Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

Koala Adorable Bears
Shepparton/Victoria

I just received an order from Teddy Bits Australia. Marlene De Lorenzo took the order but when it arrived a note stated that Phillips Ted-e-bear Supplies have taken it over.So the goods were posted from Sydney rather than Melbourne. I was happy with the usual prompt service and maybe the difference in Postage was little but it is ..to me, another sign that the bear world is going through tough times.
I cant even think of stopping making bears or koalas, as try as I do the mohair/alpaca etc. stash is not getting smaller.
Susan

melissa Honeythorpe Bears
Wellington, New Zealand
Website

Oh...they are all disappearing aren't they.  I made it to the Teddy's Bits shop just before they closed to do mail order only and it was fantastic...I'm still using the mohair I bought.

jazzyrags Jazzy Rags
nsw

Susan do you get your discs from Teddy Bear Craft Supplies i find there a good price .Fran

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

It seems abit odd to me. Are'nt there more of us making bears. Over here in Perth. most bear business's last maybe six months. Can't figure it myself. bear_wacko

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Matilda,
I agree there seem to be more artists today than every before. And most of us seem to have enough mohair to last us a life time and STILL keep buying so I don't get it!
But then, bear sales as a whole are down...
I'm confussed, again!
Daphne

melissa Honeythorpe Bears
Wellington, New Zealand
Website

I think the general people who made bears as a hobby have declined a lot.  My mum works in a sewing shop and back when I started to make bears (97/98) there were a lot of people joining the teddy craze, it's when magazines like Australian Bear Creations got started etc,  In the last two or three years they've hardly been able to sell a single piece of fabric.

kimboycethomas Posts: 25

Speaking of Marlene De Lorenzo... I am dying to get my hands on some of her patterns, but everything on her website comes in a "kit."  I really do not want to pay for the joints, mohair etc to be shipped to the US.  I emailed directly on the website asking to buy patterns only, but never got a reply.  Do any of you gals down under know where I might buy just the patterns?

Kim T

rufnut Rufnut Teddy's
Victoria Australia

Oh Susan, I am devastated to hear that about Teddys Bits, I saw Marlene about 2 weeks ago, she didn't say anything about closing the business, it appeared very active as a mail order business from home. :(

Kim did you try Ebay Australia ebay.com.au for Marlene's patterns, when she had the shop she did sell patterns separately.  Unfortunately I only have one of her patterns for a beginners type bear.

Yeah I am still relatively new and I cannot believe how many places have closed over the past 3 years very depressing.

rufnut Rufnut Teddy's
Victoria Australia

Kim, try her website I can see patterns on there http://www.teddysbits.com

Koala Adorable Bears
Shepparton/Victoria

I think Marlene will still be very active by designing new bears. It sounds like a merge. She actually took my order but it came from Phillip-e-bears in Sydney so in fact there is still one less outlet. I would think you could get her patterns through them without buying a kit. I would at least ask.
Susan

Board footer