Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

millie PottersHouse Bears
Ohio

I am working with a horse rescue sanctuary in our area to do some fundraising.  This is a non-profit organization, and they do such a wonderful work.  Two years ago, they came to my rescue.  At that time my daughter was very ill, and I had my hands full.  They took a draft horse that I had here and gave him a wonderful home.  That was such a help for me.  I did not want to let go of the horse, but I was just unable to deal with any more in my life.  Two weeks after they took the horse, my daughter passed away, so their help was very timely.  I would appreciate any ideas any of you may be able to share as far as fundraising projects.  I know that times are tough, but every little bit we can raise will help.  They are having a used tack sale this weekend, so hopefully that will go well.  I thank you in advance for any suggestions you may have.

eteddys eTeddys
Phoenix, AZ
Website

Millie,
My family volunteers at a horse rescue here in Arizona.  We have helped with some fund raising.  Last year we raised $1100 selling apple pie and apple butter with apples from our trees.  If you have fruit trees, this is a great way to use the fruit and raise money.  We made about 50 large pies, 50 mini pies and 10 gal. of apple butter.  Guess what, the trees are loaded with apples again this year! 

The rescue does Petco events!  If you have a Petco in your area, see if they will help out.  Before Christmas this year, they helped with the pictures of pets with Santa.  They received a portion of the money from the picture sales.  My kids and I picked and preserved mistletoe and had a table outside the Petco while pictures were going on inside.  We didn't set a price for the mistletoe, just asked for any donation.  I think we brought in $150 that day in addition to the money raised from the pictures.  At some Petco events, they bring a portable coral and bring a couple of horses.  They get a lot of donations on those days.  They also go to local horse shows and have an information table and donation jar.

You make teddy bears, how about raffling off a bear?  Or, you can auction a bear on eBay on bahalf of the organization.  If they are a non-profit you just have to get a letter from them, scan it in and have it included in your auction.  You can run a legit charity auction in this manner.  That is unless they have changed the rules!  You'll have to read up on eBay charity auctions. 

Hopefully, this will get your thinking about some things and you may come up with other ideas.  If I think of anything else, I will let you know.  Hey, how about some baked goods at the tack sale???  Better yet, bake some horse treats.  If people are buying tack, they have horses.  You can find recipes for horse treats on-line! 

Good luck and thanks for helping the horses!

Hugs,
Alison

Us Bears Pennsylvania
eteddys wrote:

You make teddy bears, how about raffling off a bear?

How about an old fashioned looking Bear like your "Clancy"?
Give him a riding hat and a little crop.
He'd be cute as all heck!  :)

How about giving him a dressage outfit?

Have a special tag printed up for him.  Make a special certificate of authenticity which says that the Bear was specially made to raise funds for the horse rescue.

(People who donate money to charities deserve to be fussed over just a little bit.  bear_happy )

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

You can make horses too.... you could auction a horse on eBay. Perhaps the rescue sanctuary has a newsletter or email list and they'd include info about your horse auction in their next mailing/emailing? Or you could make a small series of horses and make them available on your website, on their own special page, to benefit the sanctuary and the sanctuary could include that info... no time restraints like with an auction.

I love the idea of horse treats... you could sell these on that same page with your horses on your website or try selling them on Etsy. There are many baked goods for sale on Etsy. Selling the treats at the tack sale is a great idea too though it's very short notice!

You could have a yard sale of your own and donate a portion of the sales. Perhaps have other supporters of the sanctuary get together and have a yard sale/flea market at the sanctuary.

Perhaps the sanctuary could use some volunteer help? The gift of time and labor is invaluable! Maybe get some other folks together too and make it an annual event in memory of your daughter? Do a project at the sancturay.... build a new shed, paint a building, clean a barn, etc.

What about a donation drive.... have a drop off location and time set up and ask for blankets, food, money, etc. to give to the sanctuary. (Find out what they need most!)

Donation jars.... the sanctuary might have some they'd give you to put out and keep track of at shops near you.

Set up a walk-a-thon, bike-a-thon, sew-a-thon (you get the idea) and have everyone get sponsors.

Google.... you might find some great fundraising ideas for animal charities! Check out websites of other horse sanctuaries/rescues and see what they're doing for fundraising.

Little Bear Guy Little Bear Guy
Waterloo, Ontario

I was at a craft show a couple of yrs ago and one lady there had done up a bunch of the cookies in the jar recipes.  She sold them for $10.00 a jar and she sold out in no time.  She had almost 100 jars,  the jars she had picked up at yard sales and such.

This is a fantastic website with lots of ideas, there are soups in a jar and brownies and all kinds of stuff.

http://www.allfreecrafts.com/giftinajar/index.shtml

Hope this helps. 

big hugs

Shane

Ohio

Thank you all so much.  Now you've got my mind rolling.

peterbear Boechout, Antwerp

Hi Millie,

I sponsor a local animal rescue shelter here in Belgium (dogs & cats, but also neglected horses and some wild animals saved from abominable circus life).

They give you the opportunity to become a foster parent to one of their horses or wild animals. 
Maybe for a modest fee people could become co-foster parents to one of their horses. 
The only thing that the animal rescue shelter would have to do is keep the foster parents up to date of their adoptive horse (maybe send them a few photos by mail), so the foster parents know their horse is well looked after and their money is well spent.

This system works very well here, because animal lovers feel they have a real connection with "their" animal.

It's just a thought.  I'm sure you will come up with a way to raise money and many TT-people will want to help you. :clap:

Hugs, :hug:

Peter

Woodbury Park Bears Woodbury Park Bears
Central Coast New South Wales

Hi Millie

Adoptions are a great way to raise ongoing funds like Peter I have adopted horses and monkeys (lots of zoos do this kind of thing) my daughter who is horse mad drove me up the wall wanting a horse some people just can't afford a real one but to adopt one with a picture and a certificate would make a little girls heart sing. Every little girl wants a pony! Good luck and I hope you make lots of money to help them out.

Hugs
Raewyn

Ohio

Thank you all so much.  I do like the adoption idea.  I will definitely work on this one.

Bumpkin Bears Bumpkin Bears
Antwerp, Belgium

I had the same adoption idea, I know many horse rescue centres in the UK do this, including Redwings, take a look at their link to see what they do -
http://www.redwings.org.uk/

Hugs
Catherine xx

eteddys eTeddys
Phoenix, AZ
Website

You mean they don't already do adoptions???  They must.  How can you take in more horses if you don't adopt out any?  Please check out www.dreamchaserpmu.org  This is the horse rescue where my family volunteers.  You an see their "resident" horses that are not adoptable and their horses up for adoption.  They have it set up so you can make a donation through paypal.  The rescue you are involved with should take a peek at the website as well. 

Hugs,
Alison

Ohio

Alison,

Maybe I've not explained well.  They do adopt horses out after a thorough investigation of the home.  Maybe what I'm thinking about is more of a sponsorship.  Where you would sponsor a horse for a certain amount each month.

Michelle Helen Chaska, Minnesota

Whatever you do get the news stations involved. That ususally generates donations.

eteddys eTeddys
Phoenix, AZ
Website

Millie,
Yes, sponsorship is a great idea.  They do that at Dreamchaser as well. 

Hugs,

Alison

Board footer