Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

bearlyart Canna Bear Paint
NY

Actually, I haven't really been active on eBay in a while for bears or much of anything.  However, I was reconsidering it for down the road, so I try to keep updated on their changes.  I caught wind of these new changes today and seems like this one could be a big problem!  Look at #4 on this list summarizing the newest changes coming to eBay soon:

http://collectdolls.about.com/od/dollco … hanges.htm

There's not a ton of information out there on this.  Has anyone else heard about it?  Not looking good at all.  Basically, people are interpreting this as saying that if you don't make a point of opting out of this new program by August 31st, eBay claims the right to use your own photographs AND LET OTHER EBAY SELLERS USE THEM.

Here's a link explaining how to opt out in your eBay account:
http://naamah-darling.livejournal.com/411410.html

And the best part?  I just tried to opt out and the change didn't stick.  It still says I'm opted in.  It says to check the box to opt out, but that doesn't work!!!  I tried a second time, and it told me "Your preferences are not available at this time.  Please try again later."  I repeated this process again, and again it didn't work and then told me my preferences were not available.  AUGH!  So I'm still opted in!  Guess I'll try again later on a different browser!

Thoughts on this, anybody?
Kelly

P.S.  There are some other rotten changes on that first link above, too.  For example, the one about insurance no longer being allowed separately.

P.P.S  The link to review all upcoming eBay changes is here on eBay's site (click on FAQ for the most info):
http://pages.ebay.com/sell/July2009Upda … index.html

I'm seeing a whole slew of garbage on that list.  Buy It Now price must be at least 10% higher than your auction price.  Border, Highlight and Features Plus are all being discontinued.  I'm trying to validate #6 on the first link above and I'm not seeing it in eBay's FAQ (the one about unique items not able to be listed anywhere but on eBay while your auction is running), and can't find more info on that one.  Can anyone see if that one's true or not?

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

Thanks for letting us know about this, Kelly.

I tried changing my settings last night and couldn't do it. Today, it works.

For anyone else who doesn't want eBay to use your photos for its own purposes, go to "Site Preferences" on your Account tab. There, edit the "Share Your Photos" section, changing your setting from "Yes" to "No."

Becky

eteddys eTeddys
Phoenix, AZ
Website

Kelly,
Thank you for sharing this information.  Looks like we have until Aug. 31 to opt out.  I did through the site preferences page under my account and it worked. 

Hugs,
Alison

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

I must be missing something - I follow the instructions and there is no "share your photos" section under my account preferences.  I've looked half a dozen times and nothing.  I've even clicked "show" on every preference listed to see if it is hidden somewhere.  I haven't used Ebay's listing sheet in years - always Auctiva.  Would that make a difference?

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

there wasnt a 'share your photo' section when I went in. .....MMMmmmm??? oh well.

Hmmm Wendy - is it that we are from other countries than the US?  Hadn't thought of that before!  I'm off to check Ebay.ca

Nope - that's not it either!!! Don't understand this at all

Melisa Nichols Melisa's Bears
Hazelton, BC
Website

I couldn't find it either - I looked on ebay.ca where I usually list, and also checked my site preferences on ebay.com.

bearlyart Canna Bear Paint
NY

I checked four eBay accounts (between mine, my mother's, buying, selling, personal or business), anyway, I was able to turn off the photos option on two of those accounts.  For the other two, that option was nowhere to be seen.  I have no idea what they think they're doing!

Cheers,
Kelly

Kelly,
     It is very weird.  I always use Auctiva and Photobucket to host my pictures for my template.  They disappear from my ebay auctions after 90 days, if I don't delete them.  I am seriously thinking I will go and delete all of my pictures for the last 90 days from those two sites. If they aren't sent through Ebay's system, that should be enough. 
     Even with people that do use Ebays listing page, they disappear after 3 months or so - Ebay can't possible save every picture that's been listed on the site - they can't have room for all of them.  I'm taking a break from Ebay, after my nightmare customer and giving Etsy a push, along with my blog.  I took a break for a year before, and it might just be a permanent one this time.  It is just too hard to keep up with all their ridiculous changes.

hugs,

Brenda

Board footer