Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

NancyL123 Nancy's Menagerie
New York

I'm new to the forum, and have found some great information so far. I see that there are many different materials being used to help color/shade such as oils, airbrushing, markers, makeup, etc. I haven't seen anything on Genesis paints. Does anyone know if there would be good using the oils technique?

One of the things I'm wondering about is that if the higher heat necessary to set the paints would damage the wool. I like the idea that the paints can be used like oils, but don't dry at all until they're heat set, so there's lots of working time, and that the cleanup up is easy, with soap and water. They're expensive though, so i didn't want to try it without seeing if anyone has had success with it.

greatwon2 AlmostBears
Tasmania

the first thing that comes to mind is that they are too expensive to use when other paints would do the same job  bear_original  but ive never tried it so i have no advice as to how theyd work

desertmountainbear desertmountainbear
Bloomsburg, PA

How high of a temp. do they need to set?  I use a hot blow dryer aimed directly at the fur to set acrylic, with no damage.  How much does this paint cost, I like the fact that it won't dry till set.  I like oil for its long drying time, but for me the time is too long.
Joanne

NancyL123 Nancy's Menagerie
New York

The prices of the paint varies according to the colors, I guess depending on the pigments used, but I saw them online for between 7-10 dollars per 1 ounce jar. They claim that it's not so expensive when you consider there's no waste. You can keep the paint on a glass palette indefinitely, since it won't dry out, so you don't have to throw any leftover paint away. Alot of polymer clay artists swear by it now.

As far as heat goes, from what I read, it needs to be about 250-260 degrees to set.

artbyrjandreae artbyrjandreae
Johannesburg, California

I think that would shrink the wool somewhat.  Joanne Liquitex makes an aditive  that extends the drying time of acrylics. It's called slow-dri  blending medium. I used it for my paintings because the desert heat would set my paint as soon as they hit the canvas.

fredbear Fred-i-Bear
Johannesburg
Website

Genesis paints heat set at 130C. They need 7-8 minutes to set. The tubs you purchase will last you years as the pigment needs to be diluted either with a recomended thinner or Genesis Thinning Gel. For reborn dolls, you dilute the paints almost to a clear liquid, and then build up the layers.

I am not sure I would use them on my bears, firstly the pigment would be very strong if used on its own, secondyly to set the paint you would have to put your bear in an oven. The heat gun you can use is very powerfull, and it takes a few seconds to heat set the paint. Do it longer on a bear, you will burn the mohair.

The paints must be stored in suitable plastic jars or glass containers as the paints re act  to certain plastics. Once mixed you can close the tub/jar and keep it till needed for another time.

I prefer using Prisma Pens, sometimes copic pens, or an airbrush with the recommended paints.

Lynette

lovenshire Love and Cuddle Nursery
Missouri
Website

I use the Genesis paints regularly.  I love them.  I use them very diluted on my dolls.  Even if you use the heat gun to set them, the final coat of paint needs to be in an oven for 8 minutes.  Don't think I would chance it on a Teddy...

Board footer