Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

renstudio Posts: 6

bear_laugh HI ALL bear_tongue

I have seen handmade teddies with swivle heads. they don't just turn like on a joint; they swivel in all directions.
How is this achieved, and where do i get the hardware for it
thanks so much!!

MerBear MerBear Originals
Brockville, Ontario
Donna Donna's Duin Bruins
Burbank, CA

Hi,
Another way to get good movement would be to use loc-line in the neck.  You could use it with or without a joint.  It would be less expensive than the yes no mechanism also.  Also you will need to make a good sized bear to accomadate the yes/no mechanism.
I am sure there may be more ways to do this.  I am looking forward to more answers so I can learn other methods.
Donna

Little Bear Guy Little Bear Guy
Waterloo, Ontario

I have seen a swivel style neck joint but for the life of me I can't remember where I saw it on the internet.  It allows the head to go in all directions.  Maybe someone else has a better memory that I do and can find it.

big hugs

Shane

Christine Christine Pike Bears
Norfolk, UK
Website

I had some once - they look like a small satellite dish! bear_grin   To be honest, I never found them very successful - very fiddly to insert, and the actual range of movement was quite limited.  I think you would be better going down the Loc line route...
Christinex

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

What about using two cotter pins in the neck joint? Seems like that would be the simplest and easiest! Gives a wobble head effect.
Here is a past discussion about it: http://www.teddy-talk.com/viewtopic.php?id=7145

Swan Valley Bears Swan Valley Bears
Penn Valley, CA

I've seen the swivel joint too, and I also don't remember where.  I do remember, though,  that it was quite expensive, like around $25.

Little Bear Guy Little Bear Guy
Waterloo, Ontario

That's the perfect way to describe it Christine  :crackup:  :crackup: ,  they were expensive when I saw them but never bought them or tried them  looked way to fiddly for me

hugs

Shane

Christine Christine Pike Bears
Norfolk, UK
Website

And they can be lethal too - I forgot to mention that they are held together with a cotter pin and tension spring... you have to be very careful when you take the thing apart or you could take out someone's eye!! bear_grin

Seriously, unless they have improved on the design in recent years, I don't think they are worth the bother.  Loc-line or wobble joints give a much more pleasing effect.

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

I've seen them online but thought also that they were tooo expensive.
I do wobbly heads with the two cotterpins for my PUDDLES.
You need pins with 'wide eyes' for it tobe effective.
Wendy

Board footer