Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

kimboycethomas Posts: 25

Anyone have ideas for whisker material?  I am doing some light colored bunnies and would like a white or clear colored whisker. Also, how would you suggest inserting it into the muzzle?

Thanks for your thoughts!

Kim T

Goldelocs Bears Goldelocs Bears
Brisbane

Hi,
I generaly use linen thread for my whiskers and put a sink knot to hold it in place in the muzzle. However I have heard of people using horse hair and fishing line but I have no experince using these perhaps someone else can offer some help.

ursaminor Posts: 52

Fishing line gives you a firmer whisker, and has more of a natural feel. It's pretty much always clear though. bear_original You can also use those fiber-optic plastic bristles that come on the cheap light up novelty toys. As for insertion, I've heard of a few methods. One is to use a hot glue gun, melt the end of the fishing line/plastic bristle and stick it right onto the fur. The other is to just draw each whisker through the muzzle and use fabric glue on the inside of the head to keep them from shifting around - that way you get even whiskers as well.

karenaus Melbourne
Website

I've done some bunnies and cats lately and done the whiskers with horse hair. just thread it onto a big needle and zig-zag it inside the snout to anchor it. Works like a charm! bear_original  Only problem you might have is finding someone with a horse with the right colour tail to snip some from;)

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Kim, Horse tail hair works great and is what I use.  It looks and feels very natural....but watch out if you have any cats around as they will chew them off.   bear_angry

Good luck. bear_wub

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

Hi Kim,

I use horse hair too, but no glue. I take one long strand on a long needle, push it through the muzzle to the other side, push it back to the first side through (almost) the same hole, then push it to the second side again and remove the needle.

This way I have one whisker on each side. It's time consuming, but needs no glue, and the whiskers are very firmly anchored.

As your muzzle fills up with whiskers, you need to be careful not to let them get tangled!

Michelle Helen Chaska, Minnesota

For mini's, I use the clear sewing thread. For larger bears, I use the fishig line as some others have states.

Mutz Mutz's Tootsz Bears & Buds
New Berlin, Wisconsin

I use horse hair too. Also use the zig zag method for inserting.
TTFN
Amy

Gijzette Elfin Bears
Mount Dora FL
Website

I just found something to use for whiskers when I couldn't get any horsehair. Michaels sells artificial sinew in white. I separated a strand into smaller pieces, just like I would for thread jointing and sewed that in for the whiskers. They looked very natural looking.

Hugs,

customteddys Custom Teddys
Juneau, Alaska

When I was 15 years old we moved to Alaska from ND. My friend, Bob, gave me a small bundle of horse hair as a going away present! I finally found a use for it... whiskers!! And, the funny thing is, since I save everything, I still have the horse hair!!   (that was in 1967) (do the math) bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin  Thanks! Vicki

fredbear Fred-i-Bear
Johannesburg
Website

Looks like I must ask my daughter in law for some horse hair- mm hubby is allergic to horses, maybe I can be mean and evil and he will wonder why he is sneezing all the time bear_whistle  bear_whistle

millie PottersHouse Bears
Ohio

I have used fishing line for whiskers, but on the horse hair subject:  You may want to try the hair from the mane also and see which you prefer.  The mane has a different texture than the tail.  Probably the only drawback is that it is also going to be a bit shorter.  I will have to give it a try myself.  I'm sure Duke or Buttercup won't mind donating a few hairs.

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_original Definitely, Millie!

I've used both, and found the mane hair finer but more brittle. Tail hair is also cheaper, and fine enough on the ends for minis. Both benefit from a bit of conditioning.

Board footer