Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

Goldelocs Bears Goldelocs Bears
Brisbane

Hi,
Well I finally deicided to get the 222k dated about 1954 and brought it home yesterday. :dance:  I am so happy with it, I was up until 10pm last night playing with it  bear_grin It really is a lovely machine and so easy to use and so quiet so I have brought it to work with me today to keep practising.
I do have some more questions though. I bought some 100% polyester Mettler cottons but found that the thread broke couple of times while setting up and while sewing, can anyone suggest a better brand Gutterman perhaps? We looked for the cotton covered polyester as suggested but couldn't find any.
I also read on a Featherweight website that you can use clear wax boot polish to wax the machine to protect the paintwork does anyone have any advice about this?

Thanks again
Ann-Marie

eteddys eTeddys
Phoenix, AZ
Website

Hello,  Do you have Mettler threads where you live?  I think they are just as good as the Gutterman.  I use the Gutterman 100% polyester in my machine.  It's not a featherweight but it is an old 50's mid-sized singer.  I don't have any problems with the polyester thread at all.  You might want to adjust your tension a bit.  It should typically be on 4, or close to it.

Enjoy! 

Alison

rkr4cds Creative Design Studio (RKR4CDS)
suburban Chicago

I bought some 100% polyester Mettler cottons

I'm not sure I understand this - is it polyester or cotton?
I swear by Mettlers Metrosene Plus 100% polyester for hand and machine sewing. It's stronger and more tightly plied than is Gutermans.

We looked for the cotton covered polyester as suggested but couldn't find any.

I'm not sure where it was suggested; perhaps here on TT, tho I haven't been following the discussion. Please don't use cotton-covered polyester for sewing bears. The repetitive sewing we do abrades the softer cotton coating and it shears away; your thread will break more often with this product too as only the poly core will be left in the needle....

I also read on a Featherweight website that you can use clear wax boot polish to wax the machine to protect the paintwork does anyone have any advice about this?

My DS has 2 Featherwts; she has always been told that unless one lives in a quite damp climate/environment, where metal is prone to rust, a coating like this isn't necessary. A VERY light coating applied once cannot hurt but I wouldn't think it would ne needed. Many of us have vintage machines and the surfaces are holding up fine without any additional protections applied, except dusting and wiping clean with a barely dampened cloth if you spill something on it..

Jare Hares & Bears Jare Hares & Bears
Polo, IL

I would agree with Bobbi about the wax.  I have a Dressmaker from the 50s and it doesn't have any wax or polish.  The finish is holding up great.  I wouldn't worry about waxing it.

It could be that you have your tenison set too high.  You might need to adjust the tenison on the bobbin as well, but only do that in about 1/16 or 1/8 turns of the screw on the bobbin holder.

Enjoy sewing with it.

Laurie Brady Bears By Laurie Brady

Reading the comments on thread, has me wondering now -

Are most people using a regular weight thread to sew bears? 

I have been using gutterman upholstery weight for machine and hand sewing the bears (which has so far worked well on my Featherweight and 1953 Elna).  The gutterman is 100% polyester.  I don't think I've seen an upholstery thread with any cotton in it.
Laurie

Goldelocs Bears Goldelocs Bears
Brisbane

Hi,
Thankyou for all of your comments, My dad helped me with the tension and is working beatifully now. Sorry about the confusion when I mentioned 100% polyester cotton, I meant to say thread  :doh:  I found some Mettler extra-strong 100% polyester thread and which is a little heavier than most threads I have seen around and appears to be doing a great job  :thumbsup:
Thanks again  bear_original
Ann-Marie

Board footer