Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

Little Bear Guy Little Bear Guy
Waterloo, Ontario

I understand Karen, I'm with Bubble up Bears though, why not open a new account and let your collectors know what the new account is.  Paypal doesn't have to change just a new ebay account.  I don't know much about the new ebay and what it entails to set up a new one.  Just a thought but maybe that won't work either.

Sorry your having these problems, I've suggested on a few post over the past couple of yrs that we should be moving away from ebay and on to some of the other sites.  Every article I have read in the papers about ebay they are talking about competing against Amazon for sales, so they don't want the little guy on there.  It's so stupid I have to agree and it must be very very frustrating. 

big hugs

Shane

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

Karen,
     Everything that is happening on ebay is just confirming all the rumours I heard over a year ago.  They have gone from the sublime to the ridiculous.  I agree.  I am going to send you a PM about something I thought about.

hugs,

Brenda

Jellybelly Bears Jellybelly Bears
Australia

that is total...do we have a blowing raspberry smily?....I too think they are trying to get rid of small sellers....I just paid my final fees, and I won't be listing there again...the expense, drama...and to top it off, I'm now getting spam from chinese businesses "we are not wishing to bother you, but have an extensive range of electrical appliances...."  isn't that against the rules?  to bother people via email?  crazy crazy.....

I'm about to look into Etsy soon, and my new bears will be listed either there or B4B....thanks for letting us know about this Karen  :hug:

FenBeary Folk FenBeary Folk
Pointon Fen, Lincolnshire, UK

Karen this all sucks, I understand you aren't allowed to open a new ebay account, ebay blocks it

I really do feel for you, for a long time now I have thought that the "shipping" star will be the downfall of us all, alot of buyers do not realise the cost of sending bears, I for one never check the postage cost on an item I have purchased when it arrives and leave feedback days later, when all thoughts of the weight, size etc has been lost, so when it comes to me giving the shipping star, I usually think "was it expensive"...................therein lies our problem, yes it was, not cos we fleeced the buyer, but because it was, just that, expensive bear_cry and ELLEN has just made another very valid point about shipping re customs

I have to admit to leaving 4, thank god it was for a seller of multiple items, who would not have suffered from my 4

Karen is the first, it will not be long before more are frozen out, the stars are starting to kick in, time wise. My feedback is at 11 but my stars are not at 10 yet, once that happens, my average will probably slowly go down, as Karen's has, I am sure some of you are edging for 4.1 on shipping now, so...

May I make a big suggestion

(do not want to step on toes) The big guys GET TOGETHER, choose a listing site, and the rest of us smaller guys will follow, publise it wherever, whenever you can, websites etc Those that are still listing on ebay, put a note on your website that states this is the last ebay listing, the traffic to your website from an ebay listing is good, so lets use it. It will be slow but if you removed all TTr's from ebay, look at the impact, surely collectors will wonder where we have all gone

Ebay is a huge organisation, yes but collectively we are HUGE as well

Us little guys, have not got enough clout but you guys have bear_thumb

Don't mean to step on toes but we are at the point we all need to act bear_grin

Jellybelly Bears Jellybelly Bears
Australia

I second Sue's suggestion....let go team Bear!! and get the benefits of Ebay without the headache  bear_thumb  I know we can do it, even if it means taking on more staff at a chosen auction site or Etsy, wherever....I think the idea is a great one.

God love that

"Team Bear"

bear_wub  bear_wub

Yes lets fight back, I loved Bid4bears, good price but it just doesn't have the footfall YET, but it could :dance:

Bubble-Up Bears Bubble Up Bears!
Murrieta, California

Is this something new? Only allowing one eBay ID account? I have 3. One I buy from, one I sell from and the one my husband uses. I know for the longest time it was an issue that if a bad seller was shut down they would just open a new account and I thought eBay put up blocks to keep this from happening but surely you are not considered a "Bad" seller. I'm referring to those who take your money and don't send you your item. Not bear people of course!!! I bought $500 worth of Casa Cristina Dinnerware and was ripped off never seeing my items.
I know many are upset with eBay and for good reasons but I just hate to see anyone throw the baby out with the bath water. I love buying from bear artist on eBay and if not for eBay I probably wouldn't have found out that there was such a thing as a bear artists. Not to mention the wonderful people and dear friends I have met along the way. bear_original

I have to admit, I adore ebay too but I am not sure that we are welcome anymore bear_cry I too found artists bears this way but what is the diference from ebay to bid4bears, none that I can see bear_grin 

As for having more than one account, you can but in the rules of "stars" if you are blocked from listing you cannot open another account

Sorry at work so typing fast, hope this helps :hug:

Murrieta, California

Thank you Sue. bear_original

Amanda Pandy Potter Bears
Staffordshire, UK

This stinks, I hope you can find a way around it, official or......not official. Just lately I've been buying a few items of clothing for my holiday. I had good service for my items etc so knew to tick all the stars. Even when postage was a bit over. Reason being the price was good altogether for the jacket, the seller makes it on the postage, ebay loses out on fees as item price was lower. Now I know they want to crack down on this but every little man for himself on ebay,  bear_tongue to ebay.

I charge what the posatge is too whn selling bears, I can't help it that Royal Mail charge x amount, thats what I have to charge. Its such a shame, hopefully collectors will realise how it all works. :hug:

The Rabbit Maker The Rabbit Maker
England
Website

I have never used the star rating when leaving feedback . I only leave a feedback message as I always have.

I didn't like the idea of the seller not being able to see the results.

I don't know if this helps or hinders the seller.

When I have asked for a postage price or known in advance what it is I have just made the decision as to whether I wanted to pay the amount or not, knowing sometimes I was little ripped off. But that's all part of ebay !!

By passing so much power to the buyers it has allowed them in some respect to unknowingly shoot themselves in the foot.

I'm sure if buyers understood that the start rating they were leaving in good faith affected the seller so much they wouldn't do it !

Come to think of it maybe they haven't been informed !
Maybe there should be a note next to a star rating stating that  'beware scores left may affect a sellers business'.

If buyers aren't aware of this  then could this be a loop hole ??

I am not sure Shelly

It reads as though, if you don't leave detailed seller rating, then its ignored in the seller calculation

The system came into play in Feb 08, I don't have a DSR rate yet, so I am assuming that some of my buyers have ignored the DSR system.

When it comes to buying, I always add the price to the shipping for a total too  bear_thumb

One thing that did occur, you have no way of knowing when your DSR is above 4.1 unless you check it every day........................for example: Most of us will be on a yearly system (as we don't sell more than 10 per 30 days) So if you had a star value of 3 given in Feb then it will take til Feb 09 to clear, now if you then had a 3 in October and that then stopped you listing, you wouldn't have to wait til October to list but Februray as the first 3 would be removed then..............hope that makes sense...............as you don't know when you got a "lower"!! star rating then you can't guess when you can list again but it will be at least Feb 09 from now

Sorry if you guys had worked this one out  bear_grin just trying to be helpful  bear_thumb

kathytaylor Ruby Mountain Bears
Northern Nevada, USA

That is just what I was thinking, How do new sellers get started. And if no limitations can you access your old bidders list and just open a new account and begin over??? What is to keep you from having several accounts?? That way if you have a problem you just use another account. Sounds schemey but hey Ebay is not exactly honest Abe here.
Can you open another account.??

kezjoy KezjoyKritterz
Gippsland Victoria

That is nuts..sellers are being held to randsome by buyers..arghh. Can you list on a different ebay? Like ebay.com.au. or uk..japan...etc..I know the aussie one doesn't yet have the number ratings..might be worth a try!!
Kerrilyn

Peggy Lakeland Teddies
Bonnyville, Alberta

Love the Team Bear idea too!  Come on everyone, let's unite as a team.  My vote is to check out www.theteddypatch.com as IT'S FREE TO LIST.  If we let our collectors know where we are, they will follow.

Peggy

edie Bears by Edie
Southern Alberta

I'm gathering from what Karen said that she is NOT allowed to open another ebay account  with a new identity now that she has been blocked - not sure how they monitor that but they must have a way.

Perhaps, a thought for the rest of us though, it might be a good idea to open another account while your star rating is still okay - so then if you do get blocked you can go sell on the other account. I originally thought of having two accounts - one for buying and one for selling, like Bubble-Up Bears (sorry, I don't know your name!), but then figured I get my feedback built up higher faster just using one but now I am seriously wondering about adding another one - either that or forget selling on ebay!

I like your idea, Sue, of everyone getting together and moving to one specific site to sell - like bid4bears - and highly publicizing it and why they are moving - but it would only work if enough people all moved at the same time to the same new site so it was really noticeable that they were gone from ebay and that the new site was immediately filled with bears available - not an easy thing to accomplish!

momanimallover Taber, Alberta

WOW, all this is scary!! I have to admit I check everyone almost every single time with 5 stars, what's the harm in that? even if the shipping can be a little high but isn't it common sense that we can't control the postal service and customs on how long it takes to deliver!!! I expressed posted a parcel about a month 3 months ago and it took almost 2 weeks!!!! not my fault that's for sure.... ebay seems to be going to h...... :twisted:

White Forest White Forest Bears
Southern California
Bubble-Up Bears wrote:

Is this something new? Only allowing one eBay ID account? I have 3. One I buy from, one I sell from and the one my husband uses. I know for the longest time it was an issue that if a bad seller was shut down they would just open a new account and I thought eBay put up blocks to keep this from happening but surely you are not considered a "Bad" seller. I'm referring to those who take your money and don't send you your item. Not bear people of course!!! I bought $500 worth of Casa Cristina Dinnerware and was ripped off never seeing my items.
I know many are upset with eBay and for good reasons but I just hate to see anyone throw the baby out with the bath water. I love buying from bear artist on eBay and if not for eBay I probably wouldn't have found out that there was such a thing as a bear artists. Not to mention the wonderful people and dear friends I have met along the way. :)

I totally agree with you.  I hate, hate, hate what is going on with the DSR's, and I especially hate that this is happening to Karen.  Ebay has many flawed policies, and I hope they address them.  But ebay is still an important venue for many artists, and I also still love to buy things using ebay. 

Karen, I hope that there is some way to fix this.  Have you discussed this on the ebay boards at all?  Maybe "Seller Central"?  I think it's important to get your story out there.

danceswithteddybears Dances With Teddy Bears
Pacific Northwest

Ebay has gone above and beyond nasty-crazy!  bear_angry   
I'm not sure if this has changed, but a while back I wanted to open another ebay account.  I already had two, which I opened way back when ebay was young.  But I thought I'd open a third, just because I was really bored that day. 
Well, they denied a third account to me saying one (actually two) were already in my name.  I tried using my husband's name, it was denied as well ..since we both have the same last name and home address.  I knew you couldn't open a new account using an email address that's already being used on an existing account, so I used another of my email addresses.  Apparently, that wasn't enough.
I don't know if this is still the case.  But I'm pretty sure you still can't use an already being used email address.
But who knows ..Ebay keeps changing the rules!  bear_wacko

The shipping fee DSR is the killer, I agree with everyone there.  Mine is 4.6 and I've always shipped the cheapest way, and quoted exact shipping (nothing added for the box, the tape, the packing materials, the drive to the Post Office, etc).  Up front and clearly shown in my auctions.  And I still get a low score for shipping!!!!

A gal I buy from occasionally has NEVER charged for shipping.  Always clearly marked as FREE SHIPPING in her auctions.  She packs well, ships fast, and her items are great.  She has 100% positive feedback.  However ..her shipping DSR is 4.8!!!  Do buyers not pay attention?  Her shipping is FREE!  How much better can it get?
I just don't understand..  :doh:

Melbear Melbear's Quality Collectibles
Spruce Grove, Alberta
Website

I think you have to use another address to open a new account... I have 2 accounts .. I had issues with buying dolls on ebay years ago so instead of ruining my seller account by having to leave negatives (thus getting oneback  even though I paid for my items and got nothing) .. I opened another for buying. I used my work address and a different email. I haven't listed a bear on ebay in almost a year though.. and I am getting annoyed selling my minis on there... I don't have enough stars to get high up in the "best match"  nonsense. I have always featured my bears.. but the last one cost me almost $50 in fees when all was said and done.. $50! my Collector might as well have had $50 off the bear. *sigh*.
hugs,
Melanie

Murrieta, California

You do have to use a different email address and credit card to open another account.  bear_original

ScaliWagGrrs ScaliWagGrrs
Denver, Colorado
Website

I am all for going to another site too. Team Bear sounds like a good idea to me.
Beth

Jare Hares & Bears Jare Hares & Bears
Polo, IL

Understand one thing... I didn't read every post on this thread, but I have read enough to know that I will be listing my bears and bunnies for sale on etsy from now on.  I would love to have the chance to have 2 bidders go after a piece and get more money, but not if I can be hung up on low DSR.  Forget that!
Maybe we could replace the ebay link with an etsy link.

Little Bear Guy Little Bear Guy
Waterloo, Ontario

Great idea Jared with changing out the ebay link for an Etsy link, although you can possibly get more on ebay via an auction then on Etsy  but with all the fees and the time to post and all that other stuff.  You can sell it on bearpile or or Etsy and likely wind up with the same amount (ok I'm not talking about those artist that can have an auction go for a couple of thousand dollars  bear_grin  bear_grin ) but honestly if you normally sell a bear at a show for 200-300 and that's what your getting in an auction then what's the sense, put it on your website for the same price on on another site.

just my two cents worth

big hugs

Shane

White Forest White Forest Bears
Southern California

Bearpile is AWESOME!!  I've gotten so many new collectors from that site, and Dave Stack is fantastic.  He also has a new site Dollpile.com for dolls.

Board footer