Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

wigglesbears Wigglesbears

Hi there

l would be most grateful if peeps could say how they store their mohair, l have a pile of mohair in a corner in my workroom and it is ever growing larger by the day !!!!!! and l cant just leave it lying on the floor so l am on the look out for storage ideas and hope some of you can come up with some!

take care

wiggles xxx bear_wub

Swan Valley Bears Swan Valley Bears
Penn Valley, CA

I had my dad build this rack for me.  It's just two wood frames with wooden dowels across (like a ladder), hinged at the top.   

a_fur_rack_sm.jpg

wigglesbears Wigglesbears

Thats a very clever idea!

Laurie Laurie Lou Bears
Norfolk

I keep all my mohair in plastic containers with lids on to keep the mohair clean.I always roll my mohair too so that there are no creases in my fur whilst it is being stored.You can buy plastic tubs in many shops and they are inexpensive too.
Laurie :hug:

bearhug07 Strange Bears
Sydney

I bought a campers wardrobe........one of those steel frames with a canvas cover.......it keeps it dust free and I can see all that I have. After 20 years of bear making I seem to have accumulated more fur than I have made bears!!! In the bottom of the wardrobe I have a box for large scraps and if I want to make a two toned bear or an inset muzzle I scrabble through this box.

I once tried those big plastic storage bins but found them too much of a nuisance because the pieces down the bottom were always the ones I needed to look at again and then it would all get twisted and bent up as I pulled the piece out and then I would have to pull it all out and fold it neatly and it still didn't work when I tried rolling them up, Plus the pile always looked crushed and .......well...........it just didn't work for me.

Laurie Laurie Lou Bears
Norfolk

The plastic tubs that I use are not that large and only hold around 12 fat quarters of mohair depending on the thickness of the pile.I have seen tubs a lot larger than mine but I didn't buy them for the reason you stated Sandra-every piece you wants is always at the bottom and you make such a mess trying to get the mohair out.You must have a lot of mohair to store it in a wardrobe Sandra  bear_whistle
Laurie :hug:

tuppies teddies Tuppies Teddies
Lindenow, Central Gippsland

I have my mohair stored in a blanket box.  The same problem occurs for me when I am searching, the mohair does a crocodile roll and then I end up unpacking it and repacking.  The upside is, is gets me all enthused again when I find a piece of mohair that I forgot I had.
There has to be a positive side to everything...

Gail Bear With Me Enterprises
Website

I have a portable clothes rack and all my pieces of mohair are on hangers held there by clothespins so I can readily see what I have ( which of course is way too much !!!)
Hugs
Gail :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

elle Ellifolks
Eastern Ma.
Website

mohairrolled.jpgI have my mohair rolled up on a deep shelf in my studio closet.  I still have to sometimes move things around and search underneath as they are stacked on top of each other, but they are easy to put back if I am careful to keep them rolled.  (I neglected to roll back one on top last time.  bear_original )

Hugs,

Ellen

Board footer