Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

The Rabbit Maker The Rabbit Maker
England
Website

When I make my rabbits I cut out the pattern and then trim the fur back 5mm on the edge to allow for a less  bulky seam. It's a tip I read about when I first started making rabbits.  bear_thumb

You do get a better finish I think  and I have tried not doing it but if you get the fur trapped, you can end up with gaps in the stitching which is really annoying. bear_angry

I just wanted to check that this is what makers generally do. bear_rolleyes

It is the part I dislike the most and find it's very time consuming. bear_wacko

So if I have missed out on an alternative way of doing it, or if you don't do it , can you let me know or give me some advice? bear_grin

Many thanks

Shelly. bear_wub

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

Hi Shelly,

Yes, I trim my seams also.  Yep, it is time consuming... but I do see a difference, so I keep doing it  bear_grin

MerBear MerBear Originals
Brockville, Ontario

I find it depends on the type of mohair I'm using if I have to trim seams or not. Definitely on the plush dense types though.

Marion

Aleta - The Silly Bear The Silly Bear
Portland, Oregon
Website

Hi Shelly,  bear_flower
I trim the seams before sewing as well.  I use an electric razor....the kind for trimming up sideburns, moustaches and a short haircut at the nape of the neck.  I put a permanent mark on the blade so I know exactly how far in to trim.  Zip, zip....it's that quick!  If I remember later today, I'll post a picture so anyone out there who wants to go this route, knows what to look for.

Warmest bear hugs,  :hug:
Aleta

danceswithteddybears Dances With Teddy Bears
Pacific Northwest

Oh, Aleta  ..Please try to post a picture. 
Sounds like a faster way, and I think I have one of those razor thingys, somewhere.
Thanks!!! :hug:

Tracy ThimbleBeary Originals
Iowa
Website

Ooooh....I'm so glad I clicked on this thread!  Aleta, you are a genius! bear_thumb   I never thought to use an electric razor for trimming the seams, and I absolutely hate to trim them with the scissors  bear_wacko .......do it anyway though with the dense furs as I feel it's needed for a nice finish.  Anyway, Darren has an extra trimmer that I'm about to confiscate...poor man, the things he gives up for me and my bears! bear_grin

Laurie Laurie Lou Bears
Norfolk

I do use a lot of sparser mohairs so I don't trim the seams as I don't think it is necessary but if I use mohairs with any thickness to them I always trim them(even if it is one of those more boring things to do) because it gives a neater finish.
Laurie  :hug:

All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website

I always trim my seams Shelly.  I was first given that tip by Frank Webster of Charnwood Bears, many years ago .. he said it would give a professional finish and he was absolutely right.  It is time consuming though and pretty hard on the hand joints too if you are trimming up more than one bear at a time.  I've never used trimmers though ... might have to give that a whirl one day!

England
Website

Thanks for all the replies !! At least I'm not the only one who doesn't enjoy doing it and I'm not missing out on some wonderful technique!!

I did buy some trimmers a while a go and they are OK but you do need control. It didn't make a huge difference to me but I will wait for Aleta's photos just in case she has a secret skill!

From now on when ever I'm trimming my seams I'll picture you all doing the same  :dance:

bear_wub

kellydean k e l l y d e a n & c o m p a n y
Narrowsburg, New York
Website

I shave every seam and have been using my beard trimmer to do so for years, but last year I bought a trimmer kit that has multiple exchangeable heads.  one of them is only1/4" wide, and absolutely perfect for shaving seams.  unfortunately, it doesn't work worth a hoot on sassy fabics - sometimes I can't even get my scissors to shave sassies. . . (quick, say it 5 times, fast!)

England
Website
kellydean wrote:

one of them is only1/4" wide, and absolutely perfect for shaving seams.

Now that sounds more like it. I haven't seen one that narrow, so I'll look out for one. bear_thumb

MerBear MerBear Originals
Brockville, Ontario

Kelly, If I shave Sassy fabrics I use my small Fiskars with success.

Marion

Narrowsburg, New York
Website
The Rabbit Maker wrote:
kellydean wrote:

one of them is only1/4" wide, and absolutely perfect for shaving seams.

Now that sounds more like it. I haven't seen one that narrow, so I'll look out for one. bear_thumb

TJ MaXX is usually full of them 'round the holidays, at a discount.   I think I've seen TJ's in england.

Marion, the little fiskars is what I use for everything (I'm a lefty and regular scissors are hell) but sometimes it just don't wanna cut, esp on the bottom edge, when you're trying so desperately not to cut the pile. . .   :pray:

All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website

Marion, the little fiskars is what I use for everything (I'm a lefty and regular scissors are hell)

Aha!  This we have in common Kelly!

Narrowsburg, New York
Website

I file down the lower tip of my fur-cutting Fiskars down just a smidge. I find that it helps me not catch that sharp, pointy tip in the weave & lessens the chance that I'll cut the pile.

it renders the scissors totally useless for trimming the edge on sassy, though,so I've got a bunch of them lying around.

Portland, Oregon
Website

razor2.jpgrazor1.jpgOkie dokie....pictures!!  My shaver/trimmer is rechargeable so I don't have a funky cord to get in my way or pull in a direction I do not want it to go.  Just for the purpose of picture taking I've taken a picture with a piece that was already trimmed.  See what a clean line it leaves!  Oh, and I'm not a lefty.  I had to hold the trimmer with my left hand so I could get a picture with my right hand!  That took a little juggling!  I think you can see the line on my shaver/trimmer in the upright photo. 

Because I do bears in multiples....drawing, cutting, trimming, etc.....I'm able to do a bunch of bears all in one go.  And, the best part, no hand trauma/carpal tunnel!!

Aleta

Gail Bear With Me Enterprises
Website

Hi Aleta
What make is your trimmer and where were you able to purchase it?
Hugs
Gail :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

wazzabears Wazza Bears Australia
Bulli

I have used my clipper for years on my bears. I actually use them for the whole piece of mohair. I do like the thinker mohairs but they are for larger bears. I get my clippers out and give them a Num 1 or 2 with the clippers and then I can make a 3" bear out of them. I do use them on my biggers bears to trim the seams as well with no attachments.

BootButtonBears BootButtonBears
Adelaide
Website

Great advice Peta.  I never thought of using clippers to give a whole piece of mohair a shave.  I must give it a go.  Thanks for letting us know.

EvaJ EJ's Crafts
Fort Mohave, Arizona

I work mainly in plush and I use the little Fiskars sissors too and a few months ago I started to use a trimmer which is so much faster and easier on the hands.  I didn't realize that other people were doing this too.  By the way, I am a lefty too bear_grin

Eva
www.ejcrafts.com

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

I learnt the trick several years ago here on TT. It's been one of the best tips. I graduated from a moustach trimmer to one of the grown up versions that Aleta has shown.  My tiny battery moustach trimmers are excellent on sassy fabrics.

Portland, Oregon
Website

Hi Gail!  bear_flower
Mine is a Panasonic and I bought it at a retail beauty supply store.  I'm sure any brand of the same thing would work just fine.  I can't remember what I paid for it.  You may be able to buy something like it on eBay!  Ebay is always my "go to" place when I'm looking for something specific and don't want to run all over town trying to track it down.
bear_original  bear_original

Aleta

England
Website

I find that the trimmers can be easy to use where the fur is lying from top to bottom, bear_thumb  but when you then have to do the lower edge of the pattern piece and the fur is overhanging.....that's the awkward bit  bear_angry

Narrowsburg, New York
Website

mine's a sassoon that I picked up at TJ Maxx for 12.99 last Christmas when my old one burned out.  it has interchangeable heads, works both cordless and corded, which is great when you have a big trimming job.  it also has a 'power boost' button to rev it up when you hit - literally - a snag.

trimmers.jpg

I use a set of heavy-duty power dog trimmers when I want to shave down large expanses of fur.  I figured if they worked on a cocker spanial, they'd work on mohair - and they do.!

audley Posts: 16

In making miniature bears, (4 - 6") of sparse mohair, I use a needle to push the mohair under my seam line as I hand sew but sometimes when I turn the bear the on the right side  the hair is sticking straight up on the seam line. What am I doing wrong?  If I would shave the seam, which is miniscule, would that solve the problem?

Board footer