Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

Clarebear Fulrfun Bears
Alice Springs

I want a kind of 'hinge' joint but have absolutely no idea if they even exist.
How would they be fitted ?
Does anyone even know what I am trying to say?
I'm kind of thinking a sort of flexion / extension type joint.

Can anyone help? I don't know that I have explained this very well but if you have any idea what I am after I would appreciate any help.

tindlebears Tindle Bears
Xenia, ohio

HHHMMMM...maybe you are wanting a ball and socket type joint?

Clarebear Fulrfun Bears
Alice Springs

Noooo!  More of an elbow / wrist / knee / ankle than a shoulder / hip

greatwon2 AlmostBears
Tasmania

i wonder how youd go using real hinges, and sort of sew and/or glue them in altho thinking about it id imagine that the limb would look silly when its opened bear_original thered be a big gap in it  - could be overcome with extra material that gets scrunched up when the hinge is shut

what exactly would you be trying to do with it? that might help someone come up with an idea for you

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Do you want the elbow/wrist/knee/ankle to stay in the position you place it? If so it would have to be a tight hinge, nothing that moves easily.
If loc-line or wire armature won't give you the look you want and creating a sort of wobble joint affect by using two cotterpins and creating a joint at those locations is too, well, wobbly then I am completely stumped!
bear_ermm

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Clarebear wrote:

Noooo!  More of an elbow / wrist / knee / ankle than a shoulder / hip

The ball-jointed dolls move at all those points, Clare, and I've seen ball-jointed bears, too.

Laurie Brady Bears By Laurie Brady

I have made a ball jointed doll and had always intended on using the technique on bears.  The doll was ball jointed at elbow, wrist, ankle and knee.  It was quite posable (and held it;s place).   I took an online class to learn the technique. Try a Google search for "Judy ward ball jointed doll" for more info.

Hope this helps
Laurie

Clarebear Fulrfun Bears
Alice Springs

Thank you all for your help.  I will look into this a lot further.

Board footer