Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

Bumpkin Bears Bumpkin Bears
Antwerp, Belgium

What do you all use for stuffing your minis - I've been using polyfill and then small steelshot for weight in the tummy.  The polyfill springs out too easily  bear_ermm  Interested to know what you all use.

Hugs
Catherine

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

I use mountain mist that I get at walmart. Not sure if you could find it. But it's a ployester stuffing, but it's not slippery, and packs really firm if you want it. So that's what I use and I've never had a problem.

Heather

Helena Bears-a-Bruin!
Macclesfield, UK

I love heavy polyester fibre. It's available in the UK from here: https://www.noblecraft.co.uk/html/polyester_fibre.html . I like the way it packs (lump free!) and it slides easily which I find useful for little ones. I use it for all my bears up to the 7" size, but the larger bears tend to get too heavy if I use it for them. I once stuffed the rather large head of one of my bigger bears with it and was left wondering how on earth the body would hold the head up!!!

I usually find small packs of it on ebay, to save buying it in bulk from the above link. A little goes a long way in the world of minis  bear_grin

WildThyme Wild Thyme Originals
Hudson, Ohio

I'll have to take a peek at that heavy polyfil.  I use regular old Mountain Mist also.

Beary truly,
Kim Basta
Wild Thyme Originals

Helena Bears-a-Bruin!
Macclesfield, UK

It's definitely worth a try Kim. Let me know if you get some, and what you think of it.

starlite Starlite Bears
Renfrew,Scotland

I use polyester too - a mid quality - or so the man said when I ordered it -
but for little tiny bears - 2" or less I use kapok and use fine nose pointy tweezers to stuff with - then a teeny little pillow of either steel shot or glass beads but I have to say that really tiny ones also take ages to fill that way.   :rolleyes:
I would love to know how people get minis really heavy - like  some I have held at fairs - I can just fit in enough weighting so that little ones balance right but they never seem to have that 'substantial' feel of others I have encountered - if anyone knows the answer I would be ever so grateful  bear_original bear_original
:hug: :hug:
Anne

Dilu Posts: 8,574

I love mountain mist for the gollies 3" and above....

for the teds 2"-3" I am in love with kapok.....even if it does get all over the place, and the cats furballs look vaguely tan and they are black, and it has this annoying way of floating through the air with the greatest of ease and landing in your tea, or dinner, the fish bowl....the spa?

It firms up beautifuly and I don't have to work so hard with it....it really knows how to pack down with less work.....

I have to admit, as usual, you gals are teaching me....DUH  :rolleyes:

I have glass beads in old waterbottles all over the house-do I think to use them on the minis?  I will try that with the one I plan on finishing tomarrow..

Thanks guys

bear_tongue

Terrie Terries Bears
Sherwood Park, Alberta, Canada

I use Mountain Mist and steel shot as well. I have never heard of the heavy polyfil before, I am going to check it out.

Antwerp, Belgium

Great, thanks everyone.  For the steel shot do you also place it in a little pillow of fabric?  I'm finding it hard to make these small enough to hold the steel shot?  I always do it in a 'pillow' but do any of you ever do the steel shot loose into the bear?

Hugs
Catherine

Tammy Beckoning Bears
Nova Scotia
Website

Catherine, I put my steel shot in a piece of nylon stocking/ knee-hi/pantyhose.  I just tie the end, pour in the shot,  leave a space and tie other end- voila no sewing and it is stretchy so easy to insert into the bear.

Antwerp, Belgium

Great, thanks Tammy - I remember I did that once before too - time to raid my sock drawer ;)

Hugs
Catherine

Jellybelly Bears Jellybelly Bears
Australia

I've never heard of heavy polyfil.  Sounds good.  I use regular polyfil and fine glass beads, but my bears are only around the 5 inch mark.
I always worry that steel shot will rust..Does it rust through the fabric 'pillows'??

By the way, so cool that there is a mini section now!!  I haven't been on here for a week and love this new addition, and the new smilys!  How cool are they!!  :thumbsup:
Bear hugs :rose:
sarah

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

I think the gals said before about getting stainless steel shot because it doesnt rust...

Antwerp, Belgium

Yep, I use that thanks Kim bear_original  I'll have a look out for the other type of polyfill mentioned too bear_original

Catherine

kathytaylor Ruby Mountain Bears
Northern Nevada, USA

I too use poly fil, but that idea for the bb's is a great one. I always have trouble getting enough of them in to get the weight I won't . I think I just threw out a pair of nylons. I'm going to try that new Idea. be right back.
Kathy bear_rolleyes

Jellybelly Bears Jellybelly Bears
Australia

Ohhh...okie dokie  bear_grin  wonder if we can get stainless steel here???  hmmmm
Hugs Sarah

buttonbears BUTTONBEARS
Holland

Hi All,

I use a combination of steelhot and kapok. To prevent the last from getting all over the place, you can slightly dampen it with water (with a sprya, like the one you use to create a mist over plants like orchids?) .
Not enough to soak it, but just to cling the fibres together.
Also it is sensible to use a mask to prevent the fibres from getting into your nose or lungs, but this can be quite nasty when it is hot I'm afraid.
bear_ermm

Amanda Pandy Potter Bears
Staffordshire, UK

I use kapok too.  Also the steel shot.

Hi Buttonbears, I see you only have 5 posts which means you are new here!!!   Hellllo, welcome, we are so happy to have you....

I love your idea of spraying the kapok just a little so it doesn't fly all over the place....Although I have gotton used to it.....but it is uncomfortable in the heat....And I always have spray bottle of water handy to zap the KrazyKwatzu Kat when he starts getting evil twisted thoughts....Thanks

Dilu

nettie scotland
Website

I use cotton ,kapok and sterilised bird cage sand.The sand is tricky but feels nice in the feet hands and tummy and make it heavier but not as heavy as shot.The only place I can't send it is Australia.I did once and they gamma radiated the poor bear.Luckily he survived though perhaps he won't have any cubs now!!!!I got a nasty letter from Australian customs as I had also packed the bear with some pot porris!I like my bears to smell nice when they arrive.
Diane xxx

I apoloogise again for my spelling I have fixed cubs who knows what cuhbs are???

Bird cage sand?  Is it a lighter sand than catbox sand.....We have a parrot and have never seen birdcage sand.......but I find what you all use for one thing I can usually find over here if I come up with a different name.....

Dilu

Deb Upstate New York
nettie wrote:

I did once and they gamma radiated the poor bear.Luckily he survived though perhaps he won't have any cunbs now!!!!Diane xxx

Hehe!

Board footer