  I do a lot of hand sewing.  I was using an old Tensor Light, which was glary and hot.  The Ott light is cool and provides great natural looking light.

Which got me to thinking ..I wander through TT's library quite often.  And I've picked up some great tips.  The Ott Light is one of them, another is alligator clips..which I now can't live without.  My pincushion is getting dusty!

What's your favorite tip or technique that you've learned from TT?
I don't know if this has been asked before.  There's lots of newbies, I being one of them.  So it might be fun, even if it's not original.

Laura bear_flower

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

The thing Ihe picked up from TT that I learned most from is using oil paints...not on every bear.....I now use a mixture of techniques. Prior to TT I only ever used Copic Markers...and now I use lots of things for shading...including oils...which I learned from TT. It made a huge difference and made me more adventurous.

Carolynn Teenytinyteddybears

My favorite was to leave the top of the arm or leg open for stuffing. You can then sew around the washer. I find this gives a wonderful shape Was a very old tip and I cant find it again to thank the person who posted it. But it sure works for me.

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Don't rest your foot on the sewingmachine pedal when changing or threading the needle.... just a little pressure and that needle will go right through finger! OUCH!

Oil paint! Yes, I must say that is the best technique I've learned... opened up a whole new world for my bears... I've experimented with more than just oils now and it give so much dimension to the face.

EXPERIMENT! Its great to use tried and true tehniques but in order to grow as a crafter or artist, in order to keep your work evolving, polishing your look, etc. you must try new things, take your bearmaking out of its comfort zone, challenge yourself! Cheap bears from the thrift store are great for practicing on!!! Don't be afraid!

When designing a new bear be open to the end result! It may not be what you had in mind! It might be better!

Carolynn Teenytinyteddybears

oh Daphne, remember that post well... sewing machines and fingers dont go well at all.

The rest good too. I used to think there was only a "right" way to do this... learning that it is great to think a bit differetly, some of the restuls are amazing, ok others not so hot, but learn every day.

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

I started leaving the neck open on my bear's head while I stitch his nose.  Helps tremendously to keep the muzzle straight as I continuously repack his nose while I stuff.

desertmountainbear desertmountainbear
Bloomsburg, PA

My favorite tip  from TT was I when I found out about prisma color markers blender.  I was afraid to use permanent markers, because well they were permanent, the blender made me not afraid.  I also started using oil paints after reading posts about them.  TT really helped me to become more confident with shading.  The next be hurdle, airbrushing.
Joanne

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

I learned......not to be afraid and to experiment. Plus there are different ways of doing everything and a place for each one.
as Daphne said....

When designing a new bear be open to the end result! It may not be what you had in mind! It might be better!

karenaus Melbourne
Website

Thread Heaven! You run your thread through it before you sew, it smooths your thread and stops it fraying, I can't be without it, and just about everyone I have ever had try it loves it.

Pacific Northwest
Daphne wrote:

Don't rest your foot on the sewingmachine pedal when changing or threading the needle.... just a little pressure and that needle will go right through finger! OUCH!

Ouch is right, Daphne. A really good thing, not to do.  I'll keep in it mind.
And rarely do my new designs come out as my mind's eye sees them coming out. So I've learned (more or less) to be open ..to surprises! bear_cry

Karen, what's a Thread Heaven?  Couldn't find it in the library.  Sure sounds useful!

Laura bear_flower

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Laura - I put the machine needle through my finger a month or two ago... it was a shocking experience ... hurt like heck for a while but no major damage.. just a hole! LOL!

Google "Thread Heaven". It's a wax for thread - makes it strong, keeps it from tangling - great for cotton thread! Comes in a little blue box.

bearbottombears Bear Bottom Heirloom Bears
Nova Scotia Canada

Loved the tip about the flip top storage bin for storing large quantities of stuffing. So handy. My favorite tho is a back saver.  I drop everything at least 100 times a day while working ...someone suggested (did I see it on TT? not sure) an expandible magnet.  Looks like a pen but opens up to about 3 feet so when I drop a cup of steel shot on the floor, I can just vacuum (hoover) it up with the magnet.  Not to mention the dozens of nuts and washers I drop into my bears belly while trying to joint. The magnet finds it all.  Couldn't be without it.

karenaus Melbourne
Website
danceswithteddybears wrote:
Daphne wrote:

Ouch is right, Daphne. A really good thing, not to do.  I'll keep in it mind.
And rarely do my new designs come out as my mind's eye sees them coming out. So I've learned (more or less) to be open ..to surprises! bear_cry

Karen, what's a Thread Heaven?  Couldn't find it in the library.  Sure sounds useful!

Laura :rose:

Hi Laura, Thread heaven comes in a teeny blue plastic box, its a silicone gel type stuff... I think it was originally designed for Quilters. You run your thread through it before you start to sew, and it smooths tangles and keeps your thread stronger. It's fabulous stuff!  ( I still do get knots though, but not as bad as without it) I try and introduce people to it when I am teaching classes and most people think its fantastic. Their website has a listing of places that sell it.

Pacific Northwest
bearbottombears wrote:

My favorite tho is a back saver.  I drop everything at least 100 times a day while working ...someone suggested (did I see it on TT? not sure) an expandible magnet.  Looks like a pen but opens up to about 3 feet so when I drop a cup of steel shot on the floor, I can just vacuum (hoover) it up with the magnet.  Not to mention the dozens of nuts and washers I drop into my bears belly while trying to joint. The magnet finds it all.  Couldn't be without it.

Gail, that's a great tip!!!  My hubby has one of those expandable magnets ..No, make that my hubby HAD one, 'cause it's mine now!
Super idea!!! :dance:

Daphne and Karen, thanks!  I'll go check out Thread Heaven!

Laura bear_flower

bearbottombears Bear Bottom Heirloom Bears
Nova Scotia Canada

Hi Laura, my hubby comes to me when he need a tool to work with. He can't seem to keep track of his.
Cheers
Gail G

All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website

My favourite tip was from ages ago ... Shelli I think ... how to paint on glass eyes.  After reading Shelli's method, I decided how I would like my own bear eyes to look and how to approach creating them.  Since then, I've used my twinkly eyes on so many of my bears!  I love the way they bring a bear's expression to life!  Thanks for giving me food for thought Shel! bear_thumb

Jellybelly Bears Jellybelly Bears
Australia
karenaus wrote:

Thread Heaven! You run your thread through it before you sew, it smooths your thread and stops it fraying, I can't be without it, and just about everyone I have ever had try it loves it.

ahhhhhhhhhhhh thread heaven  bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub  thanks eternally for introducing me to this new best friend  bear_wub  I wrote emails as I was using it for the first time I was so happy with it lol

edited to add~ my other new best friend, donna's stuffing sticks  bear_thumb  bear_wub  bear_wub

Donna Donna's Duin Bruins
Burbank, CA

Sarah,
Glad to see that the Ultimate stuffing tool is making your bear making a little better.
Donna

Board footer