Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

momanimallover Taber, Alberta

IMG_0285.JPGhello bear_original  Dakota is getting spayed on Monday along with dew claws removed and hip/joints xrays [just to make sure she's in top shape] Does anyone that has a female notice any difference in their behaviour after? Maybe more calm?? bear_whistle  Here's a pic of her day before yesterday. She's such a ham bear_grin

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Brenda, I know you are hoping she will calm down a bit after she is spayed!!!! I've worked in a vet's office long enough to hear the doctor's response to this question more than once. Typically spaying does not change a female dog's temperment. It may prevent her from possibly becoming aggressive or experiencing 'mood swings' in the future (which can happen when a dog goes into heat) but you aren't likely to see a change from her current temperment. She'll still be a ham!! Sorry!  :hug:

Thanks Daphne bear_original  Her being a ham is fine bear_grin  It's the jumping that drives me nuts! and everytime she does it I tie her up for a time out for a few minutes. She's a little better after that for a bit......... and she still nips our hands and she's 7 months already, all I have to say is NO BITING or I'll tie you up, and then she stops but the jumping!!! and a 73 lbs puppy jump is no fun bear_ermm

Little Bear Guy Little Bear Guy
Waterloo, Ontario

Brenda I would recommend puppy class.  We took our oldest dog to puppy class and we will take our new puppy to puppy class as well.  Even though both are small dogs I wanted them to obey and listen to me, an untrained dog is a dangerous dog as they don't learn how to be kept under control.  I didn't take my dog through all the grades of obedience class but she went to kindergarten and grade 1 and grade 2.  Again they are small dogs but with a big dog they can really do some damage if they aren't trained.    She's a beautiful dog and in time she will settle down, our female never slowed down any after she was spayed  bear_grin .  I hope her surgery goes well, but maybe look into getting her into some training, it's great for getting them socialized with other dogs and they actually enjoy the classes. 

big hugs

Shane

Bubble-Up Bears Bubble Up Bears!
Murrieta, California

Hi Brenda,
How old is she? Is she a Burmese Mountain Dog? She sure is beautiful!!
I was a dog trainer for many years before I retired do to my health. I have to say spaying will not really help much. Other than keeping her from having puppies. If she is young, age will calm her more than anything but you need to get some good training. These dogs want nothing more than to please you but you have to show then how. She is a wonderful dog and really she wants nothing more than to be your best friend.
bear_original

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

Training will be the best thing for Dakota. Have you ever seen the Dog Whisperer on TV? That guy is amazing, he shows how dogs thought to be untrainable are just wonderful animals needing help. Find a good class for Dakota and I'm sure she will do very well. She is a beautiful dog and will love to be in a class and I feel sure learn to behave as you want her too. Good Luck!

Hugs, Jane.  bear_flower  bear_flower

Thank you all for your input bear_original

Cyndee - She is a Bernese and she'll be 7 months old tomorrow

She has been socialized alot and loves people and and other dogs [eccept the little dogs don't seem to like her, I think it's because she's too big and overwhelming when she wants to play] She's extremely happy when she pleases me but sometimes when I want her to do something she looks at me totally confused so I have to find a way for her to understand. Classes will be great for her, she loves socializing and doing things bear_original I have seen Dog Whisperer and LOVE his techniques! What good book does he have to learn?

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

Hi Brenda,

She's beautiful!!!  You can see she's a ham in her eyes... :O)   My friend, Kathy, current has EIGHT of these beautiful puppies about 2-1/2 weeks old (born on XMAS eve).  I keep telling myself I DON'T NEED ONE...they grow up to be monsters dogs (in size).

She's just lovely.

Hugs,
Shantell

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Brenda, you've brought up her behavior issues before and were looking for help and I think most of us suggested proper training. No matter how many books you read or videos you watch you really need to have some hands on training with an experienced trainer who can identify YOUR specific needs, trouble shoot where you are going wrong and teach you, in person and fur, the right way to train Dakota. Waiting for her to be spayed, to turn 3 (or 5 or 8) to mature and 'settle down' isn't the answer. Waiting any longer to get professional training is going to make the task that much harder.

When you threaten to tie her up and she seems to understand and behave... it's likely your tone she takes as a warning, not your words. Using a time out effectively would have stopped the bad behavior by now. There are many very effective ways to stop the jumping... time out is not one I've ever heard any trainer use for this problem. The bad behavior needs to be immediately corrected and she needs to be taught the right behavior; ie she should SIT when she wants attention, not jump so correct the jump (a professional will show you the most effective way to do this) then put her in the desired behavior - a sit. Please get some professional help before she jumps on a small child or elderly person and causes injury and a law suit. Or the nipping turns to biting and you have to put her down.

I should add that her behaviour is NEVER aggressive but playful and annoying more than anything. She listens to me the most but I have 2 other people living here and they don't enforce my rules and I think she get confused.
It's really hard to find a good trainer where I live and they only come to my town at certain times of the year and in the beginning of having her she was a very young pup so alot of it was just being a puppy but is it still at 7 months old? As far as I know I have to wait til Spring for any trainers are available in my specific area so in the meantime I figure asking tips and reading as much as I can will help.
Thank you to all of you who have given me good advice bear_original I am determined to make her a great canine citizen bear_thumb

Linda Benson Bears
Tasmania

Brenda, Dakota is looking beautiful!  bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub We had Lily spayed last year before we went overseas, she slowed down for about 24 hours. That was the affects of anesthesia!  bear_grin  bear_grin We were told to keep her quiet for a few days......... yeah right. All I can say is, no it didn't calm her down, but just lately she seems to be getting the hang of things........or more likely we have. We've decided that she only responds to very calm correction, shout and she shouts back!!! As a result of our new approach she is happier and so are we, but everyone has to co-operate and you all have to be consistent! Mixed messages are very confusing for dogs as they are with children. Oh and by the way, big dogs have very long puppyhoods, at 18 months she'll be starting to mature. Good Luck and give her a huge hug from me, I wish I could give it to her myself, I'd love to run my hands through her beautiful coat!

Angela Angela's Bear Garden
St. Catharines, Ontario

Beautiful dog! I totally agree with the need to train your dog. The sooner the better! There is a book called the dog listener...it has some really good insight into dog behaviour and the need to establish the alpha role. My local library had it, maybe yours does too. There are many training methods out there, but the only ones that really work are ones that establish the owner/handler as alpha. When your dog sees you as leader of the pack, obedience comes easy. So really it's not the dog being trained, but the owner! bear_laugh

FrizzyBear New York

What a beautiful dog.  That face is amazing. 

I agree that she needs training.  She needs to learn who the 'alpha dog' is and not treat you like a litter mate.  bear_whistle   The Dog Whisperer is fantastic.   Lots of good advice here!

Thank you ladies bear_original  Actually she'a quite aware that i'm Alpha but... the other 2 in the household don't correct her ALWAYS like I tell them to and she thinks their her litter mates. My partner likes to lay on the floor and let her play with him and I absolutely do not do that and I keep telling him not to and that she thinks of him as her equal or beneath her but no listen!! It's very frustrating when I'm the only one that corrects the unwanted behaviour at all times and they aren't on the same page as me bear_ermm Maybe I should kick them both out and train her all by myself bear_grin She's never a mean pup but gets very jumpy happy. Sometimes she forgets herself with me in her hoppy happy moods and I correct her right away bear_thumb

Melbear Melbear's Quality Collectibles
Spruce Grove, Alberta
Website

We had a dog trainer help us for 20 mins with our Rotti who kept jumping and knocking, well me, since I'm not that big, over. Trainers know some awesome tricks! I'm sure they would have some suggestions. Some big dogs have such high energy and they don't know how big they really are! She is a beautiful dog btw... I just want to give her a big doggie hug.
hugs,
Melanie

Thanks Melanie bear_original I think I might look into finding someone if I can in Lethbridge which is 40 min. away from where I live and see if a trainer would be willing to come here into my home. I imagine it would be quite expensive but so worth as I want to start earlier rather than later. I just dropped her off tonight for her spaying in the morning and hope everything goes ok :pray: The vet tech said that bigger puppies when their so full of energy and jumpy that their more prone to hernias. I'll have to try my best to keep her calmer after.

ScaliWagGrrs ScaliWagGrrs
Denver, Colorado
Website

It is very frustrating when you have others in your household not be consistent or to not even try to correct a dog when they need to be corrected. Makes training that much more difficult. Though dogs are quite smart at figuring out who is a pushover and who isn't. It would be great if you can get a trainer to come to your home. Make sure that everyone in the household is there for the lessons. Dog training is actually more about training the humans than the dog. In the mean time,
one method at getting them to not jump is to immediatly turn your back to the dog when they try to jump on you. Do not touch the dog as this is what they want. Even if you push them off you that touch is rewarding them. Tell them in a calm voice--no yelling--to sit. Once they do sit you can then pet them. This method teaches the dog that he is not going to get any attention unless he behaves properly. Hopefully your dog already knows the sit command. If not, teach it!! Have your dog sit before she gets anything--- meals, a toy, a treat, petting, to be let out, etc.  Make sure she sits until released too. I use the word Okay to release mine. Have her sit, if she jumps up too soon, tell her " No, sit".  Make sure you always say NO sit, and not just sit, sit, sit. Otherwise she may think she doesn't have to sit until you have said it three or four times.
Always remember to be calm, patient and consistent!!
Your girl is a real beauty! Bernese Mtn dogs are wonderful sweet dogs. Hope these suggestions help!
Beth

Murrieta, California

Thanks Brenda for letting me know. :)
I thought she might be a Bernese as oppose to the Burmese because her head looks wider than Burmese. Beautiful dog!! I always wanted one. Trained a few but I never had the opportunity to own one. They are really easy to train as they are very smart as I'm sure you know but because of their size they can be a handful! You are very lucky to have her.  bear_wub
You had asked about books. I believe Cesar has a 4 DVD set out right now with an accompanying book. From what I have seen it looks pretty good. I went to school and got my degree in Animal Behavior with Cesar's mentor. That's why I like him. He's not about what will make him the most money but what is best for the dog. He understands their true behavior by understand what they are. Good Man!
Hugs,
Cyndee

everything you gals are telling me is wonderful bear_original yes I love how Cesar Milan trains! He's so calm and cool and I envy anyone that can be a dog trainer, it must be so rewarding. Dakota has known the sit command since we brought her home so someone must have taught her that and she sits on command very well bear_thumb Before we give her any bone or treat she has to sit and then she automatically shakes each paw and lays down bear_laugh so I know she's a smart pup and does love to please. I was quite proud of her this afternoon when I came back from the store and before I was at the gate she was jumping and I said DOWN before I entered and NO JUMPING and she actually listened! so I told her what a good girl :clap:  :clap: just like a proud mama bear_grin

Murrieta, California

Good job!!
Be sure to post lots of pictures of her.  bear_grin  She is very beautiful and I want to live vicariously through you!!  :crackup:

I will post more pics soon Cyndee bear_original I usually have the camera on hand cause she's always doing something silly and even just watching her stand outside on the snow drifts with her head held high and oh so confident makes a beautiful picture bear_happy

Murrieta, California

I can't wait to see!!!!  bear_original

Jellybelly Bears Jellybelly Bears
Australia

tehe, Linda, thats how our girl jack russels acted, try and keep them quiet after major surgery lol 
Sorry Brenda, I didn't know you had this post, I wrote on your other one, but there is a lot of great advice, have you seen the show "Its me or the dog?" lol, she's got lots of great tips :)
all I can add is ours all calmed down as they got older, they just have sooo much energy when they are pups...I would have loved to take them to agility.  Well, the "big fix" worked on our boys, but not so much on the girls, and until reading this I thought it was just coz they were jack russles lol

Linda Benson Bears
Tasmania

IMG_2007---Copy.JPGHere's a pic of Lily the day after her op. bear_wub  bear_wub She had her dew claws removed aswell, and I had to make little oilskin bootees for her to keep her wounds dry. They looked very cute and made a very cute noise when she trotted around. You can tell there was no slowing her down, there she is with a ball and ready to play!!! Today she's flat out on the couch, it's our first "hot" day this Summer.  bear_original  bear_original  bear_original

AWW she does looks so sweet Linda! How inventive of you to make her little oilskin booties! bear_thumb  and Sarah, i've seen Jack russels and how hyper I thought they where! and border collies! okay, now I'm thinking it's all puppies in general, just the bigger ones make bigger jumps etc... bear_happy

Board footer