Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

dieselkat Timaru

teddy2.jpgi've had my teddy bear since i was born, and he's very special to me.  but he's an unusual shape that i've never seen before. he's at least 33 years old (lol), and he's a little worn. his nose used to be conical and black, but my cousin bit his plastic nose off, and over the years it's become very flat. the yellow around his middle is very near to his original colour, due to the wonderful set of underwear he's worn lol. he also had a felt red tongue that stuck out, and that's been gone for years too. if anyone knows anything about him that would be wonderful. i'm in new zealand, and always have been. and i do think he was store bought rather than hand made. thank you very much in advance

Us Bears Pennsylvania

Is he a felted wool Bear?

We have several "felty" Bears who were made of knitted wool.  Then, before stuffing, the Bear is washed in the washing machine so the wool fibers blend together to turn into felt.

Being from New Zeland, which produces a lot of wool, I'd say that's a fair bet.  No?

Not saying he is a home made Bear but he looks similar to the ones we have who were.

He could have been made by a Bear maker like many who hang out here then put up for adoption in a consignment store or something like that.

dieselkat Timaru

thanks us bears
i don't know if he's knitted to tell the truth. he's made of synthetic fibres, and looks like he's machined sewed. mmm got me curious now lol. my grandad bought him and he died last year before i thought to ask him. i'll have to quiz nana and see if she knows anything else lol
thank you again

dieselkat Timaru

thanks oz matilda, i haven't been able to find a website that shows the verna bears, but thanks for the lead. hopefully i'll find something lol

OzMatilda Posts: 209

Hi, here is a scan of some 70's and 80's Verna bears that were mass produced and distributed..the one down the bottom right had the red tongue as well, plastic nose etc, no pawpads..like your's, this photo still has ted quite firmly stuffed..i think they were stuffed with little cut up foam blocks/pieces....i actually had the earlier model from the 70's with the rexine pawpads the photo right top, pretty sure by memory it had a growler in it too or a voice box of some kind....I gave him away to a guy who had the blue coloured bear..so he then had a couple..the blue and the yellow... If i get a chance i'll scan some other Verna's from some other resourceful books I have here on identifying teds....Note the bear body shape etc...that is two toned, it's from the 70's and more resembles your style of ted era...your's is more likely from the late 70's, early 80's...

verna_80s_70s.jpg

dieselkat Timaru

wow thanks oz matilda. that bottom right one does look a lot like him! he must be an earlier version of it - lol of course. i was born in 1975, so the one in the pic looks like an update. thank you sooooo much!!!!!!!! bear_flower

Board footer