Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

kezjoy KezjoyKritterz
Gippsland Victoria

years ago when I first started bear making, I bought some shot..then a few years later people kept going on about not using lead shot, but to use steel shot..i have absolutely no idea if the shot i have is lead or steel. I haven't used the stuff for years and years for fear of poisoning someone inadvertantly..does anyone know how to tell the difference?? Besides licking and seeing if one goes mad?? ..if it is lead..how do i dispose of it??
Thanks
Kerrilyn

Gail P Walnut Tree Corner Bears By Gail
Suffolk

I  think I am right in saying(I may be wrong, its a long time since I did science at school bear_rolleyes )that lead is not magnetic.So you could do a quick test with a magnet to find out if it is lead or steel.

Us Bears Pennsylvania

Lead is toxic.  Steel is not.
The only reason to use lead is because steel might rust.  But, if you sew the shot up in little pouches, that problem will be virtually eliminated.

There's a real easy way to tell if it's lead or steel.  Try to smash it with a hammer or something.
Lead is soft and malleable.  Steel is hard.
Depending on the kind of lead you are using, it might be soft enough for you to dent it with your fingernails.

If you decide to use lead, be sure to wash your hands after working with it and DEFINATELY before you eat, drink or smoke anything.  You can get lead dust on your fingers and it can transfer to your food when you eat.

A LITTLE bit of lead in your system isn't going to hurt you at all.
But, if you work with lead for any length of time, you stand a chance of getting it into your system.  If too much lead builds up in your body, you can get sick from it.

I vote you use steel shot or glass marbles.

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

I dont know anything about lead other than its toxic (as already mentioned) and it usually lives on the roof.  bear_whistle I think lead maybe heavier than steel? that was probably why it was being used.
But I do know of a great alternative to the shot you have been using.....and that is the

Stainless steel shot

which Stephanie sells at Sassy's. I have been using it for several years now and it is great.
Wendy

Studio44 Studio 44
UK

A magnet is your best way of being sure as lead is not magnetic and steel is magnetic.

Dorothy

MerBear MerBear Originals
Brockville, Ontario

I went to a local gun store and was able to purchase SS shot....10 lbs cost about $28.

Marion

2catkiss LALand Bears
Oregon

Hello everyone
I have also used copper BBs.  They come in a carton and are not very expensive.

Kindest Regards
Lee Ann

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

What did we learn from this topic folks?...........................

Head for our local gun shop!

bear_grin  :crackup:

Little Bear Guy Little Bear Guy
Waterloo, Ontario

Really Marion,  you were able to buy it from a gun shop? Wow my sister here tried to by some copper shot at Canadian Tire (she does decorative eggs and uses it for weight) they wouldn't sell it to her because she didn't have a gun license  bear_grin  bear_grin .  We use steel shot but we buy it from our local supplier.

hugs

Shane

Us Bears Pennsylvania

Lead is more dense than steel by about 150%  You will need about 1/3 less volume of lead to make the same weight as you would with steel.

Lead is softer and more malleable than steel.  You can squash lead very easily with a hammer or a heavy object.  You can not squash steel.  It is too hard.

Lead can be mixed with other metals to make different alloys.  Different alloys of lead are used for many different things from making bullets and fishing weights to making fire sprinklers.  Different alloys of lead have different hardnesses.  Some are harder.  Some are very soft.  If you get fishing sinker lead from the tackle shop it will be a bit harder.  If you get lead shot for shotguns it will be softer.

If lead is soft enough, you can even dent it with your fingernails.
You can't do that with steel.

I also think stainless is better than regular steel.  If you can get that, it would be better.

If you want copper, go to the sporting goods store and get a carton of BBs used for BB guns.  They're cheap.
As I said above, you can also go to the fishing store and get some fishing weights.  (Split-shot.)

I can't imagine that customs would have a problem with metal inside a Bear used to weight his bum.  If it was a small amount, I don't think they'd even know.
But you never can tell...  Can you?  :(

I can't recommend enough to wash your hands when you're done working with lead.
Just some good, old fashioned soap and hot water ought to do.   bear_thumb

greatwon2 AlmostBears
Tasmania

i havnt been able to find stainless steel shot in australia and the shipping is high for it online ...the local gun shop sells lead shot in little zip lock bags ...says for bear making, so i have been using that the last few bears ........ does anyone know if collectors are iffy about buying bears with lead in them.... considering the product recalls of kids toys containing lead , i myself would be hesitant , any thoughts on this would be appreciated because even tho i dont sell yet im planning to try my luck soon  bear_original

Us Bears Pennsylvania

It's not like you're playing with cyanide or something like that. ;)
George Washington's false teeth were made from lead.  (Most people think they were wooden.)
On the other hand, if you get too much of it in your system it can make you sick.
The idea is to keep our lead exposure to a minimum so we don't have to worry about getting sick from it in the first place.

I'm a target shooter.  I shoot at little, tiny targets, about the size of a golf ball from a distance of a half a football field away.  It takes a lot of practice to be able to hit those targets.  Consequently, it takes a lot of bullets to practice.  And, since bullets are made from lead, I have to be careful.  I've been doing it for years.  As long as I take precautions, I have nothing to worry about.  But, if I get careless, I could end up getting sick.  But, hey...  It's an assumed-risk sport.  One should know the hazards before you even try it for the first time.  Right?

Anyhoo...

For a person who is NOT regularly exposed to lead, a Bear with lead in his bum shouldn't be a problem as long as it stays sealed inside.  If it's a Bear made for collectors, who will give him an occasional hug, and let him sit on the shelf most of the time...  (Except when the Bear needs a cookie!)...  There should be no problems.  The lead will never get out.  Especially, if you put the shot in little plastic baggies like you said.  No problem at all.

However, if this is a Bear meant to be given to children to play with, I would NOT put lead inside.
Chances are, nothing bad will ever happen, but if something did happen, you'd want to be as safe as possible.

Bottom line:

Collectible Bears?  Lead should be no problem.
Children's Bears?  Use something else!

Board footer