Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

ajchambers8 Posts: 32

Hello everyone!

I hope you will forgive me for posting this also on another 'bear board' but I would love to hear what you think of  my newest bear, who I think is quite an intruiging chap!...and hopefully, given the description someone may help me put a name to him!...as usual, he is one of the many who have suffered of the years of either being 'very well loved' or terribly neglected and uncared for...the like of whom I especially enjoy adopting.

I have just bought him off of ebay in the uk this evening...I live in London... he was a little more expensive than I would generally pay, but he looked like he 'needed me' so very much and I had watched him all week, winning him in the last ten seconds with out any competetion at all!... therefore as far as I am concerned he was destined to be mine!!!! I think the only other bear I have ever been so 'stressed' out bidding on was my 'Hans' bear...who is in another thread on this web site!

Back to my new boy, he is about 20" tall, and according to the listing had been given to the sellers mother as a child about 60 years ago, making him circa 1940's...though I do appreciate sometimes sellers do embelish their listings a little, I have no reason to doubt this!

As you can see, he was originally golden in colour and has a red felt mouth, the listing says

'he is fully jointed, his mouth used to move with the aid of wooden pinchers on the back of his head'.

On to the pictures,

lurchbear1.jpg
lurchbear_2.jpg
lurchbear3.jpg

Does he ring a bell with anyone?...he shall be loved regardless of course!

Angela xxx

I shall now go and look at the thread about 'The hugglets' bear festival last month as it was the first such thing I have been too and thought it was fantastic!
bear_original

Us Bears Pennsylvania

Sorry...  Can't identify him.  Our Bear encyclopedia doesn't have a picture of any of his brethren.

Any Bear who has his fur worn and shows some "love patches" has put in yoemen's  service taking care of his human.
As far as Bears go, wear and tear is a badge of honor!  :thumbsup:

Let the bare spots be.  If he needs to be sewn up, that would be okay if it's done by a skilled human.  If he needs to be restuffed or otherwise repaired that would be okay, too.

Ask the Bear if he wants some new eyes.  We suggest black "button" eyes or glass eyes.
It's strictly the Bear's decision.  If he wants some, give him new eyes.  Otherwise let him be.

For his name?  Ask him.  If you listen carefully, he'll tell you.  But Bears don't tell people their names just any old time.  You have to pay attention for when it happens.  If you listen long enough he'll tell you.  Be patient. 

I can tell you what he probably would REALLY like!
He wants a cookie!  Preferably chocolate!  :D
Give the Bear a cookie!  He'll love you forever!

ThomasAdam Thomas Adam
Southampton
Website
ajchambers8 wrote:

I have just bought him off of ebay in the uk this evening...I live in London... he was a little more expensive than I would generally pay, but he looked like he 'needed me' so very much and I had watched him all week, winning him in the last ten seconds with out any competetion at all!... therefore as far as I am concerned he was destined to be mine!!!! I think the only other bear I have ever been so 'stressed' out bidding on was my 'Hans' bear...who is in another thread on this web site!

He looks like a Chad Valley teddy to me -- his nose, the shape of his ears, and the colour of what fur he has left (bless him!) remind me of that style, especially from the early 1950s.

I might be wrong though, but I would look into it.  He's a charming example.  Will you get his well-loved look restored with fur?  :)

-- Thomas Adam

thank you both for the intel!
US bears , you are quite right that he will suggest all when he gets here!... I wouldn't seek to undertake any repairing unless necessary, for the good of his health!...all my bears have lived long lives, with various owners and now in their retirement do not have to fear going under the needle for the sake of 'cosmetic' purposes!...they are free to be the bear they are!

Thank you Thomas for your suggestion too!... it is difficult to tell really!... the main extent of my knowledge is what I have learned as each bear has come along!... I did however buy  Pauline cockrills encyclopedia (which seems to be favoured by all) and I looked through that and two other books about bears, but really didnt find a likeness anywhere!...I shall look again at the chad valley bears!

for some reason I am fascinated by the open bears with the bold red mouths!...finding one that used be movable is amazing!...
Angela

ThomasAdam Thomas Adam
Southampton
Website
ajchambers8 wrote:

Thank you Thomas for your suggestion too!... it is difficult to tell really!... the main extent of my knowledge is what I have learned as each bear has come along!... I did however buy  Pauline cockrills encyclopedia (which seems to be favoured by all)

Yes, it's a good book (and its on my own bookshelf), but it's not the only reference.  I have many teddy bear books, and all of them have different teddy bear photos.  :)  I did have a quick look through for you, but didn't see anything obvious.

I am still going to stick to my assumption and claim it's a Chad Valley.   :)

-- Thomas Adam

Hehe Thomas I must search and see if chad valley did indeed make a bear who opened and closed his mouth via such levers! ...sometimes a nudge in the right direction is all it takes!.... of course once he has arrived and is settled in and ready for his close up, I shall take more photo's myself...all my bears have their portrait photo taken !
Angela bear_grin

Board footer