Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

Gail Bear With Me Enterprises
Website

Could those of you who do bears and critters with internal armature care to share how it is done and what you use?
Thanks so much
Gail

K Pawz Guest

sure! I use 18 guage floral wire and florist tape over the rough spots! Make your armature before you turn right in order to figure out where things need to be bent and positioned. I found this easier than trying to make the form after it was turned, this way you can lay it right on top of the inside out piece to make the form.

hugs,
Krista

Linda Benson Bears
Tasmania

You can also use electrical wire from the hardware store. You can buy it by the metre. Then strip a bit of the plastic coating off and push that end onto a crimp lug (also from the hardware electrical depatment), and squeeze the crimp closed. If you use the special tool then you can't go wrong. The lugs have a loop that fits over your jointing pin or bolt. I then wrap the wire with poly stuffing and wind thread tightly around it along it's entire length, so that it all stays put. Hope this helps bear_original  bear_original You can use different guage wires for different sized bears bear_original  bear_original

greatwon2 AlmostBears
Tasmania

for my minis im using a copper wire, but im not happy with it really...those crimp things are a really good idea but i havnt seen any small enough to be used on a 3 inch approx bear also i have a real struggle to place the wire inside the bear thru the tiny stuffing openings .... so i will be interested in hearing what everyone else does...tho it may be only me that finds it such a struggle bear_laugh

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Hi Gail... for my two cents:

I do armature a couple of different ways.  For my recent Koda bear I used loc-line with "Y" joints for the rear leg attachments an "X" joint of the arm attachments as this bear is a non-jointed bear.

For loc-line with jointed bears you can attach the loc-line to the joint .....there is a post with photos on how to do this in the TT Library that I put together a few years ago. 

Sometimes I use wire.  When I use wire I wrap it in strips of batting.  This way the wire will stay put much better when positioning arms and legs.

I just finished a life-sized approx 9 to 11- month old tiger...he is huge.  I used 10 gauge fencing wire and apoxie sculpt to reinforce connections of the spine, arm , and leg wires, where the wires cross. He is so sturdy with this wire.  I hope this makes sense.  I'll post a picture when I can.

MerBear MerBear Originals
Brockville, Ontario

Thanks for sharing ladies....for some reason I was thinking you'd have to only use loc-line for a full internal armature. Nice to know about alternatives.

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

I like to wrap the electrical wire in those foam perm rods from the beauty supply store.  I LOVE those things!

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

I get my wire from Maplins...its copper wire for coil making and holds the shape but is pliable . They have loads of wire to choose from.

If you don't have a Maplins near you you can by on-line....

OOOPs, Gail...I just noticed you are in Canada...you should have similar stores to MAPLINS,,,they do all kind of electrical stuff in the UK

MerBear MerBear Originals
Brockville, Ontario

actually I have wrapped wire - I get it from the co-op or garden supply stores .... used for tying up plants so it's soft.

Website

Huge thanks to all of you for your help I really appreciate it. You are the best!!!!
Hugs
Gail :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

kellydean k e l l y d e a n & c o m p a n y
Narrowsburg, New York
Website

I use galvanized steel wire where I want rigidity and annealed where I need flexibility, in gauges anywhere from 4 - 28, depending on the size of the piece. 

Judi, I really like your idea of using apoxie sculpt to strengthen joints.  I've got a bunch just sitting here anyway.

Website

Hi Kelly
What is annealed? Thanks for your response to my question
Hugs
Gail

kellydean k e l l y d e a n & c o m p a n y
Narrowsburg, New York
Website
Gail wrote:

Hi Kelly
What is annealed? Thanks for your response to my question
Hugs
Gail

annealed wire is steel wire that has been heat-treated to have no memory.  if you get a kink or a bend in it, it's very easy to straighten.

one note on using copper electrical wire for armature - copper wire has a high conductivity, but a very low tensile strength.  in other words, it's soft, and fairly easy to break by twisting.  I've used black coated 14-gauge electrical wire for years to wire all the trees and lights in place when I decorate our Main Street and have gone though many huge rolls, so I've had some experience with it.  I doubt anyone will be twisting your teddy's arm off, but it's something to think about.

Website

Thanks for the information Kelly I really appreciate it
Hugs
Gail

Board footer