Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

FrizzyBear New York

Hi, I was wondering if there is any rule (or tips) on the direction the fur must be going on the gusset piece?  I'm using mohair with a med-length and it has a bit of a curl or bend in it intermittently.  Thanks all.

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

There are no rules for fur direction on the gusset, Jeanne.  I think most artists position that pattern piece so that the fur goes back because that's the natural direction on a real bear.  I've been bear-making for 12 - 13 years and from the very start placed the gusset with the fur going down toward the muzzle.  All of my bears have bangs (or fringe) and is just a part of my style.  Others have done this also, so it's a matter of preference.

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

Jeanne, I also give my critters 'bangs'. I play with the pile direction with the heads as well. I will give them parts with a gusset cut in half and the pile direction going to  the sides. Mohawk with pile direction to meet at the centre seam.
I have also cut up the gusset so the front pile goes back and the backhead pile comes front. It causes a mane like effect around the face.
With a curly mohair you have a huge choice of  new styles awaiting you. GO FOR IT!
Wendy

bear_thumb

FrizzyBear New York

Thank you both!  I appreciate it very much.  One of these days I'll get some photos of those I've finished.  :photo:

Board footer