Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

danceswithteddybears Dances With Teddy Bears
Pacific Northwest

Hi all!
So here's my silly dilemma..
I wrestle with my pearl cotton skeins.  And the skeins are winning.
I'd like to keep them as skeins, with their paper wrapping intact, so I know what number they are.  But I wind up with a sloppy mess, with paper label barely hanging on.
Do you leave them as skeins or turn them into balls, like other yarns?  How do you keep them numbered, or do you?  If I really like a certain color, I'd like to know what number it is, so I can buy more.
Thanks!
   Laura  bear_flower

Plum Cottage Bears Plum Cottage Bears
Long Beach, CA

Plum Cottage Bears Cute Animal Ambassador

When I need to start a new skein, say for noses, I take the skein out of its paper wrapping and stretch it over the top of the back of my desk task chair.  That way I can find the end and unwind it enough to start wrapping the perle cotton around a big file card.   The size of the perle cotton can be written on the end of the file card.  It stays straight and does not wind up in a spider's web or cat's cradle of disappearing ends.

fredbear Fred-i-Bear
Johannesburg
Website

These skeins are like socks- you always put two socks in the washing and one returns !!!!

I have tried pulling the right thread, only to also land up with a "knotted" mess. In the end I wrap them around a small plastic/cardboard with the name written on the top.
These cards are normally sold where they sell the threads and you get boxes that they can be stored in.

When I sold these DMC skeins I was able to purchase a  box that had long cards in it. You could wrap about 10 colors onto one card with the color printed onto the cards. These boxes took the full range with a few extra blanks for when they added to the collection.

Lynette

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

I unwrap them and wind them onto embroidery floss "bobbins" and write the color number on the bobbin.

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

I wind them onto card and staple the label (with it's number) to the card. That way I know what make of thread I am using as well.

danceswithteddybears Dances With Teddy Bears
Pacific Northwest

Thanks Gail, Lynette, Laura, and Wendy!!!
I will start unraveling and rewinding today.  I have a bunch of file cards somewhere.  They should do the trick.
I wonder why they twist the pearl skeins.  Is there a reason, besides to drive us all crazy?   bear_wacko
Again, thanks so much!
  Laura bear_flower

Plum Cottage Bears Plum Cottage Bears
Long Beach, CA

Plum Cottage Bears Cute Animal Ambassador

Laura, the skeins are probably twisted to minimize space in shipping.  At least that makes sense to me.

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

And maybe so they don't get tangled together in shipping! :crackup:

Board footer