Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

Mutz Mutz's Tootsz Bears & Buds
New Berlin, Wisconsin

P6092960.jpgP6092959.jpgP6092957.jpgP6092956.jpgHi All,
I was wondering what everyone else uses for their patterns.  I have had an abundance of file colored file forlders that I have used for mine. I tag each pattern & hang it on a metal shower hook. On the tag is the name of the bear or bud, the mohair, size eyes etc that I used, & the number of how many I have made of that pattern.  On the other side of the tag goes a thumbnail size picture ot the end product.  I keep them stored on racks in my workroom (some of the racks are at ceiling level). That way the patterns are easily acccessable & are out of the way.   

My free supply of colored file folders is gone now & I have been thinking I should look for something a little more durable to cut my patterns out of.  Anyone got any suggestions?

Thanks!
Amy

EvaJ EJ's Crafts
Fort Mohave, Arizona

Very neat idea.  I have all of mine in zip lock bags and then they are put in a file drawer.  I mark the ziplock bag with date of design and any other info that I would need.

FrizzyBear New York

What a great idea!  I have some of my doll clothes patterns cut out of similar materials but I never thought to group them together with the ring.  Very clever!!

kynthia Posts: 140

I love your idea of using colored file folders!  :clap: maybe u can try using colored foam pieces now? they are pretty durable too...

I juz keep mine in little transparent plastic bags now.  :redface: maybe i should start organizing them. haha!

teeeej Brisbane

I love using plastic template sheets for my patterns. They are very durable. They are good for when you need to transfer your pattern from paper as you can see right through it! No need to glue patterns to cardboard - and get glue everywhere like I always do. bear_wacko  I usually use zip lock bags to store my pattern pieces.

----
Therese

Linda Benson Bears
Tasmania

Amy, you're way too organised! I cut my patterns from what ever is hanging around and then store them in plastic bags. But they always end up all over the place, because, I've got to admit it, I'm just plain messy! I also mix and match a fair bit so they get messed up that way too  bear_rolleyes I don't think I'm going to change any time soon, after all these years, I'm used to spending hours uselessly looking for bits of pattern that have ended up in the wrong bag or down the back of the chair or chewed by the dog...........

Jaina Emo Bears
Dudley, West Mids

That's a great idea! You're so organised  bear_thumb  I'll have to agree with Linda tho - i'm a VERY messy person and mine are just lying about in plastic ziplock bags which I get free from work  bear_grin  I do have a file for patterns but it's rather full and contains patterns from other people, not my creations.

All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website
Linda wrote:

Amy, you're way too organised! I cut my patterns from what ever is hanging around and then store them in plastic bags. But they always end up all over the place, because, I've got to admit it, I'm just plain messy! I also mix and match a fair bit so they get messed up that way too  bear_rolleyes I don't think I'm going to change any time soon, after all these years, I'm used to spending hours uselessly looking for bits of pattern that have ended up in the wrong bag or down the back of the chair or chewed by the dog...........

Ditto, minus the dog!  bear_grin

Clarebear Fulrfun Bears
Alice Springs

I love the template plastic because apart from being durable it cuts out a step or two when tracing patterns.  I also use a skewer to mark joint placement and then I can play with the templates and a couple of brads to make sure that the joints will be in the right place.

Mutz Mutz's Tootsz Bears & Buds
New Berlin, Wisconsin

Well that is why I came up with this system.  I AM a messy person too! I find out that it is so easy just to use a hole punch & string them on the (cheap) shower curtain rings, just to keep all the pieces & parts together.  I keep the hole punch right next to my chair in my tools basket.

Ok... & where are you getting the template material? An office supply store?

artbyrjandreae artbyrjandreae
Johannesburg, California

That's a good idea about the file folders. I started using plastic placemats from the dollar store. They're cheap and durable.  I label them with masking tap The sharpie magic marker that I used just rubbed off.

Linda Benson Bears
Tasmania

Paula, you need to get yourself a dog!  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:
Termplate plastic is really good and I do use it for patterns that I'm going to be using over and over, you get it a quilt suppliers. bear_original

bearyfun732 Cutiepie Bears

i just draw mines out on backs of cereal boxes or something. i then outline it with marker, and the next time i want to use the patterns, i can just cut them out and forget about all those wrinkly edges i get from using a pattern once too many. bear_ermm

KJ Lyons KJ Lyons Design
Seattle, WA
Website

I use large envelopes. Most of my patterns are over 30 pieces and some pieces are very small, IT's confusing!! On the outside of the envelope I list all the joints, armature and wire measurements, eye/nose sizes, needle sculpture instructions and dye/color suggestions. I also write a lot of instructions on the individual pattern pieces. I've learned not to trust my memory bear_ermm
Karen

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Amy, can you come organize me??? LOL! The tag with the photo of the bear... and facts on the back... perfect! So clever you are!

I use card stock that I can put through my printer because often times I want to enlarge or reduce an existing pattern This way I can change size,  print it right out, cut and get started on my bear! The pattern pieces eventually end up in a folder and in a file drawer.... eventually.... maybe. I too am forever hunting for a missing piece, or finding a misfit piece or have dog teeth marks on them. I'm very careful to write on every piece so I know who it belongs to!

You can, or used to be able to, get template sheets at Edinburgh. Fabric and even some craft stores carry it. You might find it at Hobby Lobby.

I don't like template plastic. I have a hard time cutting it neatly (I have to have all the edges smooth and corners clean!). What am I doing wrong?

danceswithteddybears Dances With Teddy Bears
Pacific Northwest

I'm like Robin and use plastic placemats.  I'm a garage sale-a-holic.  bear_innocent  I find placemats for really cheap.  I look for ones that have a bit of roughness to them, not the seriously slippery kind.  Then I store the pattern pieces in zip lock bags which I write on.  I keep them all in a small size vintage suitcase.   I also use suitcases for storing teddy bear bits.  I have several stacked.  Makes a nice extra table/stand, as well.
:hug:

kim "a bear by kim"
merseyside

HOW FANTASTIC, YOURE SO ORGANISED, ALL MINE GET MADE OUT OF CEREAL BOXES, IT ANNOYS THE LIFE OUT OF MY HUBBY WHEN HE GOES FOR A BOWL OF CEREAL AND THEYRE ALL IN BAGS, BOXES MISSING bear_grin  bear_ermm
I DO TRY AND PUT MINE INTO LITTLE SARNIE BAGS BUT I DO CONFUSE MYSELF IF I EVER NEED TO USE AN OLDER PATTERN!

Carolynn Teenytinyteddybears

old xray plates work well. You can soak them in bleach to get the "picture" off. Kim that made me laugh. Could be worse, could sit down to his Wheaties with a teddy cut out of the box :crackup:  :crackup:

puca bears puca bears

Right there with you, Linda -even down to the dog! I always PROMISE myself that one day I'll go thru the mishmash of patterns, sort them, draw them out on something other then sketch pad paper, and label them..............yeah . right...............
I DO try to at least write the name of the bear on each pattern piece - and very quickly learned that "new bear" doesn't work! Plus - I can't read my own handwriting........you should see me at the supermarket, puzzling over my latest "list"
No wonder my heart sinks whenever I'm asked to remake an old design!
huggies
Maria

amber Honey Valley Bears
Toronto

I usually print my patterns out on paper, cut them out and then laminate them and then cut them again.  It makes the pieces very strong and last a long time.  I haven't had to have any of my pieces redone.  The idea of the shower hooks is a great one.  I think it is fanatasic.  Anyway back to the laminating. You can have this done at most local print shops.  Check on the price for letter size laminating and for 11 x 17 size.  You may find that there isn't a big difference in price.  I can usually get 11 x 17 done for $3-$4.

Hope this helps.

Board footer