Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

Has anyone got any idea what the kind of fabric used for top-hats is called, the old fashioned textured type of hat. I am looking for something with a laid pile, with a nice sheen, but textured. I don't want mohair as it's not for a bear. I thought it might be called panne velvet, but I think I'm a mile off the scent...If anyone has any ideas ..I need a smooth velvetty fabric that has a sheen...but not velvet because I need the pile to lie in one direction..

I have been trawling the internet with no clue...and I just thought one of you might be brighter than me on the fabric front!!

I know what I want but can't think what it's called!!

Thanks

Jenny

MerBear MerBear Originals
Brockville, Ontario

Top Hat
Wool, felt, or all felt, flat topped, very formal hat usually accompanied with a matching cane.

I found this doing a google search for top hat fabric. Cdn't you use stiffened wool felt?

Marion

warwickshire uk
Website

Hi Marion...No, I have wool felt...the kind of thing I am looking for is a shiny fabric...that has a flat laid pile...I can picture it in my head but don't know what it's called. I think some vintage rayons are like this so I am searching...but silk panne velvet maybe what I am searching for, after saying it's not what I want. It's so hard when you didn't pay attention in needlework at school!!

Thanks for helping!!

Jenny

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Can you do an online search?
Even come up with a picture for us?

gotobedbears Posts: 3,177

Hi Jenny,
I know that old top hats were often made of beaver but obviously unless you want to go catch em and skin em (yuk) beaver is'nt an option. I would recommend searching for millinary supplies as i know that new top hats are made from silk (the silky shiney to hats) or a rather strange type of long pile wool felt which i think is the stuff you are thinking of.

I'd love to know what you are thinking of making - but then again i'm a nosy old bag

:rolleyes:

Penny

warwickshire uk
Website

AAAAAAH, eureka!! I think you're right Penny....you're a marvel .. It is long pile felt..I know it's not the ordinary kind. That type is shiny...I thought there might be a special name for it.

I've tried millinery suppliers ...I will ring one up tomorrow and ask....

I'll try to find a photo....

Thanks

Jenny

Here's a link Jenny - hope it helps  :thumbsup:

http://www.pateyhats.com/_htm/rthat.htm

Penny

warwickshire uk
Website

It seems it's called fur felt...or hatters plush...but I won't get that. I'll have to keep looking till I find something similar..before I go mad as a hatter!!

Thanks Penny,

Jenny...( whoops, there's a rhyme!!)

Dilu Posts: 8,574

If you are going to make your own how about mimiking beaver with a shiny black 1/8th in long something like Rayon?  Sassy's has stuff that looks like it would mimic what I remember toip hats looking like  the panne velvet would be good to, You would want to be careful steaming a a good stabilizer on the back without flattening the fabric.....this doesn't sound to doable does it....

I don't have a velvet board- I use bath towels...and don't sent the iron
down on the fabric itself but zap with lots of steam.....and finger press while
the fabric is still hott.....also would you be using something like timtex for your form?  if so I would recommend making the timtex form first and then using it for your measurements and making your rayon or velvet to fit over and of course under and inside.....it sounds like an exciting project.

Check out sassys fabrics and also e-bay for the super short pile rayon or plush.....tim tex is expensive but you wont need much I'm sure....

Golly I sure would love to see this hat when you get it done and have you tell us how you did it.

:hug:

dilu

Dilu Posts: 8,574

I think CRscrafts sells top hats- but I think they are steamed felt or plastic.....but perhaps that would make a good form for you to cover?

Hmmm

bear_tongue

warwickshire uk
Website

Ah ...but it's not for a hat!!! It's for ears!!

Thanks for all your help!!!

Jenny

I KNEW IT! i just knew you were'nt making a top hat Jenny  :dance:

When do we get to see the finished results?

I look forward to it - good luck  :thumbsup:

Penny

Board footer