Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

Dilu Posts: 8,574

After what seems like months of discussions regarding shading on bears.  And Shelli's love of oil paint, I am here to say

Thank you Miss Shelli!!!

You are totally correct!  It is easy, and it works great and I love that you can mix your own colors...... I have always loved playing with paint and making new colors.....

I had a bunch of minis and I figured if i goof then I am out 5 dollars worth of materials not $75-80.

I thought it worked great and I am beary happy with the out come....

well ok on a couple of faces I laid it on a weebit too heavy.....but it is a learning thing.

So Thank You Miss Shelli....oil paint is great, easy, and i GET TO DO IT IN THE HOUSE!  I have to do air brushing outside.....

Unless I can get Judi to say there isn't any overblow of paint.  :lol:

For those of you who are interested in tryin g Shellis method, read her posts, and remember to keep a very very very very dry brush....

loving the new technique..... :love:

bear_tongue

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Oh, goodie!  I love that this worked for you.  You're right; the brush must be VERY dry.  You can always pull some of the extra paint off with a second (or third, or fourth) clean, stiff, dry brush, by dragging it through.  Or, you can add a lighter color -- again with a very dry brush -- on top of the "mistake", which will blend in and lighten the paint. 

I like to use as little paint as possible so it leaves no residue at all.

When finished, I brush through with a wire brush or stiff paintbrush, or both.

Thanks for posting about this Dilu.  I think it's one of the easiest ways to shade around, and doesn't require heat setting; although it does have the drawback of needing more drying time.  So little paint is used, though, that an hour or two should cover it.

bear_original

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

I have to agree with Dilu!!

Shelli sold me on the idea too!

It really works great. It's not scary. Very low investment. And the effects are fantastic.

I can see where air brushing may provide more coverage but unless you are really skilled I think there is a lot of room for error and less control. My humble, inexperienced opinion.

And markers are great, I use them but you can't blend them as well as paint or get really light shading as with oils.

Yup, Shelli and her marvelous ideas!!

Love ya, Shel!

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

Hi ....Yes Shelli....It works for me too....I love the fact that I can mix colours...and also add lighter shading to dark areas......Fab!!!!

One thing I have discovered though and it's only a little thing...I wasn't getting on with any of the brushes from the art shop.....not stiff enough...so I went to our local beauty warehouse, where I have a trade card, and bought professional make-up artist brushes...they are marvellous and relatively inexpensive ....first, they are  great shapes for the nooks and crannies of eyes and faces, second they are stiff as anything...and third, they hold their shape.

No looking back now...thanks Shelli....you're a bloomin' star!!!!

Jenny

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Oh Jenny, great idea!!!
I'll go find my card and head over there. Hm! Never thought of that!
Bet they'll be less expensive than those at the art store too!

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

Hi Daphne....it's not that they are that much cheaper....(well, the professional ones aren't here anyway)...it's just that they are designed to get into nooks and crannies. I bought a lip brush...which I use for eyes (duh)...it's a really pointy one...and stubby. I got an eyeshadow blender...again, short and stubby...and I am getting an eyebrow brush too...really hard and stubby..great for blending oils on fabric...

Helena Bears-a-Bruin!
Macclesfield, UK

I've tried the oil paints too and was very pleased with the outcome (my avatar bear). I haven't yet used them on the mini's because of a lack of suitable brushes - I'd need them to be really small. Thanks for the tip, Shelli!!!

lapousmor Sophie Z'Ours
Sarthe, France

Jenny, could you show me a picture of the brushes you usually use for this kind of painting, please?
I have never tried any kind of airbrushing yet...

Beary hugs,
Sophie.

Amanda Pandy Potter Bears
Staffordshire, UK

Yep I've said it before, a great way of doing things. It works great on felting as well. Try it everyone!

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_original Ditto. I love the oil paints. I got mine at 40% off at the local art supply store. I haven't had as much luck with markers, and the colors seem limited. My experiments with blending marker colors on scraps were downright frightening. I've still got a lot to learn about blending colors, but until I can afford the full airbrushing kit, I'm sticking with oils.

Eileen

Terrie Terries Bears
Sherwood Park, Alberta, Canada

I have tried oil paints as well and Iam also really pleased with the results! Thanks so much, Shelli for another great idea!!!!!!

Dilu Posts: 8,574

I did over do one of my experimental mini's and didn't think to add lighter color- so the next time I get the stuff out, which will be the next time Hubster goes to work, Sunday night, I will try adding some lighter color, the worst that can happen is I ruin a 2" bear......that's not too bad in my book for the learning experience.

I love the air brushing, but have to do it outside.....and that's hard to do in Oregon in the Winter while we are working on our 65-80 inches of rain a year......sigh

I am so glad you all like the technique too.  I figure the more things I have under my belt the better it is for the gollybears.

YEAH SHELLI

bear_tongue

rufnut Rufnut Teddy's
Victoria Australia

Will oil paints work on needlefelting, does anyone know?  :pray: Or has anyone tried it?

I am after some real soft tones, just wondering if it would work?

Also is there any specific brand oil paint that you use?

I have also posted this question under needlefelting.

Comments are welcome please. Thanks  :dance:

Board footer