Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

Jaina Emo Bears
Dudley, West Mids

Hi all,

I've checked the library but can't find any info on this.

I've tried a couple of methods of securing the pins - 'crown' style and just rolling them down. I can't consistently get tight joints though - they nearly always end up looser than I would like.

Does anyone have any tips on how I can get my joints tighter please?

Thank you , Julia bear_innocent

Off The Paw Artist Bears by Lesley
East Neuk

HI Julia, I usually only cotter pin the head and nut and bolt joint the arms and legs, nut and bolt joints are really easy to get nice and tight and the lock nut ones wont loosen over time, hope this helps x

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Hi Julia,

When I use cotter pins I just try to use brut force to turn/curl down the ends to get a tight joint.  I use a cotter key wrench and if that isn't enough I use pliers to tighten them further.  ...or go and get hubby to tighten them bear_wub .   One of these methods works beautifully.  I like my joints tight.

Hope this helps. bear_thumb

Jaina Emo Bears
Dudley, West Mids

Thanks everyone.

I do use a cotter key now and try to squeeze tighter with pliers - Guess i've got to just put more welly into it. I think i might switch to nut and bolt in the future - But I have piles of cotter ones here to use up.

Linda Benson Bears
Tasmania

Hi Julia
I always make a crown joint when I use pins, I think it makes a better spring against the washer. I give the joint a good workout after I've turned it, working it back and forth vigorously and then go in and tighten the pin down some more with a stout pair of long nosed pliers.
Turning a cotter pin is all in the wrist action, using one hand to really hold the pieces tightly together, so that you have as much of the pin there to grab hold of, before you start turning the joint. It's definitely a knack and it may pay to do some practice ones that aren't inside a bear so you can really see what's going on!  bear_original

ScaliWagGrrs ScaliWagGrrs
Denver, Colorado
Website

I have just started using nut and bolts for arms and legs and boy are they soooo much easier to get tight! I highly recommend them.  I still use cotter pins for the head so if you do the same you can still use all your cotter pins for head joints. Unfortunatly I don't have any tips for getting them tighter--I have the same problem. bear_sad
Beth

Melisa Nichols Melisa's Bears
Hazelton, BC
Website

When I use cotter pin joints I also crank down really hard on them.  If I'm using thick or long fur, I also trim the fur where the joint will be - that seems to help in getting a tighter joint.   bear_original

wazzabears Wazza Bears Australia
Bulli

I mainly use T pins. They are like cotter pins but with a flat head. i have used them for years and i only use pliers. I cant stand jointing with nuts and bolts. i have a major problem with them and then have to get Warren to do it for me and then its too tight sometime. Hence why i stick with T pins.

FrizzyBear New York

Thank you for this topic.  Being new at this and working on my 3rd animal....a bunny! after making two tiny bears, this is very interesting to me. 

I find I want to use different sized disks for different parts of the body.  Wish someone would sell a big bunch of these in different sizes so I could have a nice supply. 

Right now I need to go get a larger pair of pliers.  The cotter pin turner I got the the little bears are too small!    bear_grin

Sheryl D'Ath Bells Stuff
Ruakaka, Northland

when using cotter pins(which is what I use) I find that cutting the pin shorter makes a tighter turn. A really good growl at the same time as turning helps as well!!!! usually gives my dogs a fright and they run off outside looking for the reason they woke. They sleep in the lazy-boy when I'm sewing and this way I know the get a bit of excersize. bear_tongue

FrizzyBear New York

Sheryl, thank you for the good laugh!  I actually laughed out loud when reading your 'growl' response.  And isn't that just like a dog?  I could actually visualize!  I love it.    bear_smile

Jaina Emo Bears
Dudley, West Mids

:crackup:  That's great Sheryl.

I must admit, the bear I have jointed since has come out much tighter - and i did make a bit of a noise when trying to tug it down tighter, so I know exactly what you mean. I had arm ache the next day  :redface:

Sheryl D'Ath Bells Stuff
Ruakaka, Northland

Just another idea that may help!
I bought larger metal washers slightly smaller than the nylon or wooden disc which I use on the joint where you twist the cotter-pin down. It is easier to tighten the pin if it slides across the metal. I ordered them from a tool supply shop . They can get them with a small hole in the centre if you ask.  Much cheaper than buying from a bear supplies and I haven't seen them anywhere else anyway. Also it gives some nice weight to the bear along with the pellets or glass beads I add for weight.They are quite thick.
Deffinitly cut back the fur where the joint will go as it will flatten and loosed the limb.

Sheryl D'Ath Bells Stuff
Ruakaka, Northland

I'm not sure I explain myself very well! I use nylon or wooden discs plus the larger metal washers

Board footer