Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

Bear Hearts Bear Hearts
Las Vegas, Nevada

Hi there!

I'm looking for any and all locline advice.  I'm going to give it a try but am so confussed as to how it is all configured.  I see the y connectors and I'm guessing that is where the neck and arms would connect and the t connector would probably be for the legs.  Are the elbow connectors for the elbow of the bear?  Also what are the cotter pins in locline used for?  Something about connecting the locline to the cotter pin....?  As you can see I'm way confussed.  Is there any information or pictures on how to assemble locline in your bear.  I would love some help here.  I'm also looking for a reasonable price on the supplies.  Once I find out how to assemble all this I will definitely take pictures of everything to show others. 

I can't wait for some feedback so I can get started!!

:hug:

Thank You!
~Robert

Linda Benson Bears
Tasmania

Hi Robert
I've only just started using locline, not as a whole armature but like a spine through the body of a couple of big bears, which has been really cool because you can give the body more action.I've combined it with wires in the arms and legs in the usual manner which works really well. All I did was use epoxy glue into the cup of the locline and shoved it onto the head of the joint bolt, then stuffed the body around the spine. This was in a bear with a double neck joint so you end up with some really good movement. So I can't really help you with the connector thingies, there's a bit of a tutorial by Judi in the library on how to get locline to work with cotter pins. I'm sure there are people out there who know alot more than I do. Hugs Linda  bear_original

Donna Donna's Duin Bruins
Burbank, CA

Hi Robert,
I will try to help.  It has been years since I used the connectors.  The Y connector is for the legs.  Turn it upside down.  The T connector is for the shoulders.  It connects the head, arms and the body.  You would need to make an unjointed bear to use the connectors.  There used to be directions on Edinburgh Imports website for doing loc-line.  Basically how I do it is to make a regular bear with the jointed arms and legs.  I drill or burn a hole through the waist of the loc-line segment.  Put the loc-line in the arms and legs and put the cotter pin or set screw through the hole I drilled in the loc-line, put my disc in and joint it to the body.  I hope that makes sense.  I'll go look and see if I can find a tutorial on it for you.
Donna

Burbank, CA

I'm back after a quick check.  There is a direction page on Edinburgh's website.  Look in the Artist Tips and Techniques section.  Also check the library here on TT.  Look under armature.  Judi posted pictures of how she does her loc-line.  Pictures are worth 1,000 words.
I have the blue loc-line for sale both in the 1/4" and 1/2" sizes.  I have had bad results with the white armature for dolls.  I have broken it every time I have used it.  Also if you use pellets or glass or steel shot in your bears you will want to stuff the end with some stuffing or put something over the end so that the pellets don't get up into the loc-line and rattle.  Also some people are put off by the sound that the loc-line makes when you move it.
Donna

Bear Hearts Bear Hearts
Las Vegas, Nevada

Thank you ladies very much!  It sounds like I need to just order the parts and give it a try.  I'm kind of weary about using cotter pins.  I'm never pleased with the tightness.  So it seems possible that I could use the regular screw and bolt set with the locline.  I'm off to find the tutorial!
Thank you for letting me know that the locline makes a crazy noise when you move it.  At least I know what to expect.   bear_original

I'll let you know how it works out bear_original

~Robert

Bear Hearts Bear Hearts
Las Vegas, Nevada

Thank you both again!

I visit the edinburgh website all the time and I've never seen that section.  There are some really good techniques there and diagrams.  Here is the link in case anyone else reads this post and was as confussed as I was.  :)
http://www.edinburghimports.com/articles.asp
~Robert

Tracy ThimbleBeary Originals
Iowa
Website

I can't give any advice not already given as I've not figured it out myself yet, but I wanted to say that I totally commiserate with you on the confusion, Robert! :hug: I've had some of the 1/2 inch stuff for awhile now, finally got brave enough to try it and thought to use it last month on a bear, but then couldn't find long enough set screws to use with it.  It seems Edinburgh's aren't long enough to go through the armature and also the joint discs and two lock nuts needed?  Looked in the hardware store.....found nothing.  I haven't searched online yet as I was too frustrated and just had to leave it for awhile.  Anyway, good luck with your locline adventure. bear_thumb   I would love to hear how it goes for you!

EvaJ EJ's Crafts
Fort Mohave, Arizona

Yes Robert, let us know how it goes.  I have had a set of locline in one of my supplie drawers for years and have never used it.  Maybe it time to give it a try.

Bear Hearts Bear Hearts
Las Vegas, Nevada

I haven't ordered the locline yet.  I'm going to order it probably in a week.  I will definitely let you know how it goes.  I'll make sure I can get all the correct parts before I order any of it.  I would hate to get everything and not be able to get a long enough screw thru!  bear_shocked

~Robert

Iowa
Website

Hey Robert, I was just visiting our local hardware store yesterday to order my bulk cotter pins, and happened to find another possible solution for the 'long enough' screw.  Instead of a set screw, it is a 2 inch long flat end screw with a philips head on it.  Also bought one of those angled screwdrivers to help set it.  I'll give it a go and let you know how it works for me as well........this might be an option if you also can't find the proper set screw size.

Burbank, CA

Hi,
I usually only use the 1/4" loc-line.  I have not had any problem with the set screws being long enough for that size.  I can't remember if I get the #6 or #7.  I have not used the 1/2" loc-line.  I don't do much over 16" and the 1/4 works fine for that size bear or critter. 
If you will give me a day or two to play with the 1/2" loc-line I will figure out what you all will need.  Are you all thinking you will use the drill or burn through method for jointing or will you put the cotter pin or set screw into the inside of the loc-line?
Donna

Iowa
Website

Hey Donna bear_original   I was planning to use the burn through method....maybe it was intended to use cotter pins with this?  I believe some did come with my locline, come to think of it.  I prefer something that joints tighter than cotter pins for this application though, hence trying to use the set screws with lock nuts.  I think the set screws I bought were probably meant for the 1/4 inch locline......I went back and did not see a longer set screw for the 1/2 inch size.  Anyway, the screws I found yesterday might work....I'll have to just try them to see.  If you can figure something out for those of us 'locline challenged', I for one will be most grateful! :hug:

Bear Hearts Bear Hearts
Las Vegas, Nevada

Hi,

Yes, I think I also want to use the locknut set.  I like the tighter joints as well.  I think the diagrams in the tutotial on the edinburg site are good, but as Tracy mentioned, I want to make sure I can find long enough screws.  I haven't really looked into this yet.  Sometimes I feel like I'm going in a million directions. ;)
p.s. Tracy, I've should have the eyes for my bear later this week. I'll let you know when they are here so I can mail them out to you :)

~Robert

Iowa
Website

Sometimes I feel like I'm going in a million directions.

Me too! bear_wacko   bear_happy

You know, in my quest to find the proper size set screw, I've talked to people in two local hardware stores, and also in Menard's, and haven't found anyone who could help me find what I need.  I looked online, and that was confusing as ever as it appears that hardware/fasteners are described there in a language that I totally do not understand.  Suffice it to say that I didn't get very far online on my own......I need a translator! :doh:  One thing that I did figure out though was that the long screws you get in plant hanger kits would be about right for what I wanted to do.  Can't seem to find anything like them anywhere else though, and I really don't want to have a ton of extra plants hooks laying around.....not sure if I can get lock nuts to fit either.  It's all enough to make a person crazy! bear_wacko  bear_grin It is so frustrating when only such a small thing is standing in the way of using this armature like I've wanted to do.  I hope the longer screws with the philips head I found will work.  I'll try to mess with it over the next day or two and see if it's workable.  Fingers crossed!!

p.s. Tracy, I've should have the eyes for my bear later this week. I'll let you know when they are here so I can mail them out to you

Sounds good! bear_thumb I can't wait to see them.  I'm really looking forward to placing an order myself soon.  It looks like I'll finally be able to sometime next week! :dance:

BrendaBears BrendaBears
Jackson, Wyoming
Website

Hi everyone!

I've been using all the different sizes of loc-line for years. I don't use the cotter pins with it but use the set screws as they create a much tighter joint. For the 1/2 inch loc-line, I use the 1 3/4" X 1/8" (#SS6) set screws from Edinburgh with the small lock nuts. I have used these in my 24" bears and haven't had any problem with them being too short although there isn't a lot of extra to work with either. If you're not comfortable with them, I have found at my local Ace Hardware some 12" threaded rods that actually look like really long set screws. I'm not sure what the technical name is for them. The tag on them reads 'Steel Works...All Thread-Plated...10-24-1Ft'. They're a tiny bit thicker than 1/8" but will work great. They can easily be cut to the size you want. I had purchased them before I found the set screws at Edinburgh.

Hope this helps.

BrendaBears BrendaBears
Jackson, Wyoming
Website

It's me again. I thought I'd do some looking online for the threaded rods I was telling about in my previous post. I found them right away and that's what they are called...threaded rods. Go figure!

Here's a link so you can get an idea what they are...
http://brands.hardwarestore.com/steelwo … spx?page=2

This is the one I purchased except in a shorter length from my hardware store...
http://hardware.hardwarestore.com/27-59 … 54278.aspx

Burbank, CA

Hi Robert,
I see that Brenda beat me to the punch with the SS6 set screws from Edinburgh working in the 1/2" loc-line.  Thank You Brenda.  One other point that I should make about the different loc-line sizes.  On the 1/4" loc-line the pliers work to connect and disconnect the loc-line links.  For the 1/2" loc-line the pliers only work to connect the links.  You have to pry the links apart as best you can on the 1/2".  I have my hubby do it.  He uses a screw driver and bends them.  Brenda can you please step in here and give more info as to how you get the 1/2" apart? 
Donna

Iowa
Website

Hi Donna  bear_flower I managed to get my 1/2 inch apart myself, but it was tough.  I just bent them until they popped apart.  Had to go so hard at it, I almost hit myself in the nose bear_grin .........

I just measured my set screws again, and the ones I have are 1 1/4 inch.  I can't remember why I ordered this size.......maybe I clicked on the wrong one, or were these the ones recommended?  Anyway, I think I was afraid the 1 3/4 wouldn't fit either, so didn't see those as an option, which is why I was looking for something longer.  But since Brenda says they do work, I will trust her.......thanks Brenda! :hug: If it is a tight fit, that's okay as I can work with that.  I am wondering if the thickness of the joint discs themselves makes a difference here as well?......maybe the ones I was trying to use are too thick and I need to use thinner ones?

Brenda, one more thought I just had.  How did you cut the threaded rods?  I am wondering, as my hubs tried to cut the heads off of some other screws for me, and this messed the threads up so that the nuts wouldn't go on.  Darren was wondering if he needs to use a certain type of saw to cut them more neatly.

BrendaBears BrendaBears
Jackson, Wyoming
Website

Hello everyone!

I'm glad you've found my post helpful. I need to add that when I use the #SS6 set screws with the 1/2" loc-line, I drill my hole on one side of the loc-line (it doesn't go all the way through). I add a small lock nut to one end of the set screw and insert the other end (the end without the nut on it) through the hole I drilled from inside of the loc-line. If you can picture this, the lock nut sets on the inside of the loc-line with the rest of the set screw poking out. There just isn't enough length to the #SS6 set screw to go all the way through the 1/2" loc-line and the joint discs too. Does this make sense?

For separating the 1/2" loc-line, I just grasp it tightly on either side of where I want it to break apart and bend or just bend it against itself. This has always worked for me unless my hands are too sore from working in which case my husband does it for me. I have been able to use the pliers to separate it but it's much harder than just bending it.

To cut the threaded rods I just used a Dremel rotary tool with a cut-off wheel (which is for cutting metal). My initial thought was to cut it with a hacksaw using a metal blade but the Dremel is much faster and gives a good clean cut....not to mention less elbow grease. bear_whistle

Iowa
Website

If you can picture this, the lock nut sets on the inside of the loc-line with the rest of the set screw poking out. There just isn't enough length to the #SS6 set screw to go all the way through the 1/2" loc-line and the joint discs too. Does this make sense?

Yes!!! :dance:  This totally makes sense.....thanks so much!! :hug:  :hug: I didn't think to try it this way.....of course I will still need to order the #SS6 set screws, so will do so ASAP.  I am anxious to use the locline.  Was really disappointed when I tried to use it and then couldn't.  Thanks Brenda!  It's clear to me now which way to go. bear_thumb

The Dremel tool tip is a keeper as well.  We do have the tool and metal cut-off wheel out in the garage.  Good option to have! bear_thumb

BrendaBears BrendaBears
Jackson, Wyoming
Website

You're welcome Tracy! I'm glad I could help.

I am looking forward to seeing your new creations using the loc-line armature. I have always felt that the armature gives my bears so much more personality because of the pose-ability it offers them....brings them to life so to speak.

Have fun creating! :hug:

Bear Hearts Bear Hearts
Las Vegas, Nevada

Thank you guys for all this help.  I will be ordering the lockline shortly and maybe after a bear or 2 I'll be ready to display what I've created.  Can't wait!

It seems like you ladies need your husbands to pry apart the locline.  My question is.....What is a small-framed man like myself to do?  I guess I need to go out and find myself a husband!!   :crackup:

~Robert

BrendaBears BrendaBears
Jackson, Wyoming
Website

I am looking forward to seeing posts of your creations as well Robert. I really don't think you will have any problem getting the loc-line apart. I'm very small-framed myself and generally don't need help. It's only when I've been working too long and hard that my hands get sore and won't cooperate with me. No need for you to race out and get a husband.:crackup:

Iowa
Website

You shouldn't need to run out and look for a husband, Robert, as I'm sure you can manage just fine! :crackup: The problem I have when doing things like taking apart stubborn locline is usually when my hands are over-used and sore as well.  I have carpal tunnel syndrome and that makes things difficult sometimes........plus I really think my grip is not as strong as it used to be.  bear_ermm  It is nice though to have the hubs around for things like this, as he is always happy to help.  Admittedly, I don't try too hard on most things anymore as it's easier to just take it to Darren bear_grin  But then there is the other side of things, like when he shuts a jar so tightly that only he can open it again!  bear_tongue

rkr4cds Creative Design Studio (RKR4CDS)
suburban Chicago

But then there is the other side of things, like when he shuts a jar so tightly that only he can open it again!

Do I ever hear you on that!! Especially as the ole joints become more achey!

And Tracy, I must remember to tell you now, 5 months later, that the "Sarah Who? shirts were a HUGE success! (Tracy's DH Darren's online business - custom Tshirts in larger sizes - I bought his last 6 Ms Palin adverts just before the Nov election, for use during this vacation in AZ, for our grand-dau's 17th)

We slipped them on at a meal after I sent Sarah to get something for me that "Grandma forgot..." The expression on her face as she came back into the room - and we were all carrying on as if nothing was different... (Ignore sister Michele's weird facial mask)

tt2a.jpg
Sarah's got my 2X shirt on

tt3.jpg
Michele (trying to escape from this picture...), DD Anne, SIL Frank, Sarah, Frank's Mom/other Grandma Lee, my DH - Grandpa Don

What Michele usually looks like -
tt1.jpg

Thx for doing a super great job of getting the shirts out to me - we had a great laugh about them - and Sarah passed them all on to mates of hers later that week.

Board footer