Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

Michelle Helen Chaska, Minnesota

Hello Teddy Bear Friends: I wanted to give a tip for those who like to sew and watch TV at the same time. I am very nearsighted and I have bifocals for distance and for reading. I found I could not hand sew and watch TV at the same time without putting on and off my glasses. So I found a solution: I went to my optometrist and explained I can not see when I am hand sewing my bears with my normal glasses on. I asked if it is possible to have the top part of my glasses with my prescription for distance vision and a magnification on the bottom half. He did as I asked and I have a 3.5 on the bottom half while my prescription for distance is on top.  For the bottom half he did measuring of where I held my hand sewing and determined my 3.5 strength (It varies depending on individual needs). He called them "hobby glasses" percription. I picked a larger eyeglass frame so I have plenty of room to see TV and my sewing (I don't care, I won't be wearing them outside).

I got the glasses and they work perfectly!! I can watch TV and do my hand sewing at the same time. I thought I would pass on the tip.

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

Michelle I was just thinking that I needed something like this!!!!  Thanks so much for posting bear_original  I need a RX for the top half and plain glass for the botton.

Bubble-Up Bears Bubble Up Bears!
Murrieta, California

Sounds just like my glasses but my doctor called them "Computer Glasses".  I think they are the same though. bear_original

rkr4cds Creative Design Studio (RKR4CDS)
suburban Chicago

AARrrggghhhhhh!! We're traveling in CA right now, basing out of Los Gatos, we south a week ago, to Yosemite and East across the Central Valley & Gold Country since Sunday heading for home today (there's a Magical Glass Pumpkin Glass Festival' with hand-blown glass pumpkins from golf ball to beach ball size h'ere in town this weekend!) and going up along the coast North of San Fran next week.

As the navigator (First, the CA maps are HORRIBLE!!!! - so, THANK GOD for TomTom... 'cuz we're so used to living where the roads are laid out in a grid system...), I need (hobby/vcomputer glasses to read the maps, quick: switch glasses to read the road signs, quich - switch glasses again to try to find that on the map... quick, another set of signs............

It is better to just drive and see where you end up rather than heading to a particular spot; fortunately there are interesting things to see almost everywhere!

I have an appt with my Dr as soon as I return home late in the month.
I already wear bifocals, - I may just need trifocals!
hggzzz
Bobbie

danceswithteddybears Dances With Teddy Bears
Pacific Northwest

Thanks, Michelle! I didn't know there was such a thing as hobby glasses, or computer glasses.  I really should look into getting a pair. 
I wear (don't laugh) two pairs of glasses when I sew while watching tv.  A strong reader over my regular glasses.  I have the readers pushed down my nose some.  I sew looking through both pairs and watch tv looking through my regulars. 
It works, but I look pretty ridiculous.  :crackup:

Bubble-Up Bears Bubble Up Bears!
Murrieta, California

Laura,
PLEASE take a picture!!! bear_original

Michelle Helen Chaska, Minnesota

I do hope for all of you the hobby glasses will do the trick. For me the top part is for distance (watching TV for me) and the bottom part is a 3.5 thingy that when looking down magnifies my sewing and I just love it...It is very different from my bifocals....So let me know how it works for all of you, I for one am amazed I did not think of this before. I would have to chose, do I watch TV or do I sew....Not anymore!!

Board footer