Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

lulu sweet souls
canton, new york

Hi Everyone!
Does anyone have any secrets they could share for turning wee little bear parts?  (specifically for bears 3 inches and under) I did these fairly easily a few years ago but am having some problems lately   bear_sad   - overworked looking bear arms by the time I've got them turned.  I realize this seems to indicate the problem might be my increasing age :0)  but maybe I've forgotten a trick or two.  I'm hoping it's the later!
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance!
Louisa  bear_flower  bear_flower

Carolynn Teenytinyteddybears

Hi Louisa.

I use a hemostat and on orange stick.(like you use for doing your nails) BUT, check your pattern. I have found that if the "wrist" is too small it is a struggle, you know the but where you put the paw pad in.

bearyfun732 Cutiepie Bears

hi louisa, i use my needle and take hold of the inner fabric while pulling it out at the same time. this works good for me, because those other tools are hard to get a hold of! bear_wacko

lulu sweet souls
canton, new york

Thanks so much for the tips!!!  The orange stick and needle assistance are great ideas bear_thumb
I also had a thought while weeding the garden this evening... what if I just left a much larger opening than normal?
Mattress stitching would work just as easily on a  partially sewn arm as it does on one with just a small opening.
Plus it's a bit of a fun challenge to see how perfect I can get the closing to look ;0)  Will try it tonight and let you know how it works out!
Hugs,  Louisa bear_flower

Laurie Laurie Lou Bears
Norfolk

I made a tiny elephant a few weeks ago and didn't know if I would be able to turn the trunk so I part sewed it and turned it and then finished it off with ladder stitch.It was easier than trying to turn such a tiny piece of material.
Laurie :hug:

Clarebear Fulrfun Bears
Alice Springs

Another way of turning them is to thread some strong thread witha good long 'tail' on it.  Tie a big knot in the end and use the thread to turn it.

elle Ellifolks
Eastern Ma.
Website

Hi Louisa  bear_original

I use the same method as Laura.  For tiny bears, I only sew up what I know I can turn on the inside.  This leaves a large opening, as you mentioned. Then I turn the piece, stuff the ends, and use a ladder stitch (same as mattress stitch, I think) to close the opening.  I stuff the rest of the piece as I sew, so the stuffing will stay in.  I have made 2 1/2" mohair bears using this method. 

Hugs,

Ellen

susiray Bear-Hands
Algarve, Portugal

Hi Louisa
i use the hemostat on my teeny tiny bears and leave a good size opening, when i put the hemostats in i poke the fabirc into the opening of the hemostats so i have a good amount to pull, and maybe on the turning to move the stats again. when i first started i used to catch the fabric and mark the fabric....hope that makes sense
bearhugs
susan

tuppies teddies Tuppies Teddies
Lindenow, Central Gippsland

Hope I can explain easily how I do it......

I leave the top open on the arms and legs...then I use my blunt nose pliers to grab a little of the fabric and turn it out...this can take awhile, and I just work and work it around until it is all turned,
I do sometimes use a chopstick to push the remainder out so the foot and pawpads are all nice and sharp along the edges...

Seraphim Seraphim Bears
Belleville
Website

I use to be a figurative artist and make very tiny fingers out of fabric for my dolls. In that time I found a set of tools called turning tubes that I still use for my bears and they are fabulous! You might want to try those or make a set for yourself. I find them to be a real life saver!

EvaJ EJ's Crafts
Fort Mohave, Arizona

I use wooden dowels for turning all my bears from small to large.  You can buy a package of different sizes in the craft store.  Sand them smooth and round off one end and they will work for turning and stuffing.

Board footer