Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

bearhug07 Strange Bears
Sydney

Front-claw-A.JPGOn a recent trip to Sydney Taronga Zoo I realised that when our male Kodiak Bear died three years ago the zoo had him skinned and tanned.

I was quite upset at first but on talking to the keepers I was told that they felt that many people would be interested in touching a real bear and feeling the softness of the fur and also seeing the claws etc up close. I must admit that the skin was drawing a lot of attention and questions.

So I took these photos of the claws as I must admit that I did not realise how different they were from front to back

Front Foot

Front_claw_b.JPG

Front_claw_A.JPG

Back Foot

BAck_foot_2.JPG

Back_foot_1.JPG

Hope no-one is too upset

Bubble-Up Bears Bubble Up Bears!
Murrieta, California

Very interesting.
I'm surprised they didn't have him taxidermied instead of skinned and tanned. I would think that would be easier for people to except.
Do you? bear_original
Thank you for sharing. bear_original

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

Awww, that's so sad, I can understand what they are trying to do here, but I still feel sad to see this poor bear on exhibition in such a way, bury the poor guy. Sorry, but photos of a live bear would have made me feel OK, a dead, skinned and tanned animal on exhibition I find somewhat distasteful. I'm sure others here will not feel the way I do, but I am a big softy.

Hugs, Jane.  bear_cry

bearhug07 Strange Bears
Sydney

Hi Jane

As I said I was also upset but I talked to the keepers who were there. Barny died from old age quite peacefully and was really very old for a bear. He shared his enclosure with 2 females who actually gave him a really hard time and eventually they were sperated.

The decision to maintain his pelt was taken due to the fact they was so much interst in the bears and questions as to what they feel like, how dense the fur, how big the paw pads etc from the public.

Barny is helping to educate the public in Australia about bears and there is a box with the skin for the public to make donations which is dedicated to help with rescuing bears from Asia, when the his pelt is on show. The jkeepers told me that it raises substantial funds as people become quite upset about the plight of the bears as they connect more strongly with them.

After hearing this I felt much better about their decison and much less judgmental.

Carolynn Teenytinyteddybears

I think it is interesting that they kept him for people to see and feel, educational yes.  Although I don't like dead animals of any description. I just think it is creepy. But if it helps to educate people and raise funds for a good cause without doing any harm to an animal then good on them. I personally would not be too keen on touching a dead animal. (Says she, who wears leather shoes.) But thank you for the post on the claws, that was very interesting.

puca bears puca bears

Really interesting, Sandra.........tho I'd be a bit squeamish especially if I'd ever seen the bear when he was alive.
Funny - I guess I'd expected sharp pointy claws?!?  I saw a huge Kodiak at Duisburg Zoo last year - could have stood there all day, totally mesmerised. I couldn't get over his fabulous coat..... considering the amount of time I spend brushing our dog, who always looks a scruff.......there's this handsome chap with an immaculate coat, and i can't imagine he's ever been approached with a brush. Having said that I DID have this loony wish, that i could go and give him a big cuddle............silly me!
thanks for posting the pics
huggies
Maria

Board footer