Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

As I was stalking your website again  bear_shocked this evening, I noticed you've updated it...it looks absolutely wonderful.  I love the color scheme you've used and of course your bears just so adorable. 

Take a peek folks...

bear_wub

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Thank you for the compliments, and for noticing, Shantell!  But I have just now figured out that I did an incredibly dummy thing, so I have a question/favor to ask of all of you... pretty please... ?

Here's the deal.

When you design a website, you need to use what are called WEB SAFE FONTS for the text portions of your site.  I know that!  When I redid my site I chose a font that I thought I remembered was websafe.  Long story short, it's not.  AARGH!  I just figured this out five minutes ago, while researching for a design client who wants to use fancy fonts for the text portions of her website.  I looked for, and found, some links to Web Safe Fonts, so she would understand why I was telling her, "No, you can't use those fonts for text."   And guess what?  My own font wasn't on those lists!  Duh, Shel.  <--- feeling pretty dopey right about now.

I used TAHOMA on my site... not a Web Safe Font.  Meaning that, what I'm seeing on MY computer at home, where I have TAHOMA installed, might not remotely be what you're seeing on YOUR computer, unless you have TAHOMA installed, also. 

If I had chosen a Web Safe Font for the text on my site, what I'm seeing here at home would be precisely what you're seeing at home or work, on your computer.

(And yes, for the curious among you...  this is the reason why all websites appear to use only a handful of fonts for text, rather than one of the dizzying number actually available.  There are only about ten fonts that all computers, no matter what operating system, can "see."  For more info on this, if you're interested, check here: 

http://www.designtutor.com/tutorial.htm
http://www.abramsnet.com/html/fonts.html
http://www.accordmarketing.com/tid/arch … onts.html)

Anyway ... here's the favor part.

I have two issues you can help me with, which could potentially save me many hours of work re-doing my font stuff <sigh>, numbskull that I am:

1.)  Please visit my new site, www.potbellybears.com.  Can you read the text portions okay?  Are any parts cut off?  Does the text seem to fit the space nicely, or does it appear way too big or too small to your eye?   You will find the biggest chunk of text on my ARTIST page, but there's also a biggish text block on the opening page, and on the WHERE TO LOOK page.

2.)  Just answer me this:  Do you have TAHOMA installed as a font on your computer?  I think it's fairly common, so maybe I'm okay... AARGH!

Thanks all, for any little bit you can do to help me resolve this puzzle.

Willamette Valley Oregon

Your Welcome...I checked out the my font situation and I have tahoma installed on this machine and I don't think that any additional fonts have been added but I can't remember for sure....this thing is a dinosaur.  Everything on your site looks great...all there in one piece, fits nicely, easy to read, etc.

Now...to assure everyone I'm not really a stalker...I look at several website...trying to decide what I like and don't like about them so when I finally get off my butt I can get one up and running for myself.   bear_wub  bear_wub  I'm off to lurk somemore.... :angel:

Shantell

bearlyart Canna Bear Paint
NY

This is interesting.  Looking at your site, the vast majority of text on your site... isn't text.  You've designed your site to be a series of interlaced images, with text included within the images.  That actually doesn't count as text, your viewer's computers aren't thinking of it in terms of a font, size or anything else, it's just displaying an image.  So to that end, if you put text in an image, you can use ANY text and it will display exactly the same as you see it on your computer just like the photo of a bear you see on your computer looks the same on my computer, too.

There is a down side (there's always a down side).  Your site would have virtually no content to someone browsing with their images turned off (I have a blind cousin who surfs the web, so I try to remember things like this).  Sometimes even sighted people turn their images off, if they are on a really lousy dial-up connection.  But the BIG (really big) drawback I can think to doing text this way is that search engines cannot 'read' your text if it is only in an image.  So the things that you are referring to in your text, like galleries you are in, magazines you've been published in, awards you've won... a search engine cannot see.  If a search engine cannot read your text, you might as well not have that text on your site.  Try this and you'll see what I mean... go to google and type in something that SHOULD return your site within its results.  Type this:

"potbelly bears" "golden teddy" chauncey

The results include links to Jones Publishing, the Theodore Society, Bears and Buds and Intercal.  No mention of your site, though it should link directly to the Noteworthy page on your site because all of those words are mentioned on that page.  But the text is not text on that page, it's an image... the search engine couldn't see it, so no match.  Your site is lovely, but the image / text thing may be losing you a lot of traffic.  Thought you might like to know and hope this helps!  (You can punch me when we meet sometime in the future.)

Hugs,
Kelly

Willamette Valley Oregon

Kelly,

Speak slowly and clearly I'm only in pre-school....how in the heck did you see all that?

Good grief...now I feel like a bozo...well...I do have big feet bear_original

Deb Upstate New York

Punch ya?  Naw!  She'll give you a big hug!  Very interesting.

Shantell, I think Kelly is saying that although it appears there is text on the site, it's not being recognized as text, but as part of the images.  At least that's my interpretation.  Now how she (Kelly) recognized this ... I have no clue.  Maybe she can read html.

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Shel - your website is fantastic and I could see all parts of the text very well.  And yes, I have the 'Tahoma' font on my computer.  The very ONLY thing that I see that might be a drawback is the faintness/dimness of the print and that could be the fault of my old and fading eyesight.  It just didn't seem to be as crisp and sharp as I needed it to be.  Again though, I may be the only one that has that problem; otherwise, your site is absolutely divine and very easy to navigate.  Kudos to you!

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Okay.  Kelly, I know exactly what you're talking about.  You're right... mostly.... about the text being in image format instead of text format.  However, I didn't know that, until you just wrote to me.  It all makes sense now...

Here's why, for anyone interested.

I use a program by COFFEE CUP, called Visual Site Designer.  Why?  For no better reason than because it was in the counter-side bin at Office Depot around the time I decided I'd like to start playing around with my own web design concepts.  Mind you, I had zero knowledge/experience with web design and html at the time.

COFFEE CUP's WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get) program is great for people starting from zero, who don't want to invest a huge amount of time in learning a more complicated, code-rich program, that costs ten gajillion dollars to boot.  I was able to figure out HOW to use it within an hour or two.  Then, the work was just about art producing the design itself, which no matter which program you use, takes forever, due to all the links, adjustments, testing, photo resizing, file arranging, saving and resaving and then saving again because you'd kill yourself if you lost or corrupted the file after all that work, etc. 

Kelly, I'm sure you know exactly what I'm talking about.  Mark, too.  Among others here with some experience in web design.

Sooooo...

The major, and I do mean major, drawback of this COFFEE CUP software -- which I realized only after I was well into using it -- is that there is absolutely NO way to view, alter, edit, or otherwise access, html coding directly.  To see the code that appears on my website, I must visit my own website online, and then VIEW PAGE SOURCE.  This does me no good in terms of programming, however, because even once I have the code, I can't do anything with it in my software! (There is a way to insert html, but you can't "see" it from the program, while you're working.)  It's really and truly designed to be a WYSIWYG program... without any access at all to the non-WYSIWYG stuff allowed.  AARGH!

By the time I figured this out, I was too far gone and didn''t yet need the sophistication of a program like Dreamweaver, so tackling that learning curve -- and pricetag! -- didn't inspire me to switch over.  =And still hasn't... yet.  It's coming, though, and soon.  Because I'd like to do something more sophisticated, like forms, and shopping carts, and lists, etc.  At that time, once I get a new program learned and under my belt, I hope to begin doing web design for others, in addition to the static print and web graphics I'm doing for several paying clients, now.

Kelly... in my program, there are two ways to input text.  One is by using the TEXT tool, which I presume a search engine would read as true text.  The other is to create a shape, which the program allows me to add BUTTON TEXT within.  That's how much of my website is created -- creating a rectangle, which I match in color to the background color, and then insert BUTTON TEXT inside.  Why?  Because there is a buggy problem when using the TEXT tool, that actually disallows a true "WYSIWYG" appearance, and requires careful back and forth checking with the "live" test version of the site, to make sure the text is placed properly. 

These, among other reasons, are why when people say, Can you do my site, too?  I say... um... nope.  Too many issues and problems and limitations, with this program... the only one that, at this point, I know.

Have I lost you all yet?

Anyway... I had NO IDEA that the BUTTON TEXT/rectangle combo was built and saved as an image until you just read my page code and translated it for me as such.  Why?  Because, as I've said ten million times... yes, I built my own website.  But I don't have a single clue about how to program using html.  Which also means, I can't read html!  So even if I were viewing my own pages, in code, I can't decipher them oen bit.  Well, except for a few parts, anyway.  Not enough to do myself any good.

But thanks to Kelly, the puzzle is now solved.  AND, I don't have to redo my work!

Obviously, yes... if the text is saved as an image, it will appear "as-typed," and not according to a particular computer's default browser, as I blathered on about, above.

On other notes...

I absolutely understand and agree with your points, Kelly, about the drawback of using text-in-images, in terms of slow loading and browser spidering, and how this particular fashion of doing things limits me in some ways.  However, I have about 35,000 hits to my site to date -- and yes, some of those are from my test runs, but not nearly thirty thousand hits worth!  I think it's more like several hundred hits per site recreation -- so I think in terms of hits being generated from search engines, I'm okay.

For business -- not vain -- reasons, I do Google myself from time to time under various permutations -- POTBELLY BEARS, Shelli Heinemann, Bear Paths, OOAK mohair artist bears, Collins Gift Shop, etc. -- to see if my meta tags and content are registering on the search engines, and to what extent, and generally have very good, top of the list results for the more important of these identifiers (my name; my business name.)  But you're dead right; I am missing out on hits I might otherwise get, doing it this way.

Kelly... what program do you use for your web design?  And when the time comes for me to use a more sophisticated program, which do you use/recommend?  Actually, I think we covered this once before.  I'm leaning toward DreamWeaver...

I did have my first-ever experience with the "kind" of program the "real" programs are a week or so ago.  I used Netscape Composer -- didn't even know it existed, or that I had it, until I tried to open up the TEDDIES 4 CHARITY template, and my computer default-opened it in that application.  Composer's format and functions, albeit primitive, gave me some nice insight into how it's possible to have one input, in a WYSIWYG type format, to look at on-screen while developing content ... but ALSO be able to preview that content in html code, by just clicking a tab and switching "viewing goggles," for want of a better term.

Anyway...

Now, I will stop talking, because this has got to be THE single most boring post I've ever written.

Thanks, Kelly, for clarifying!  It also opens up the possibility that I can use fancy text in those boxes, since they're actually images after all.   Which I didn't know.  <--- feeling even more dopey than earlier.

bear_original

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Deb wrote:

Kelly is saying that although it appears there is text on the site, it's not being recognized as text, but as part of the images.  At least that's my interpretation.  Now how she (Kelly) recognized this ... I have no clue.  Maybe she can read html.

Yes, that's what she's saying.  And yes, she can read html.

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

SueAnn wrote:

The very ONLY thing that I see that might be a drawback is the faintness/dimness of the print

Actually, my mom told me this very same thing, just this morning.  So off to redesign the text color scheme, I go!

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

bearlyart wrote:

(You can punch me when we meet sometime in the future.)

I don't want to punch you, I want to take a class from you.

Silly bear...

:hug:

Deb Upstate New York

E-gads ... Quy is gonna have to hook us up with a Nerd Topics forum!

I bet anyone with the aptitude could learn enough in a one-day html class to be pretty dangerous.  I fiddle around with it just enough to get my auctions (nothing fancy) onto Ebay.

Just Us Bears Just Us Bears
Australia

Shelli.
Upon reading your first post...I was jumping up and down...pick me...pick me.....I know that one! For once I can tell Shelli something she didn't know instead of the other way around! :dance:
But alas...then I read that you are unable to add html code to your source. :(
Anyways..I will tell you what I'm on about and if it helps sometime in the future then great! It may even help someone else with a similar problem.

When you want to use a font that is unusual, you can embed the font in your source code. What this means is that it's being permanently attached to that page so that whoever reads it, sees the font as intended, regardless of whether they have it on their computer or not. I have embedded Kristen ITC on my website, so now everyone sees it as Kristen ITC.

I am in the throws of redoing my own website at the moment....comes from learning to use photoshop which has made me entirely dissatified and critical of my site now, and I have great plans. Just hope I can transfer my imagination into something on screen.
We use Dreamweaver. I know Chris (hubby and webmaster) was a little frustrated at times with it....but since we have tamed photoshop, he has commented just how much easier it is. We design what we want in Photoshop...then put it all together in Dreamweaver.
He also said that HTML is not hard to learn..just get a good book from the library on basic HTML and work through it. With your nouse Shelli...you would most likely breeze thru it. Me...I have sat for hours, watching hubby work...and I still don't get it! :doh:
I think it's great that you are thinking of doing websites for others in the future...but remember, they take hours and hours....and that's hours and hours you then don't have for other things. So make sure you do it because you enjoy it...not because you think you should. Okay...stepping out of mummy mode now and the lecture is over. bear_wub

Willamette Valley Oregon
Shelli wrote:
Deb wrote:

Kelly is saying that although it appears there is text on the site, it's not being recognized as text, but as part of the images.  At least that's my interpretation.  Now how she (Kelly) recognized this ... I have no clue.  Maybe she can read html.

Yes, that's what she's saying.  And yes, she can read html.

I actually did understand that part...I just didn't understand (and still don't but don't really need to know  bear_rolleyes ) how she could tell that by viewing the website itself.

I find ALL of this fascinating and wish I had the visual endurance to dabble in it myself.  In many ways I resent this glaucoma crap because it's taken away so much of that kind of independence...but enough of that conversation.

Well, I hope that my comments on your website Shelli were helpful for you and didn't just open a can of worms....and expensive can that is (new software, new learning curve, etc.)

And wouldn't it be wonderful if we could really get together for "hands-on" learning.  I know I more often then not get more out of instruction if I can actually see it being done.

bear_original

bearlyart Canna Bear Paint
NY

OK, back now, had to have a dentist appointment
:doh:

Shantell, here's a couple of ways to figure out text vs. an image of text.  You can highlight real text with your cursor, like if you wanted to copy and paste it somewhere.  You can't highlight an image like that.  Another check would be that if you right click over an image, one of the options on the menu that appears is 'Save Image As'.  It only gives you that option if you're clicking on an image, it won't do that if you're clicking on real text.  Try highlighting or right clicking on the main page of Shelli's site (images of text) versus her Contact Me page (real text).  You'll see the difference.  Third way is the source code, of course, which shows a very long list of links to jpg images instead of displaying text.

Deb, you're on the right track.  Maybe it is makes more sense to say that though it looks like text, it is only a picture of the text.   It looks the same to us humans, but computers see it as completely different entities.  Kind of like if I had a big chocolate cake in front of me, versus having a picture of a big chocolate cake.  Hmmm, I could go for some chocolate cake...

Shelli, you have my utmost respect for the work you've put in on your site, I don't want to sound like I am belittling or criticizing your work in any way.  The text thing is something that you can ignore completely if you wish, obviously people are finding your site any number of ways.  I think I just added 20 or so to your counter just in going back today and checking things as I'm writing this out.  (Try as I might, I can't accomplish the same feat with my site as it is only set to click up for unique visitors... what was I thinking???)   
:lol:

Anyhoo, I'm not familiar with Coffee Cup but it sounds like I'd hate it if I couldn't work with the source code directly  bear_original  I have no idea if the TEXT versus BUTTON TEXT option would solve your problem (though sounds like that's a problem in itself!).  But whatever you did on the Contact Me page and also the top of the links page is true text so I'd aim for that if you can force Coffee Cup into submission.  Anyway, it is very good that you have the right kind of info in your META tags, looks like everything you've been test searching for is in your META tags, so that's why it's showing up. 

This isn't going to help you (don't know if I've helped yet, actually, I think I'm just throwing kinks in the works!) but I almost always code by hand.  WYSIWYG editors make me crazy.  Dreamweaver is a good option for you to move up to when you feel the need for change, you can flip back and forth between accessing the source code directly or using the WYSIWYG interface.  It is well respected in the industry. 

Kudos to Hayley for mentioning embedded fonts!  Never actually done that myself, but it shouldn't be too difficult to look up the how-to's for anyone who wants to do it. 

By the way, my apologies if I am coming off sounding badly with any of this.  I posted about the text as an image thing only as an FYI.  I am somewhat over-trained in things Info Techy, so I am a big geek and, occasionally, a social moron.  Anyway, I don't think I need to tell anyone that Shelli's site is gorgeous
:thumbsup:

Cheers,
Kelly

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Kelly, you are a fountainhead of knowledge.  I didn't feel criticized in the slightest.  I'm glad somebody finally believes me, and has evidence now to really get behind that belief, when I say, "I swear... even though I did my own site, I really don't know a thing about web design and html!"  Whew!   What a relief!

Question:  Why do WYSIWYG editors make you crazy?  Is it somehow better, cleaner, to work in code directly?

Re: stat counters:  Actually I used to have a counter only on my home page.  Again, because I am a dodo with this stuff, making it up as I go along, I figured out I could place that same counter code on all my pages.  Problem is, it doesn't count unique visitors or unique page hits in the counter numbers itself... although when I go to the stats website to check my stats, it does show me that information, there.

If I could have figured out a takes-less-than-five-hours way to do it, I would have set up my page counters, including my homepage counter, to show unique visitors, or at the very least new/separate visits, myself!

I still think it's interesting information to have on board, to know that people are spending time to visit my pages that many times over, even if those visits are not unique.  However, someday I"d like to figure out how to have BOTH kinds of site stats.  If only the day were ten hours longer...

Thanks for everything, Kelly!

:clap:

Densteds Densteds
Website

Hi Shelli,

just had a peek at your website, it looks good and easy to browse only thing I noticed when I clicked on "new bears" and then onto Miss Lavendish her pic didn't show only a grey square...Waffles and Angel were okay...just the little lavendar lady

hugs,
Denise.

Gail Bear With Me Enterprises
Website

WOW you computer savy gurus leave me breathless!!!!
Hugs
Gail  bear_shocked bear_shocked bear_shocked

Marie_ Kiprie Bears
Yokohama, Japan

Oops, I don't pretend that I can follow this but I'm willing to study
about web design !! (Ok ..I'll comeback with this issue when I'm ready...)

Shelli, you just crack me up, " WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get)". hee hee hee bear_grin bear_laugh bear_grin
I love your new website (old one was great already..  :rose:) , I see pretty everything ok in my
PC but not sure about the font you were talking..(please ignore me  :P)

I bought a IBM(home page builder version 8)last year and It's reasonable price & easy to use but
I found that this program is very boring......WYSIWYG, it's a YWGFWYP (You will get for what you paid...)kind program and it has shopping cart and a lot of -ready to open your own web shop- things but I found that I have to pay "fees" (about $30.00) every month to the host this shopping cart system!! I only sell few bears in a year~ but I WILL STUDY with this progrum because THIS IS WHAT I HAVE now..   bear_ermm  :bday:

Right now I have cute web-site wich Jane from Doodlebears created for me and I hope I can
learn to do this fantastic work by my self...some day....some how ... soon..  :whistle:

Hugs/Marie

Board footer