Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

lemmonbears Lemmon Bears
Oregon Coast

Here's what I'm wondering about... bear_rolleyes

I have been working for a friend in her gift/floral shop.  We've talked about me doing a teddy shop in her gift shop, kinda of a business within a business.  I've put in some of my bears but I am thinking of going bigger...
We have talked about doing a stuff a bear section, with the clothes etc (less expensive plush).  I am also thinking of artist bear supplies or patterns or kits that I would make up. My other friend that has done bear shows with me doesn't think that the less expensive retail plush should be with the collector artist bears... I'm thinking they are two different markets and can work together.  This is a small town, near the Oregon Coast and we get travelers in the summer, but I would like something for locals too.  What do you all think about plush vs. collector bears??? and the market out there....

Thanks for your thoughts on this subject bear_original

Joan

Melbear Melbear's Quality Collectibles
Spruce Grove, Alberta
Website

I've only been to a handful of artist bear shops and they usually have a few higher quaility mfg. bears as well. Like the artist collections.. not even sure if they make them anymore.. Cottage Collectibles by Ganz, boyds, Barton's Creek.. I would buy them if I found one that I bonded with.. not often as I collected artist bears. But not everyone can afford a nice artist bear.. but still want to buy something. bear_original

Hugs,
Melanie

FenBeary Folk FenBeary Folk
Pointon Fen, Lincolnshire, UK

I collect Steiff and would love this year to start to buy artist bears, when I started to collect a few years ago, my daughter just drooled like crazy.

So we bought her a Charlie bear membership, she now collect those, they retail anywhere from £20 to £100 for the limited, at the bottom end of the price range they are perfect for pocket money savers. They do both plush and mohair........................I suppose I am trying to say, a young collector or a new collector has to start somewhere and that price range is affordable.

These collectors are the future artist bear collectors, little acorns n all that. Something like Charlie Bears would be go really well  bear_thumb

danceswithteddybears Dances With Teddy Bears
Pacific Northwest

Joan, interesting question.  And I think pertinent to the times.
I agree with Melanie, that selling higher quality, Collector Edition, manufactured bears alongside artist made bears, would be okay.  Especially since you live in a touristy area.
I've been thinking along similar lines.  About adding a teddy bear section to my antiques store; with bears, bear supplies, etc.  My shop is not full of high-end, out-of-reach antiques.  It's more of a mish-mash.  This too is a small town, with a tourist season, I sell whatever works.   Which right now isn't much.
So much has changed in the marketplace.  I guess we just have to ..go with the flow.
I'm anxious to read other's opinions regarding Joan's question.
    :hug:

Aleta - The Silly Bear The Silly Bear
Portland, Oregon
Website

Hi Joan,  bear_flower
I know nothing about the plush bear market.  I have, however, seen oodles and oodles of little kids carrying Build-A-Bear boxes out of the mall the few times I've been there.  Obviously a market is there. 

I like your idea of making kits available to the locals.  It's a great way to introduce people to the art of the bear.  I don't know that it would work for garnering the tourists though....you'd have to supply scissors and thread in your kits as well.  Or, at the very least, carry a small supply of those as well.

I remember going on holiday to the coast and the weather turned absolutely miserable.  We scoured the town looking for some sort of creative shop so I could buy something to work on.  It was just too cold and awful to walk along or enjoy the beach.  I would have been delighted to find a shop with some sort of kit to work on.  Any kind of kit would have been enjoyable.     

My suggestion would be to really look at what market you are trying to attract.  Kids or adults?  Take it from an expert on scattering energies.....pick a focus and try to stay within bounds.

Best of luck and bushels of good wishes, :hug:
Aleta

EvaJ EJ's Crafts
Fort Mohave, Arizona

I have been designing and making lower end plush bears for 30 years and yes they do sell well.  I don't have anything that sells for more that $55.  I get all kinds of people buying them from collectors or people who want something for their kids or grandkids.  Most people like to see a well made bear and can't always afford the true collector bear and this is what I supply.    With the economy the way it is now, I think you would do well with added some lower end bears along with the artist bears.  The kits are a good idea too.  The build-a-bear does big business where they are in malls.  We live in a small town and the two people I know who tried the build-a-bear here both went out of business because that did not sell here but then we are not in a tourist area.  All I can say is try a small area of the plush and give it 6 to 9 months and see if it works.

lemmonbears Lemmon Bears
Oregon Coast

Thanks everyone for your input!

I am thinking about something similar to build a bear for kids.  The stuffing machines are $$, so hand stuffing.  I think the dressing is the fun part anyway.  My friend was thinking of adding a coffee/tea shop business, so we could have birthday partys with bears.... so I guess kids were the market. 

Then, I would also like to have artist bears, then for the do-it-yourselfer some supplies...

I am so confused.... bear_wacko  bear_wacko

Joan

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

There is a shop in my corner of the country that sells high end artist bears AND quality, affordable kids plush... because it's a small town and if her offerings are too limited she won't sell enough to sustain her business. It's hard (expensive) for small businesses to 'cater to the masses' by offering a little of everything. It's a balancing act.  Think of the image you want to present... do you want to be known as the lady with the gorgeous, expensive handmade bears that everyone admires but fewer can afford or do you want to be known as a place just for kids or do you want to have a little of both? The latter would bring in the most people resulting in higher sales potential.

Is there room enough to conduct small classes or have 'demonstration day'? You could invite the public in to see how a bear is made which would in turn boost kit sales and really get folks interested. Perhaps have an artist signing to draw serious collectors in and a tea party or in shop picinic for kids.

I'm sorry... the promoter in me just can't keep her mouth shut!! I worked retail (gift shop) sales in a tourist area for 10 years. And I organize an all artist bear show in a tourist area at the height of tourist season. I'm lucky to have quite a collector base that attends that show as it wouldn't make it on the tourists alone! Most tourists don't know about 'artist bears' and suffer sticker shock. They are looking for affordable souvenirs or gifts to bring back home ro something to entertain their kids... not financial investments. (Yes, our bears are more than just a financial investment but you know what I mean, I hope!) I think the exception would be if you lived in a tourist area that was in a well to-do or artsy town where people expect handmade collectibles with the price tag to match.

Experiment.... eventually you'll find what works in your situation...... listen to your customers..... sounds like a fun adventure!!! Good luck!

lemmonbears Lemmon Bears
Oregon Coast

I know it's hard for a small business, in a small town to make it.  The gift shop did okay this Christmas, but we did notice the smaller less expensive items were the big sellers.  We put in a crafters section with local crafters and it did okay too, but again it was smaller less expensive items.  So I'm thinking the 'make a bear' business, with different clothes may be more affordable for this market.  Then have my bears for the collector market, which seems to smaller...
Something for both kids and collectors.....one stop bear shopping bear_grin
Supplies....
Fabric.....
Then what about dolls.....
  (I am trying to focus Aleta bear_grin )

Yes, we are hoping to have room for classes, or parties..  The town has events, we are on main street and they have events, ie. an antique street fair, Hometown Country Christmas, etc.  We could do specials for events.  I think marketing would be the key. 

I appreciate any ideas for promotions, especially right now with the crazy economic situation.....

Thanks again everyone for your thoughts on this. bear_flower

Joan

Board footer