Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

Cleathero Creations Cleathero Creations
Ripley, Queensland

Maybe.
I have been finding it hard to make bears.  My DDs as soon as I sit down to make wish to make as well but then they need so much help (11, 8, 5 & 4) that I lost the urge to create as I wasn't concentrating on mine.  I work as well (love my worK but not much time for bears).
Anyway Oddly enough it is the imminent arrival of No 5 that has had my DH concerned about my lack of creativity and has decided I deserve a studio!
Now it may not be much but I am really thrilled at the idea.  The other thing is that I may be able to sneak off without having all 4 girls descend on me demanding they make as well.

Now in the mean time (as it may never eventuate lol) I need some advice.  I work full time and I also have to drive to work as I drive between clents.  I am up early in the morning 5am to leave by 6am.  I am not a morning person.
The afternoons are busy with children, housework, cooking and general life.

So how do you juggle family and bears?  I have a supportive hubby and he works long hours as well and he helps round the house.  It is mainly when I do get a bit of time the girls want me helping them.
What do you do?
any suggestions?
And yes i am a glutton for punishment going for No 5 butI will get time then to make.  LOL

eteddys eTeddys
Phoenix, AZ
Website

Goodness, you do have your hands full.  Congrats on #5!  I think it's great.  My kids are older now and I have recently quit my "real" job.  So, I do have a bit more free time to make bears.   When the kids were smaller, I would usually work in the evenings after they went to bed.  My husband would clean the dinner dishes and I would get to start working.  I bet with your own studio, you will be able to work on bears more.  Because you won't have to always be putting away things out of the kids' reach, then getting them back out.  With your own space, you can just close the door and leave everything there, waiting for when you have a chance to return to it.  Good luck to you!

Hugs,
Alison

Jare Hares & Bears Jare Hares & Bears
Polo, IL

Right now with the "real" job and school it can be hard to get bears made.  I am also a computer tech for a friend.  Her computer went down twice last week and I spent several hours on both days fixing things and answering questions.  I also recently increased my "real" job work days from 2 to 3 because we needed the help at work.  I figured I could fit in the extra day, due to the fact that we aren't doing any shows this spring.  The schedule is packed, but sometimes I just stop working on everything else and work on bears.  Good Luck!  bear_thumb  bear_original  bear_thumb

NIKKEL Nikkel Bears
Orient Point, NSW

Good grief Bronwen - what a busy life you have!  And #5 on the way (congrats by the way!)  :hug:  :hug:

I also work full time, but both of my girls are now grown and only one is still at home so I don't have little ones running around anymore (unless a regular visit from our 1 1/2 year old granddaughter counts!).  However, there is still dinner to make, washing and housework to be done, groceries to be bought etc. etc. etc. + travelling time to and from work.  As a department manager, I sometimes need to bring work home as well, so I can sympathise with you.

You still however, need to somehow find 'me' time to do something YOU want to do (ie: bear making) - even if it's only for 30mins per day.  If you can afford it, why not get someone to help with your ironing?  My eldest daughter works part time, and now comes in to clean for me one day per week - it gives her a little more money to save for special things other than bills, and it's a godsend for me (especially the extra fun we get from having them stay for dinner).  You could also get your daughters to help out with chores - set/clear the table, bring in washing, take out rubbish etc/ make bed etc.) which might free you up a bit as well.

Only small suggestions - I hope they help.

Hugs
Marg  bear_original

wigglesbears Wigglesbears

WOW you do have your hands full. l only have a 3 1/2 year old and thought l had trouble! l tend to make my bears in the evenings when hes gone to bed, its my 'me' time as l call it, sometimes l do get to do some during the morning when hes at nursery, hes only there 2 1/2hrs though, so tend to get household chores done then! He starts full time in september so l am hoping to spend more time on my bears.

Melisa Nichols Melisa's Bears
Hazelton, BC
Website

:hug: Congrats from me too!  :clap:   Both on #5 and on getting a studio of your own!  :clap:  I have 3 children (10, 8 and 5) and home school all of them.  But my creating is also my only "job" - I can hardly call it a job as I enjoy it so much.  But it is my only income, so pretty much whenever I sit down, I'm also creating.  Even while teaching my children, I often can find time to work on a project.  That is part of the reason I only hand sew - I can do it quietly anywhere.  In our home, we all have certain chores to do - it certainly makes things easier when everyone works together!  I've also had to get more strict about my children sewing with me... they love to do it, but I find it's the same as you - I don't get much done myself.  Now, they just have certain times that they do it with me - although they are welcome to work on their own or with my hubby's help - he's great at helping them with threading needles and tying knots when they need help with it.  bear_thumb

Angela Angela's Bear Garden
St. Catharines, Ontario

Congrats on your 5th sweetie! You get a studio! nice! :clap: You have a lot going on! I have 3 kids I've raised by myself (deadbeat dad). They are now 20, 15 and 12. They are still demanding lots of my time, but it's more "can you drive us here...can you take us shopping...can we have friends over"...etc. bear_rolleyes I'm glad they love spending time with me! It was harder when they were small. You take one day at a time. Enjoy them as much as you can now, they grow up sooooo fast, I can hardly believe that my son will be 21 this year bear_shocked
I'm not much of a morning person either, but you have to adjust for the kids. If I want to accomplish anything bear related in my day, I need to write my goals down the evening before or the morning of and schedule time for it. I get distracted easy by all of the creative things I want to do bear_whistle , so I need to focus. Writing it down gives me a visual 'to do' and I get back on task easier. I have to do the same for the kids so they do their chores :crackup:
We all love to create...never a dull moment around here!

Cleathero Creations Cleathero Creations
Ripley, Queensland

Thanks for the help guys.
I get frustrated when I can't create and then feel guilty when I try and get some me time.
Setting down times for family crafting sounds like a good idea.  Evenings are hard as DH likes "our" time as well.  Sometimes when he sleeps early I can get suff done but others well  bear_whistle
I love my family and the bears will have to take the second spot for a while and just work round it when I can.

Board footer