Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

Just Us Bears Just Us Bears
Australia

Does anyone have any experience with dyeing Alpaca? I have been searching for the perfect grey to make a realistic koala from but greys are almost impossible to find..and certainly are in Australia. I did a search on Intercal and found the absolute most perfectest alpaca...in a variegated grey...just exactly what I needed. And I was ready to by two metres of the stuff and then I see the little post scribe "This fabric is no longer available" WAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!! Sue Ann...you will be very familiar with this Alpaca..there was an adorable picture of a cat called Pixie made by you from this stuff. Oh I am so upset...just when I find the perfect fur...I can't have it! SOOOO....can I dye white Alpaca?? Anyone??:(

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

There's one way to find out! :D

Seriously though... I've been meaning to try and haven't had the time yet... maybe try dyeing a small piece first?

millie PottersHouse Bears
Ohio

Hayley,

I am sitting here looking at a panda that I made from alpaca a couple of years ago.  I used a regular laundry dye (Rit) and treated it just as I do mohair.  The color I used was a tan color but you may be able to find a grey dye (Intercal has a huge selection of dye).  Also, I have 1/4 yard of what I believe is the grey alpaca you were looking for if you are interested.  I'm not sure what we would be looking at as far as shipping costs from the US.   If you are interested I will check it out.

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Yes, Hayley, I do know the fur you are "refurring" to!! bear_grin  I have a whole yard of it and would be willing to share it with you if you don't get the look you want by dyeing white alpaca.  Just let me know!  bear_original  bear_original

Australia

Hi Millie,
I am MORE than interested!!! BUT having said that..if you have it, you have it because you loved it too, and I would hate to 'steal' it from you. On the other hand, if you can live without it, I would love to by it from you!:lol:
You can email me privately at hayley@justusbears.com and I'll find the link again so we can see if it is the same alpaca. Intercal does have another grey, but it's more stringy looking and I need dense. (Sue Ann had made the sample bear for that too). Edinburgh has a grey called 'Smoke' that is a good colour, but it's only a bit over half an inch long. Maybe dyeing will give a reasonable result...but the thing I loved so much about 'that' alpaca is that it's variegated...which is more like real koala fur.
Hugs to you Millie!

Australia

Sue Ann...ditto what I said to Millie. I would just LOVE to have some of it, but I don't want to take it from anyone who has it because they want it. On the other hand, if you don't want all of it, I'd just love some of it. Even if dyeing works, I won't be able to get that wonderful variegated look this fur has.
Really, I'd like to get hold of as much as I can because I intend to make a whole series of koalas..if I can only get the good materials.
I have to tell you Sue Ann, your bears are just superb...and they all have that quality 'Past Time Bears' look..in fact I can pick one of your bears now without looking at the credits. Too cute!

Australia

Laura,
I have only ever tried dyeing Alpaca with a ntural vegetable dye (actually it was a lovely red plum juice left over from boiling plums!;)) I used vinegar as a fixative and it came out so brilliantly coloured...but then I rinsed it and it faded a little. Still nice...but I stored it away and when I got it out a few months later, it had faded to a murky pink and looked horrible!
Guess I'll have to try proper dyes.
I don't quite know what type of dye to use...I guess I'll have to take pot luck with the colours whilst experimenting.
Millie, you mentioned you used RIT dyes for your panda...has it faded at all? I found this info on a needle felting group I'm on...but because I haven't any experience at all with dyeing, I didn't know what to make of it. See pasted email below...

Not many subjects can bring me out of  deep lurk but this is one of them.

Rit dye - old or "new" - is a union ("all purpose") dye. It is a mixture of acid and direct dyes. The acid dye portion colors protein fibers like wool, mohair, silk. The direct dye portion colors cellulose fibers like cotton or linen.

What's the problem with that??? Well......

1. Unless you are dyeing a blend of protein and cellulose fibers only a portion of the dye will be used. The rest will go down the drain. Not very cost effective or environmentally responsible.

2. Direct dyes are incredibly inferior in terms of color, lightfastness and washfastness. It will definitely fade in the wash and in the light. The colors are generally very dull compared to fiber reactive dyes which are far superior for dyeing cellulose fiber.

3. The acid dye portion is not quite as bad in terms of wash and lightfastness. But fastness is still only moderately acceptable compared with other acid dyes. This is of particular concern if you are expect your work to hold up over time and it's critical if you are doing any wet felting. Much, much better choices would be Washfast Acid dyes or Lanaset dyes. If careful calculations are made, all of the dye you use will be taken up by your wool. None will go down the drain! Furthermore, the color will last much, much better.

Apparently, a lot of people think Rit is safer to use because you can but it in the grocery store. Please pardon me - but - that's pure hogwash! I won't bore you with details so if you want them email me privately. Suffice it to say that Rit dyes are (that bad word!) "chemical" dyes just like the other dyes I mentioned above. And just for the record, all dyeing (even natural dyeing) uses "chemicals".

This all probably doesn't matter all that much if you are doing "fun crafts" with the kids but if you are selling your work, I believe you have an obligation to your customers to use the best materials and methods you possibly can. Using Rit dye - new or old - does not fall into that category.

I have been a studio dyer for over 25 years and have also worked extensively with commercial dye houses so I have more than just a little experience.  I can't tell you how many sad stories I've heard about things people have purchased that were dyed with Rit. In addition to soft sculpture, I make wool clothing. A frequent question I get goes something like..."Will the colors run if I get caught in the rain?". I can answer "no" with complete confidence! Sure couldn't say that if the wool had been dyed with Rit.

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

Hayley, I'm willing to part with 1/2 yard of the alpaca . . . will that be enough to make your koala?

Australia

Oh Sue..you treasure you!:lol: I/2 yard would be wonderful but are you sure you can spare it?? I'm, not to good with my conversions but I THINK 1/2 yard is roughly 45cm...which depending on it's width, would probably get me two koalas!
Email me privately with how much you want for it...and I can either pay you cash or possible swap it for some of my own stash?
Oooh..I'm excited again now!:D:lol:

Australia

Millie,
Here is the link to that alpaca to compare it with what you have http://www.intercaltg.com/colors/finishALP12V.html
and it's worth a visit just to see Sue Ann's wonderful Cat!

Delartful Bears Delartful Bears
Australia

Oh, of course I had to be nosey and go and check out the material that Hayley so desperatly wants.

What beautiful mohair.  But my oh my, what a beautiful cat!  Throw in a little bit of ginger and make the mohair a little bluer and you have one of my cats that sadly passed away last year.

Beautiful work Sue Anne!

Winney Winneybears and Friends
White City, Oregon

Sue Ann..that cat is georgous...luv em....Winney

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

Hi Hayley!

I've been trying not to be on the computer much... but still stopping in to read at least SOME of the posts  :rolleyes:.  I wanted to comment on the RIT dye.  I know that your response on the RIT dye was a copy of someone else's opinion... but you had asked Millie if her panda dyed with RIT had faded at all...

I have several bears by a favorite local bear artist who uses RIT.  I've had them between 5-8 years... and NO, they have NOT faded bear_laugh  One of the benefits in my opinion of those dyes is that yes, because: "The acid dye portion colors protein fibers like wool, mohair, silk. The direct dye portion colors cellulose fibers like cotton or linen."... so BOTH the mohair AND the BACKING accept the dye.  (I know she was making this comment based on just dying wool for needlefelting... I just make "regular" bears now with mohair)

Just thought I'd chime in here cause I was able to answer a ? about if the RIT dyes last on mohair bears bear_original

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Hayley...

Are you planning to wash this bear?  If not why are you worried about fading?

I use Cushings, Bellweather carries it and I think Intercal does too.  I have not had problems with it.

I also use koolade- but there isn't a gray koolade, and if there were, well, who would drink it?  UGH!  :lol:

Cushings seems to work really well- it is an acid fast ( course for the koolade I add white viniger....so its acid fast too.

Alpaca is a natural fiber, like mohair- so why not.

Also I don't have anyone sitting in the western window being beaten down by the sun. 

In fact, except for the black mohair I use for golly hair, I think white is al I buy anymore.  Just because doing my own dying is one more step that makes the little guys mine.

I have never used Cushings black, so maybe it would work fine.  I don't know.

Now think of all the fun you are going to have trying new dyes and experimenting.  Neat huh?

I, for one of dozens, can hardly wait for you to make this little guy....wanta see wanta see....

go for it (just don't forget to share!):P

Dilu

millie PottersHouse Bears
Ohio

Hayley,

The panda that I made with alpaca has not faded at all.  I have also used the dye from Intercal and had great results.  I know you want a varigated look and that would be a little difficult to get.  However, I did a bear that I dyed with kool aid and got that look.  The bear is  Winter Bear so I was looking for a frosty appearance.  I used a blue kool aid and diluted it a bit more than usual.  The results were exactly what I wanted.  This was with mohair though not alpaca.   Here's a picture.
WinterBear03.jpg

Kirsten So. Cal.
Website

Is there a way to seal in the color? I know you can wash clothes with a little vinegar and that helps reduce fading, I wonder if that would work with fur?

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

Thanks, ladies, for your compliments on my kitty Pixie.  I modeled her after my Russian Blue cat, also named Pixie.  I'm REALLY sorry that the fur is no longer available.  As I think Kjeld with Intercal said, it was a fur that coats were made out of and I can see why . . . it's luscious!

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Add some vinegar to your koolade mix.....depending on much you do- I add about a quarter cup to do the furr for  one bear.  then after it is the color you want rinse really well in cold water.  The vinegar is your acid fixative.  ( I know it's too easy)  I love doing the koolade because I can get those whimsical colors that are hard to find. Also, perhaps this is sacralige, but I throw mine in the dryer on delicate.....it's already shrunk from the dying process.....

Millie I love the blue in your bear.....I haven't tried the blue koolade, but I have some, so it will be fun to try.  Also I throw my felt in too....I like the way it comes out as well.

Dilu

White City, Oregon

Thank's so much for the tip on adding 1/4 cup vinigar to the Koolaid dye bath!

Dilu...you are so funny . Gray Koolaid , hmmmm maybe it can be mixed? I know when I use any artists colors, acrylic, oils, water color you can get a muddy mess real fast by mixing a bunch of colors together.
I read that white is the " absence of color " and black is the presence of "all colors"....or " many colors".

So is you mix say, blue, red, green, purple, pink..what else is avaiable in Koolaid ...you should get a nice murky icky dark color ? but not gray...so add a bunch of water? Is this work a try ? I think I'd just go out and buy gray dye !
but...I am still curious....well, that's nothing new in fact that traite is more like me than most anything else...Winney

Laure Fool's Gold Bears
San Luis Obispo, CA

How 'bout adding orange?? bear_laugh

White City, Oregon

Yes orange too...how did I forget that? and yellow too ....let's get out the paints !...Winney

Board footer