Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

yard4.jpgyard1.jpgyard5.jpgyard3.jpgyard2.jpgWell, last year the Toronto area had the most snow since the 1930's and this year we have more snow than at this time last year!  I really like winter, but this is getting a little much.  Apparently with global warming, we will be getting MORE snow, not LESS, as we live on Lake Ontario and since it is no longer freezing, the cold air is free to pick up the moisture of the water and we get dumped with snow.  Go figure!  Here are a few pics of our yard, some taken last evening and today.  Note one positive thing in the sunny picture - NO SQUIRREL TRACKS - YIPPEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  They must be holed up in their nests - they make such a mess of the yard with peanut shells and pinecone seeds.  I'd love to figure out which neighbour is feeding them peanuts - I'd dump all the shells in their yard.  bear_angry

hugs,

Brenda

TamiL Dolls N Dreams
Aurora, Colorado

Oh burrrrrrrrrrrrrrr that looks cold!!! I dont' miss that stuff, we are having lovely weather here in colorado...63 here today and has been warm the last few days...but we are suppose to see some more snow this weekend!!!
Stay warm, that is good bear making weather!  bear_original

Melbear Melbear's Quality Collectibles
Spruce Grove, Alberta
Website

Hey looks like here.. heehee. Are those my Black Squirrels?
Drive safe!
Hugs,
Melanie

Hi Mel,
     You mean the black rats with the bushy tales  bear_angry - YES!!!   At least the grey ones are pretty, but I'll ship you a hundred or so, if you like bear_grin  Nasty little suckers!

hugs,

Brenda

Densteds Densteds
Website

global warming Brenda :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:

Denise,  Yep, isn't that a hoot LOL!

hugs,

Brenda

Carolyn Green Draffin Bears
Auckland New Zealand
Website

Oh it looks so pretty Brenda but must be so cold and  you must have had enough by now.

Stay warm and have fun making bears.

Hugs
Carolyn
bear_flower

FrizzyBear New York

We are nearly in the same 'neck of the woods' and I can tell you we look a lot like you do except we have rabbit tracks all over the place.   bear_rolleyes   Our weather is majorly effected by Lake Ontario as well  and like you, I'm very ready to see some daffodils and tulips instead of white! 

Stay warm!  :hug:

Hi Jeanne,
      Where are you in New York?  We also have rabbits here - one lives under the cedar hedge at the edge of our property, but haven't seen it since the weather got really cold.  At the moment, I'd like to flash freeze Lake Ontario LOL!    We have to take some of the snow off the banks of our driveway, as it's impossible to see if anything is coming when you back out.  I'd settle for a few daffodils right now. bear_original

hugs,

Brenda

MerBear MerBear Originals
Brockville, Ontario

snowdoor.jpgWe haven't had quite that much snow - but enough is enough. Here is a pic from 1971 - it's the front door of my cousin's home after the big storm of '71 in Montreal!
Now that's SNOW!!!

tuppies teddies Tuppies Teddies
Lindenow, Central Gippsland

It is unreal, the snow that you are all getting.

Here in Aussie land it has been in the high 30's (celsious) for the past 3 days.

Global warming!!! I think it is just our normal hot summer...

Marion,
     Now that's snow LOL!  We were living in Ottawa in 1971 and we sure got lots of snow.  I'm surprised we have more than you do in Brockville.  You guys are more in the snow belt than we are AND Brockville is on the Ottawa River.  The first winter we were here, there was hardly any snow - I'd settle for a winter like that every few years.  My daughter's outdoor cat just looks at us like we are crazy, when we open the door for him.  He's adjusted very nicely to snoozing in the sun all day,  on the back of the couch - he's waiting for spring, too!

hugs,

Aleta - The Silly Bear The Silly Bear
Portland, Oregon
Website

Spring is coming, Brenda!!  I noticed a neighbors daffodils have leaves shooting up about two inches out of the ground.  I'm afraid they may get dusted with snow though.  They're saying we could get more snow on Sunday.  Bummer.  Global warming...global cooling...El Nina...El Nino....whatever!!  Snow, snow, go away....don't you dare come back this way!!

Warmest bear hugs,  :hug:
Aleta

MerBear MerBear Originals
Brockville, Ontario

Brenda, we've had a couple or three biggish storms but nothing too serious. I've not been stuck at home because of the snow so far this season. Actually most of this winter I've been able to wear just winter slip-ons instead of full boots, although I do drive to work, not public transportation and such. I do remember when we first moved to this area in 1985 we had a couple of really bad winters with high snowbanks but haven't been hit that hard lately.

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Am I going to get snowballs thrown at me if I say temperature here was in the 70s (F) yesterday and will hit 80 F today?

Oh Sue Ann, how lovely THAT would be!!!!  Just one day of warmer weather would make me feel much better.  Enjoy the warmth!!!!!!!

hugs,

Brenda

DENBY30 DENBY BEARS
EDISON, NEW JERSEY

bear_wub  :crackup: Brenda, I must confess, those peanut shells must be from me, I live in New Jersey, with a minimal amount of snow, but yes I do feed my squirrels the peanuts, and I never see the shells here so they must be going to your house.
LOL  Spring is not far away.

Pat,
     That is funny :lol:, but I bet you would be stunned at the mess the shells make.  Honestly, we spend a lot of time raking up the shells in the summer, and we aren't the only ones frustrated - I wish our neighbours would feed them shelled peanuts!  We also find whole ones everywhere - in the ground and garden, in the barbecue, in potted plants,in our garden lights!!!  It is really annoying because there are sooooo many squirrels around here - it's nothing to look out and see up to 5 squirrels in our yard at any given time.  They also chase the birds out of their nests and we've quit putting up bird feeders because of them. They actually come up to the patio window and chatter at the cats, as if to say "na na na Na na"!  I've come close to letting my cats out when they are around.  I'm used to the noisy little red ones from when we lived up north, but I don't like the big black and gray ones - they are definitely over populated in this area. 

hugs,

Brenda

FrizzyBear New York

Brenda, we're right in the center of the state to the east of Lake Ontario.

MerBear, you scared me into thinking that was snow from THIS year.   bear_shocked Wow.  A little hard to find the morning paper with that one.  :crackup:

I had to laugh a little about the peanut shells.  Every spring when we clean up our flower beds we find little trees growing..........chestnut trees.  We must have a tree around here and the squirrels are busy in the fall planting them for winter.  they sent their little flags out each spring as a reminder of those they forgot about.

puca bears puca bears

Reading about the peanut shells............my problem is that I put extra food out for the wild birds when we have snow - including scattering seed for the ground feeders. As it gets snowed under I keep putting out more.....and when the snow finally melts - what a MESS!
But oh - the photo of snow piled up against the door - thankfully it never gets that bad here!
huggies
Maria

DENBY30 DENBY BEARS
EDISON, NEW JERSEY

bear_wub Wow, I can not believe the mess you must have.  The squirrels here either eat them or mostly hide them, I too have about 7 squirrels, then they trial off until new ones are born in the spring.  I love the little devils, but they do not make the mess you describe.  My brother in law shoots them with a bb gun so they do not take the food he puts out for the birds.  Only he is not allowed to do that when I visit LOL.  We only have grey squirrels here in New Jersey, and I did have the flying squirrels for about two years and they moved on.  They were cute little babies.  Sorry about all the snow and the squirrels, take care and have a great weekend.
hugs Pat

Hi Pat,
     I loooooove the flying squirrels - we had those up north.  One year my cat caught a baby and I was heart-broken.  Apparently, she sat under the tree, watching the mother teach the babies how to glide and she eventually got one.  Once I realized what she was doing, I kept her in for a couple of weeks until the babies were gone, as they are reasonably rare now.  She was a very disgruntled cat!
      We have a lot more than seven squirrels in our neighbourhood - we could have that many in our yard at one time - they are all over the place.  We have made our cats "indoor" cats here, as there are lots of un-neutered strays and also coyotes neaby, but I'm seriously thinking of changing my mind or borrowing next door's dog a few times a week, to make them nervous about coming into the yard.  I want to put my bird feeders back up. 

hugs,

Brenda

Board footer