Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

Linda Benson Bears
Tasmania

I was wondering if anyone out there has used ball joints in their bears? I'd like to try them out to get more movement in my bears, I've seen them used in dolls but they are really visible. I'd like to use them but not have them showing if at all possible. Any pointers? Thanks  bear_original  bear_original  bear_original  bear_original

Cleathero Creations Cleathero Creations
Ripley, Queensland

I spose you would use them like armature, inside the bear so it would be hidden.  Other than that no idea sorry.

Laurie Brady Bears By Laurie Brady

A few years ago, I took an on line class to  made a ball jointed doll.  The technique involved a # of steps, but was really well thought out and worked! If I made only one doll, but I'm sure  - like with bear making, one could get quite efficient at it.   I have often thought of using the idea with mohair.  It would require some adaptations, but I'm confident that I could get it to work.
The class was taught by Judy Ward (an amazing on line instructor) and is for the "Bleuette" doll.  The class appears to be currently offered.  Here's the link; 

http://dollnetmarket.com/home.php

MerBear MerBear Originals
Brockville, Ontario

IMG_1758.JPGI had a similar thought last Fall and made this bear using bead joints, like some dolls have. His knees and elbows move quite well but I think the ball joints in Bluette would be better. Have to take that class sometime.

Marion

Linda Benson Bears
Tasmania

Thanks girls, I had a good think about it last night just before bed and figured a few things out. I've just got to try them out........when I've got some time to play, when ever that will be. Teaching workshops next weekend, Monday & Tuesday. Then a shows the following two weekends Aaaarrrrgh!!!! bear_wacko  Laruie, that link was interesting, the photos were good to see how the doll goes together, think I've got it sussed now  :)
Marion, have you got any other pics that show how your bear moves?

MerBear MerBear Originals
Brockville, Ontario

sorry...I don't have better pics. Will try to do so this week. I was going to do a tutorial on it for the WIKI but now it's gone bear_cry
Briefly tho, the upper limb has two hinges and you put a bead in the bottom limb and thread joint it in. The limb can then move freely anyway you want ,

Marion

Linda Benson Bears
Tasmania

Thanks Marion,
That's how I had it pictured, I think I've also sussed a joint for the head which will give great movement too  bear_original

K Pawz Guest

hahahahahah Great minds think alike! I have been working on designing a ball jointed puppy for the last month or so now!!! It is a challenge, but the same principles work as they would for a BJD!! We will all have to share when we are done!

hugs,
Krista

tindlebears Tindle Bears
Xenia, ohio

HI! I've been developing a realistic bruin since aug. of last year trying to figure out the whole ball socket joint thing.  I found a book by suzanna oroyan called designing the doll that shows many different jointing systems including the "buried bead ball joint"  It works great for knees, elbows, wrists and ankles.
I'm still working on the head...any ideas on how to make a neck joint that travels 360 in all directions?

Linda Benson Bears
Tasmania

It's all still in my head, I've got busy on other projects with deadlines so haven't had a chance to give it a go yet. Hopefully I will be able to do something soon, I've seen that book in my sister's doll book collection, I'll have to have another squiz at it when next I visit. I think I have the head joint sussed (in my mind anyway, don't know if it will work in practice), I'm just itching to have a go!

Cleathero Creations Cleathero Creations
Ripley, Queensland

can't wait to see.

Board footer