Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Hey, All.  Just wanted to point out that our Millie (Nina Potter) is featured in the Bruins 'n Buddies section of the new Teddy Bear and Friends issue (August 2005).  Also, our Christine Pike has written a great article on hunting down English bears.  For those who don't live in the USA and who might not know, TB&F is one of our bear magazines.  Congrats, Millie, on your cute bears, and Christine . . . your article is interesting reading.  Hugs to all . . .

Laure Fool's Gold Bears
San Luis Obispo, CA

Ditto, Congrats to Millie and Christine.  For some reason, TB&F seems to arrive later for me than for other folks, so I haven't seen it yet.  Maybe the mail carrier reads it first. bear_grin

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

I get mine late, too, Laure... usually two weeks after the east coasters (not fair!)  Same for TBR.

Congratulations to our talented, published board participants!  I admire your ability for forethought, since I would love to be published again, but keep missing all the deadlines! :P:lol::rolleyes::D

I'll look very forward to checking out your submissions when my issue arrives...!

Delartful Bears Delartful Bears
Australia

I know about TB&F (I missed the last issue because my stoopid newsagency only got one in, and that one was ordered GRRR)
What's TBR Shelli?

Laure, I've been meaning to write to let you know how great your article is on Donna Hinkelman on Bears and Buds.  I look forward to reading the article on you.  But are you really only a rising star? I thought you'd been doing this for years!?!?

All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website

Oooh, how frustrating - I'm still waiting for the May/June issue to arrive here in the UK!!! bear_sad

millie PottersHouse Bears
Ohio

Thank you Sue Ann.  This is very exciting for me.  I had submitted pictures but was not sure if they would be used.  When I opened my magazine I seen a picture of a bear and I thought "That bear looks familiar", then I realized "Hey, that's my bear".  It was kind of funny.

Ohio

Sue Ann,

I haven't read through my magazine yet, but I did see your rooster is up for an award.  Good Luck!

JanetandBears Janet Ann Anderson and Bears
Breckenridge, CO
Website

Hi everyone,      I too was very excited to get my TBF yesteday and see my bear photo
      published for the TBAI 2005 show. (p.16)  Because of a computer crash I was not able to send it  by email and had to rush to town to send it over night express (expensive) to meet the deadline and did not know if they would use it.  So it was a double surprise to see it. 
       But,   it is very sad too  since Millie Gage  the orginater and force behind this show passed away last week after a year long battle with lung cancer.  Don't know how many of you knew her and know about her death.  She was an inspiration to me.     
                              Janet Anderson

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

Congrats, Janet, on your bear photo being published . . . sorry I didn't say something about it, too.  I knew of Millie Gage . . . that is very sad.  Danni - TBR is Teddy Bear Review, another of the USA bear magazines.  You know what I love, too??  Bear Creations - your Aussie mag.  I really like it a lot and get it whenever I go to shows.  Some dealer always has a bunch of back issues.

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Oh, how sad about Millie.  I'm submitting a piece for TBAI this year but can't make the show and was very much hoping to be invited and able to go next year, and to meet her.  I know she's been a driving force behind TBAI since it's inception and is a wonderful fundraiser for the Ross Park Zoo.  Thanks for letting us know.

Congratulations, too, Janet, on your TBAI piece being published.  I'm still working on mine; didn't make the deadline for magazine article submission (obviously) but will probably end up overnighting my piece to Cindy Malchoff near the July deadline.  Are you going to/exhibiting at the show?

Danni... Sue Ann is right; TBR is TEDDY BEAR REVIEW.  It's one of the two big US magazines.  Both of them have big contests for bear artists each year.  TEDDY BEAR & FRIENDS sponsors the "TOBY" (Teddy Bear of the Year) contest and TEDDY BEAR REVIEW sponsors the "Golden Teddy" contest.  I think Sue Ann has been nominated this year for both contests!  I was lucky to be nominated for a "Golden Teddy."

These contests are open to international submissions and both have entry deadlines sometime near year end (late December/early January) so for those of you interested, you might want to look into entering this winter.  It's never too early to start working on that "special" piece!

Danni and all other Australians... I'm not that familiar with the Aussie mags.  Can you recommend the "good" ones?  I know there are quite a few from which to choose and occasionally they come up for auction so I'd love to know where to point my purchase power!  Thanks!

Ohio

I guess I didn't realize how many of you do have bears either in articles etc. or up for awards.  Congratulations to all.

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

I hope that one day my work will be the kind that will be up for awards!  You all do such beautiful work!  I just have to look at it this way, I am at the beginning point in bear making and can only get better from here! I look forward every day to going home and starting where I left off with my bears... bear making and my two Poms really make great stress relievers! bear_original bear_grin

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

Nope, Sue Ann is only nominated for a Golden Teddy this year.  But I'm always thrilled with whatever comes my way!!  bear_laugh  My TBR came today and our Judi, as well as our Shelli, is nominated for a Golden Teddy also.  Hope I haven't inadvertently left someone out . . . if so, yell loudly!!  Also, Christine Pike has another interesting article in this mag, too.  It's about NOSES!!

Delartful Bears Delartful Bears
Australia

Hi Shelli,

There's really only Australian Bear Creations, and Doll and Bear Creations.  I think they are good magazines for people wanting to make bears from other people's patterns.  NOt much good for anything else.  They have a lot of bear artists advertising in them - but I have also heard you don't get much response from advertising in them.

I just wish we were to put out a magazine similar to the TB&F or the English Mags which are more aimed at the collector.  Which showcases all the wonderful artists ... Oh I can dream!

Laure Fool's Gold Bears
San Luis Obispo, CA

Hi All,

Danni,

Thanks for your comment on the Bears & Buds article.  As for my being an established artist, I should be by now, but just when I was starting to gain some recognition, my whole world blew up when my 24 year marriage ended suddenly, to my surprise.  That was at the end of 1996.  I married Werner in 1998, but it has taken until just the past couple of years for me to gain enough sense of stability and feel oriented to where I could focus on doing bears as business again.

Even so, I am a deadline "ditz", never able to keep track of those pub. deadlines for submitting themed bears or contest bears, although I have managed the themes a few times.  I entered for the TOBY way back in about 1994 when my skills were still fairly immature, but haven't gotten it together for entering any magazine contests since then (so far).  I did enter the Crystal Teddy Awards, and I think I came close to winning a prize, but unfortunately there had been a wood-heating stove accident in my studio just prior to the contest, and my entry smelled like wood smoke, which, of course, is a big "no-no".  My theory on deadlines is that, like my life, it will take me a bit of time to get oriented to the schedules.  I really want to do it because deep down inside, should I admit it (?), I have a kinda competetive spirit in me, not that I want to lord it over anyone...quite the opposite, I love seeing others in my field succeed...but I have a personal drive to excell. bear_original  So many thanks to you Shelli, for generalizing the mag. contest seasons like you did.  I hope that will help me remember.  Also, I hope hanging out on this board will help jog my memory for major deadlines.

Just Us Bears Just Us Bears
Australia

Laure,
I'm sure as time goes on..you'll get motivated abough to meet thise deadlines,and when you do..watch out world! Being competitive is not something to be ashamed to admit...if the truth's only known, we are all competitive. How many times have I heard someone at a comp say "I'm not expecting to win anything, I'm just doing it for the experience"..when we all know that if we don't do well, we are extremely disappointed! I know I am! I enter my best work, hoping against all hope, that it's good enough to win, and having to cope with disappointment if the judges don't think my bear is as wonderful as I do. I'm not meaning to sound conceited...but don't we all think our handmade treasures are just the bees knees???:D

Laure Fool's Gold Bears
San Luis Obispo, CA

Probably so, Hayley, (BTW, Hayley Mills was my childhood Idol)

I think for most, if not all of us, our bears are thaerapy in some way, and as such, we are personally attached to them. bear_original

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Oh ladies, I am so proud of you!  How wonderful that your 'published'  I can hardly wait till my issue gets here....

(We only have 300 families in our post office and I really do believe our postmistress reads the good stuff before putting it in the box.  I am sure I am the only one who gets TB&F here)

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!~!

dilu:P

Board footer